Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird side effect on Bac

Hi there,

I'm on Day 85 of a baclofen regimen, and experiencing a weird side effect that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced.

Basically, a few hours after the third dose -- this would usually mean late in the evening -- I start hearing/feeling a "whooshing" sound inside my head, as if I was feeling blood rushing through veins or something. It occurs a couple inches behind the temples, simultaneously on both sides. It usually only occurs occasionally, but last night as I was trying to go to sleep it started occurring every 3 seconds; not frequently enough to coincide with my heart rate. I started to get worried, but then realized that my worry might be exacerbating it... I got out of bed, sat on the sofa and turned on the light, and was able to use some focused breathing techniques to make it go away after 10 minutes or so.

Anyhow, has anyone on BAC ever experienced this??

Thanks!

EH

Hi EH, most of the meds members have moved to the new meds forum, The End Of My Addiction | Forum Discussing Alcohol Medication so you might get better luck checking in over there. A few of them still check in here from time to time as well though. Good luck on your journey!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

OK, thank you!!

Comment

Hi Eraserhead! Love your username

I have never experienced that specific SE, but I know from experience that all kinds of strange things happen when you're titrating up. I would wake up and become convinced that I would stop breathing if I fell back asleep. Of course, I would fall back asleep and wake up just fine. Later, I discussed that SE with a few other people and I found out that it was a common one. And yet, we all woke up just fine. It was just our brains playing games with us.

Feel free to join us over at www.theendofouraddiction.org, or you can stay here, I'm sure more people will chime in. Welcome and thanks for posting!

Comment

Re: Weird side effect on Bac

Originally posted by EraserHead View Post
          Hi there,

I'm on Day 85 of a baclofen regimen, and experiencing a weird side effect that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced.
          I have never had this side effect, god knows I have had a few

How is your Baclofen experience going?

Regards

Bacman
          I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
          Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply! I actually went over to The End Of My Addiction | Forum Discussing Alcohol Medication and have been reading the posts there on BAC. I did find at least one other user who experienced this "Brain Whoosh" (my technical term for it) SE and lives to tell about it!

A couple things:

One is that I realized I was taking a supplement every day that, it turns out, also affects GABA(b): ("AMPK Activator" by Life Extension). So I cut that one out and the "Brain Whoosh" ameliorated substantially.

The other thing is that a user over there recommended not drinking while titrating up. I had been working under the theory that I should go ahead and drink while going up, so I would know when I hit that "indifference" switch. While I find myself drinking quite a bit less than before, I am now at 360mg and have yet to feel anything like indifference. In fact, at a dinner party last night I managed to drink a substantial amount of wine, followed by more when I got home while watching late-night TV by myself.

I have read reports of people who believe it's possible to "drink through" your switch, and am wondering if I should titrate back down to 200 or so, then quit drinking, titrate back up, and see if that works better.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by _serenity_ View Post
              I have never experienced that specific SE, but I know from experience that all kinds of strange things happen when you're titrating up. I would wake up and become convinced that I would stop breathing if I fell back asleep. Of course, I would fall back asleep and wake up just fine. Later, I discussed that SE with a few other people and I found out that it was a common one. And yet, we all woke up just fine. It was just our brains playing games with us.
              That's pretty funny! I actually chose a pretty bad time to start titrating up when I was visiting my sister, who lives at an altitude of around 9500 feet where the air is nice and thin, and I was sleeping in my nephew's room which is in the basement with no windows in a bed that is too small, and then waking up at 2am, head buzzing as you do, claustrophobic, unable to breathe... Thank goodness for HBO GO. Fun times!

Comment

Working...
              X