Welcome to My Way Out ! We’re glad you found us. Please remember this forum does not replace medical advice. We urge to you seek professional help, especially if you are experiencing symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Look here for information about what to expect based on how much you're drinking. We hope you will register as a user in our forum and take advantage of the many rich resources here. Join our community today! It's fast, simple, anonymous and absolutely free!


Go Back   My Way Out Forums > Daily Life > Recipe Corner > Recipe Corner Archive
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
RingingCedars's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,576
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Looks like some tasty recipes. NS I'm a bit perplexed at your BPA and Guar Gum concerns but use a microwave. What is the concern with guar gum?
__________________
SILENT DEFENDER

“Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.”

St. Francis of Assisi


I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
NoSugar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,686
Gallery: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingingCedars View Post
Looks like some tasty recipes. NS I'm a bit perplexed at your BPA and Guar Gum concerns but use a microwave. What is the concern with guar gum?

Hi, RC -- Welcome to the thread!

Anything there about BPA and Guar Gum was because I reproduced the recipe directly.

I do try to avoid BPA but that is very difficult, at least in the US. When I used to bake more, I generally used Xanthan gum rather than Guar gum but since I rarely bake now other than some of the almond flour recipes that typically don't have those ingredients, I don't use those either, but not because I have any particular concerns about them.

Also, the microwaved bacon was the recipe as written. I personally don't microwave bacon but I posted that one just because of how delicious the bacon/guac combo is.

I will do a better job of annotating recipes in the future so it does not sound like I'm either advocating (or not) something the recipe writer wrote. (I was being lazy...)!

NS
__________________
Recovery is contagious and recovery is spread by recovery carriers. Bill White
AF: 24 January 2013 ---Newbies Nest ---Toolbox ---
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Siren136's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,319
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

I know the point of this recipe thread is for whole foods, particularly low-carb eating. However waste is one of my hugest pet peeves, so I thought I'd share a couple ideas.

1) Make your own chicken/turkey stock. Take the carcas from a roasted chicken or turkey and put it in the biggest soup pot you can find. Cover it with water. Add roughly chopped carrots (3), celery (3 stalks), onion (1), and Italian spices (basil, oregano, etc). Add spices you like - don't forget salt and pepper. Boil for a couple of hours then remove the chicken bones. Preserve them to remove the meat.

Strain the broth through a cheesecloth and discard the vegetables and spices. Remove as much meat from the bones and keep for soup. Broth can be clarified but this is not necessary. Just based on preference.

2) Make your own vegetable stock. When I am preparing vegetables for everyday meals, I save all the stuff I cut off my vegetables (broccoli stems, carrot ends/eels, potato skins, etc). About the only things I don't save are lettuce leaves and onion paper (they don't freeze well). I put them in the freezer until I have enough to make stock.

The method is the same - put it all in a pot with as much water as you can. Add spices and boil for at least a couple of hours. Then strain through a cheesecloth and store. The more vegetables you add the better. I will usually add onion, celery, carrot to ensure the taste is OK.

A tip is to put some stock in ice cube trays in case just a bit is needed.
__________________
Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 AM
myhappyplace's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 9,580
Gallery: 0
Default

Hi NS

I'm shockingly lazy so just throwing in a couple of links I love:

Recipes : The Healthy Chef – Teresa Cutter

recipe index


Worth sifting through...
__________________
AF - 1 October 2011

Last edited by myhappyplace; 03-02-2013 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
NoSugar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,686
Gallery: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren136 View Post
I know the point of this recipe thread is for whole foods, particularly low-carb eating. However waste is one of my hugest pet peeves, so I thought I'd share a couple ideas.

1) Make your own chicken/turkey stock. Take the carcas from a roasted chicken or turkey and put it in the biggest soup pot you can find. Cover it with water. Add roughly chopped carrots (3), celery (3 stalks), onion (1), and Italian spices (basil, oregano, etc). Add spices you like - don't forget salt and pepper. Boil for a couple of hours then remove the chicken bones. Preserve them to remove the meat.

Strain the broth through a cheesecloth and discard the vegetables and spices. Remove as much meat from the bones and keep for soup. Broth can be clarified but this is not necessary. Just based on preference.

2) Make your own vegetable stock. When I am preparing vegetables for everyday meals, I save all the stuff I cut off my vegetables (broccoli stems, carrot ends/eels, potato skins, etc). About the only things I don't save are lettuce leaves and onion paper (they don't freeze well). I put them in the freezer until I have enough to make stock.

The method is the same - put it all in a pot with as much water as you can. Add spices and boil for at least a couple of hours. Then strain through a cheesecloth and store. The more vegetables you add the better. I will usually add onion, celery, carrot to ensure the taste is OK.

A tip is to put some stock in ice cube trays in case just a bit is needed.

Thank you, Siren!

This is just the type of thing I was hoping to find here. We KNOW what is in the food we make for ourselves - and all of this is good food. Plus, it is so much less expensive. I generally buy the boxed Pacifica or Imagine stocks and they are very pricey. Except in the middle of winter when I am too cold and lazy to go to the back of the yard, I compost my vegetable scraps. So I can just add the 'freeze and make stock' step before that.

A similar tip I came across recently was to freeze fresh herbs or dried herbs in ice cube trays in olive oil. That way you can just throw one or two into whatever you are making.

By the way, I thought that instead of making this a low carb or paleo thread or whatever, since different eating patterns are best for different people depending on several factors including genetics, it would be one with recipes like yours here - foods made from real foods as opposed to fake or highly processed products (e.g. a can of condensed mushroom soup poured over green beans with Funyuns on top, which is what I grew up eating...). I eat a lot of high fat dairy products so I imagine that people who feel better when they don't consume them will just ignore those recipes when I post them. Anyway, that is how I envision this thread operating.

There was an article recently that Americans waste (in the field + from the table) approximately 40% of the food supply. This is inexcusable given the number of people here and throughout the world facing hunger. Tips to save food and money are great!


Quote:
Originally Posted by myhappyplace View Post
Hi NS

I'm shockingly lazy so just throwing in a couple of links I love:

Recipes : The Healthy Chef – Teresa Cutter

recipe index

Worth sifting through...
Thanks for the links, MHP! I will check them out this weekend!


NS
__________________
Recovery is contagious and recovery is spread by recovery carriers. Bill White
AF: 24 January 2013 ---Newbies Nest ---Toolbox ---
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Siren136's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,319
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

I occasionally cook with ginger, but not enough to keep it in the fridge. I tip I recently learned is to buy a decent-sized piece and peel it, then freeze it. It's super easy to grate into things and keeps forever.
__________________
Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Siren136's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,319
Gallery: 0
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugar View Post
Thank you, Siren!

A similar tip I came across recently was to freeze fresh herbs or dried herbs in ice cube trays in olive oil. That way you can just throw one or two into whatever you are making.
Does oil freeze beyond sludge? I'll need to check. I have heard to just freeze fresh herbs, too. My spice cabinet is a mess and I really want to use more fresh herbs, so I plan to experiment with this. So much less expensive!!!

I also have a food dehydrator, and I will dehydrate herbs to keep from wasting them.
__________________
Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM
NoSugar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,686
Gallery: 0
Default

I am tired of all my single-use kitchen appliances but a dehydrator might be worth it. Let me know how it works with herbs, ok?? Thanks.
__________________
Recovery is contagious and recovery is spread by recovery carriers. Bill White
AF: 24 January 2013 ---Newbies Nest ---Toolbox ---
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM
looking for peace's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 513
Gallery: 0
Default

No Sugar, I am loving going thru this thread. Lots of great ideas and recipes.

I just made this frittata for dinner tonight. Frittatas are great because you can eat them hot or room temperature, for breakfast, lunch or dinner and they are pretty easy to make

Caremalized Cauliflower and Onion Fritatta

1/2 head of cauliflower
1 large onion, chopped
Olive oil or coconut oil
10 eggs, or 5 eggs and 1 and 1/4 cup egg beaters
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Onion powder
Salt

First, caremalize the cauliflower by chopping up a half a head into 1 inch chunks. Spray the cauliflour chunks with olive oil or coconut oil. ( I use a Misto oil sprayer since there are no added propellents or silicones and you use your own oil) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes, stirring halfway through. Take out of the oven and sprinkle with salt and onion powder. Let the cauliflower cool off. When cooled, chop roughly.

While caremalizing the cauliflower, sauté the chopped onion in oil. Use a nonstick pan that can withstand 350 degree oven temperature. Let the onions cool off. Beat the eggs, some salt and baking powder together. Add shredded cheese to the mix, if you want to. Add the chopped cauliflower to the pan with the onions. Pour egg mixture into pan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until center is firm.

I adapted this recipe from reading and experimenting.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
looking for peace's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 513
Gallery: 0
Default

I know I've been posting mostly on low carb, no gluten bread recipes.... But I just experimented with a low carb gluten free hamburger bun and it was really good.

Quick Low carb hamburger bun

2 tbs ground flaxseed
1 tb melted coconut oil
Pinch of salt
1/2 beaten egg
1/4 tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients in a bowl which has a bottom about the size of a hamburger bun. Put in microwave on high for about 50 to 60 seconds. Let the bun stay in the bowl for a few minutes. Cut the bun in half horizontally and use for your favorite burger. Alternately you can divide the recipe in 2 and use 2 bowls for a better shaped bun.

If you want to cut some calories, you can use 1/2 tbs oil and 1/2 tbs unsweetened apple sauce instead of 1 tb oil.

Adapted this recipe by experimenting with the skinny muffin recipe.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -2. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.1.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32