Need support - Just starting out AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not new here. Some of you probably remember me. It's been a very long time since I've posted (or tried to control my drinking). But 10 days ago, my husband (who had never spoken to me so honestly about my drinking) said he was worried that if I carried on the way I am (A bottle of wine a day), I'd be dead before I was 50. I don't think I'll be dead that soon, but that's not the point. The point is I felt his pain. I felt sad for him, but glad he'd spoken out. So I went to my GP, got bloods done, and pursuaded her to prescibe Antabuse, which she did. She told me to wait for the blood test results before swallowing my first Antabuse as she wanted to be sure it would be ok. Well, I got the results today. They weren't perfect but they were good enough for me to take an Antabuse. However, I couldn't bring myself to. Please can some of you wonderful people get on my back and support me. I want to be asked tommorrow morning whether I did it. I need to feel I can do it and to be accountable to someone. I feel alone as if I'm losing a friend in the wine. I know it's ridiculous. I also know you'll understand. Thank you.

welcome back . great start good luck with the meds and we are here for you . peace and godbless
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Cookinghappy, welcome back!!! Its not enough doing this because you feel your husband's pain -you have to really want to do this for yourself. If you don't want to give it up enough, then no matter how much support you get from this site, it just won't happen. You know you're not giving up a friend, you're giving up the poison thats killing your brain, your liver and your spirit. Think carefully and make the right choice.

good luck,

Janicexxx
      AF since 9 May 2012
      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Hi cookinghappy,
        I think anyone that makes the commitment to start themselves on antabuse is very brave and strong. There are several here that are taking it, and seem to be doing really well. It takes the pressure off from making the decision whether to go ahead and drink or not when you simpy cannot. I know more will be here to give you their encouragment on that particular subject. You know the wine is not your friend if it's causing problems, if you know this program you know there are lots of tools we can use to help us in this struggle.
        We'll be there for you all the way!

BTW--I've taken an interest in cooking to fill my time. Any tips?
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Dear Cooking,

I can feel your pain and am right where you are at. I keep "wanting" to start and keep giving it a good go for oh about a day or two then my old habits call my name again. I have even made it 2 weeks and 1 month before! I want to do it so much for my kids and hubby but not for me....and I know that is where I need to be and get to. I think with help I can be there.

You are at a great time to give up the booze since your blood levels are good enough to start...much better than not!....now is the time to stop and make a difference in yourself, your body and family. How wonderful for you to have a hubby who must really love you to open up to you like that.

I will support you any way I can. Only YOU can decide if you are ready to take the Antabuse! I haven't, but lots have with success on this site. They say it "takes the option to drink out of your hands". We all wake up in the morning not wanting to drink, but by our drinking time...the demons start lurking....with Anabuse you know you "just can not drink, period!"

Best of luck to you! I am stepping my way back up on topa to see if I can quit this cycle also. Day 3 AF for me! Let me know how your doing....maybe we can help each other.

Hugs, Bambi
          "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." -- Walt Disney

Comment

Welcome back cookinghappy! I remember you. I, too, have a prescrip for antabuse which I took for a couple of weeks. It really does help take that frustration away because you can't drink on it.

Unfortunately for me I went off and started drinking again. I am going to resume taking it, forever, if I have to - starting in a few days when the alcohol is out of my system.

Anyway, I just wanted to say it is good to you here.

Comment

Welcome back! I've been on and off here for over a year, sometimes to do with what stage I'm at and sometimes due to just being very busy - I think lots of people people come and go. Anyway, great decision to come back and you know you will get lots of support here.
              Nicole

Comment

Hi cooking

Been here before too, made it through 18months, then made the mistake of thinking 'I'm better now...' oops. But day 9 and taking it ODAT. We can only live for this moment, so make it a good one (maybe AF?) and you'll want another just like it. Baby steps. We're here to help you keep your balance whilst stepping off... hugs nj

Comment

Merlot...I believe that perception is reality in this case. I don't think that the amount of AL you consume each day is really the issue. I.e. I was consuming 24 beers per day and pretty functional most of the time. If I cut down to 1 litre per day it would be like childs play to my system.

I think that it is how you, your friends, and your family feel about your drinking. If you feel like trash the next morning you most likely have an issue.

Comment

Hello - and welcome back. Actually I have only been here since January 18th. I understand not wanting to give up the beast. He can be so nice sometimes. Comes in looking so sweet. :heartsnflowers: You know he is going to make you feel good. At least for a little while. But then, later, BAM!!! He turns into the BIG, FAT, UGLY MONSTER:alf:

But you can't let him keep on fooling you. You have to be strong. You have to be able to see him coming. See past his little charade. And then beat the living shit out of him :bat (the bat is the antabuse)

You go GIRL!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X