Welcome to My Way Out ! We’re glad you found us. Please remember this forum does not replace medical advice. We urge to you seek professional help, especially if you are experiencing symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Look here for information about what to expect based on how much you're drinking. We hope you will register as a user in our forum and take advantage of the many rich resources here. Join our community today! It's fast, simple, anonymous and absolutely free!


Go Back   My Way Out Forums > Introduction & General Discussion > Topamax, Campral, Baclofen and Other Medications
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default Methadone + Baclofen,is it safe?

Hi,
I am about to start taking baclofen,just waiting for it to arrive from inhouse.
Ordered it 1 wk ago,so should be here soon!
In the meantime,a very close friend of mine,is very interested in taking bac herself,but is currently reducing on methadone,because of previous methadone abuse/addiction. She also has alcoholism,but has been Alcohol Free for 10 mths now,so is not interested in nal. Can anyone tell me if it is safe for her to take bac with methadone,and will it work the same? She is only on a very low dose of methadone at the moment,about 35 ml i think.

Thanks in advance for any,and all replies
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 AM
startingover's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 30,339
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Hiya relocated.
I am not sure about the methadone/bac interactions but I am curious, why would your friend want to start taking bac if she has been AF for 10 months?
Hope you are doing OK.
__________________
Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingover View Post
Hiya relocated.
I am not sure about the methadone/bac interactions but I am curious, why would your friend want to start taking bac if she has been AF for 10 months?
Hope you are doing OK.
Hi startingover,
Shes been AF for 10 mths,but still has massive cravings for alcohol,just dry/hanging in there! She was AF for 2 years before,and then relapsed into her worst period of drinking and cross addiction ever! If your craving,and white knuckling,no matter how long your AF,your always close to relapse,esp with underlying mood disorders.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Sorry startingover,
Yes im ok thanx, just eagerly awaiting my bac
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
hippie37's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,822
Gallery: 1
My Mood:
Recipes: 2
Default

Morning relocated. I think that's a question more for the 'professionals' regarding the use of the meds. No one here has the qualification to give that kind of advice you're looking for to be honest. (Unless we have any qualified medical professionals amongst us that I don't know about!)

As I've never been through a harm reduction program too I wouldn't like to comment as to what the effects the methadone may be having on your friend in the way of cravings with alcohol.

But, from my own experience with cravings I found after a few weeks the cravings were more 'mental' than physical. I was still in the same mindset and still being a dry drunk/powder-less junkie. This felt even more tortuous than when I was drinking and using. Nothing had shifted internally for me because I was still addressing the problem as being the substances I used rather than the underlying symptoms that lead me to use them. Addiction you will find has nothing to do with the substances but the behaviours that have lead us into using them in the first place.

Has your friend considered addiction counseling through maybe a treatment center or on a 1 x 1 basis? I would strongly advise this route, having gone through treatment myself for my own addiction issues. I'm not saying this is the only way either, some are not ready for that intense kind of commitment whilst still on a harm reduction program. A lot of places will only consider treatment if the client is abstinent too. What about the fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous? It's not for everyone but it's where I started out on my path into sobriety. There are many options open to your friend whilst reducing on the methadone that will give her the support she needs. She just has to be willing to go to any lengths to get well.

But I agree with you totally; if you're white knuckling it you are definitely at some point going to relapse. I hope this is not the case again with your friend.

I wish you both well.

Love and Light
Phil
xx
__________________
"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
Clean and sober 25th January 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
eight days a week's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southeast England
Posts: 461
Gallery: 0
Default

It makes best sense to start Bac when abstinent if you can, my alcohol specialist says (but the he doesn't subscribe to the Ameisen model).

I absolutely agree with hippie that your friend needs expert medical guidance here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie37 View Post
Addiction you will find has nothing to do with the substances but the behaviours that have lead us into using them in the first place.
This is your opinion hippie, not a fact, and an opinion I'd disagree with. Of course behaviour has a strong link to addiction, but if what you say is true, people who deal totally with the behaviours would be able to resume 'normal', healthy use of substances they previously had a problem with, and the number of people who can do that seem to be very rare indeed. Conversely, no-one would have success with reaching abstinence or near abstinence through Baclofen or Naltrexone (using TSM) before addressing behaviours, and that quite clearly isn't the case.

That's not to say that a good many people don't find abstinence by following the same path that you have. And if it works, it works
__________________
(Not able to come here much these days, if I don't reply to something or you'd like to talk please PM me and I'll see it in my email inbox. Best wishes to all! )
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Lo0p's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,751
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

I can't really comment on the baclofen and methadone other than to say I doubt it would be a problem but she needs to talk to a doctor.

If she took a naltrexone pill while on methadone, she'll feel like she had died and gone to hell... She'd go into opiate withdrawals immediately and they wouldn't subside for days.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie37 View Post
Morning relocated. I think that's a question more for the 'professionals' regarding the use of the meds. No one here has the qualification to give that kind of advice you're looking for to be honest. (Unless we have any qualified medical professionals amongst us that I don't know about!)

As I've never been through a harm reduction program too I wouldn't like to comment as to what the effects the methadone may be having on your friend in the way of cravings with alcohol.

But, from my own experience with cravings I found after a few weeks the cravings were more 'mental' than physical. I was still in the same mindset and still being a dry drunk/powder-less junkie. This felt even more tortuous than when I was drinking and using. Nothing had shifted internally for me because I was still addressing the problem as being the substances I used rather than the underlying symptoms that lead me to use them. Addiction you will find has nothing to do with the substances but the behaviours that have lead us into using them in the first place.

Has your friend considered addiction counseling through maybe a treatment center or on a 1 x 1 basis? I would strongly advise this route, having gone through treatment myself for my own addiction issues. I'm not saying this is the only way either, some are not ready for that intense kind of commitment whilst still on a harm reduction program. A lot of places will only consider treatment if the client is abstinent too. What about the fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous? It's not for everyone but it's where I started out on my path into sobriety. There are many options open to your friend whilst reducing on the methadone that will give her the support she needs. She just has to be willing to go to any lengths to get well.

But I agree with you totally; if you're white knuckling it you are definitely at some point going to relapse. I hope this is not the case again with your friend.

I wish you both well.

Love and Light
Phil
xx
Hi Hippie37,
thanks for the reply,i appreciate the sincerity of your words,and am pleased to hear,that you found release form your illness,in the manner in which you did.
However,,my friend and i for that matter have been down the road of AA,NA rehabs,(12step and otherwise)CBT, personal one to one psychotherapy,addiction counselling,relapse prevention.......the list is endless! Sadly none of these methods/programs,can cure or suppress,the disease(for that is what it truly is)of alcoholism/addiction and their underlying causes.
But thankyou for the imput,it has been appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight days a week View Post
It makes best sense to start Bac when abstinent if you can, my alcohol specialist says (but the he doesn't subscribe to the Ameisen model).

I absolutely agree with hippie that your friend needs expert medical guidance here.



This is your opinion hippie, not a fact, and an opinion I'd disagree with. Of course behaviour has a strong link to addiction, but if what you say is true, people who deal totally with the behaviours would be able to resume 'normal', healthy use of substances they previously had a problem with, and the number of people who can do that seem to be very rare indeed. Conversely, no-one would have success with reaching abstinence or near abstinence through Baclofen or Naltrexone (using TSM) before addressing behaviours, and that quite clearly isn't the case.

That's not to say that a good many people don't find abstinence by following the same path that you have. And if it works, it works

Thankyou,eight days a week,
I echo your reasoning 100%,and it really helps to see those words wriitten by someone else!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo0p View Post
I can't really comment on the baclofen and methadone other than to say I doubt it would be a problem but she needs to talk to a doctor.

If she took a naltrexone pill while on methadone, she'll feel like she had died and gone to hell... She'd go into opiate withdrawals immediately and they wouldn't subside for days.
Thanks Loop,
Thats how i see it too
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -2. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.1.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32