Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Greetings Nesters,

Happy Valentine’s day if you celebrate. It’s kind of a non-event around here anymore haha!
    Had to wait until 2 pm for the ice to melt so I could safely get out to care for my chickens. They don’t notice time the way we do, they were fine. Nothing much else happening here.

Byrdie, sorry about your cousin’s fall. That’s a lot of injuries to deal with, hope she heals OK.
    No vaccines for us yet, they’re still in the 1st group & we’re both in that group. Just not enough vaccine available so we wait.

NS, a concert on TV sounds just fine, hope you both enjoy it from the comfort of your living room

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good cold morning Nest! We sure snuggled in with plenty of feathers last night, as it got down to -11F! I'm SO thankful for our furnace and our warm and cozy house!

Glad to hear some of you or yours are getting vaccines. I'm guessing I'm far down the list. But I'm double masking and taking care of myself. Doing what I can do, aside from completely isolating. That has consequences too.

Gosh Byrdie - that was a terrible fall. Best thoughts for her recovery.

NS, what have you found with concerts? My husband, in particular, really misses live music. He saw some "Save the Stages" performances. Where else are you finding shows?

LAV, simple chicken time sounds nice. I look forward to having more time for crafts too! Enjoy.

I am coming up on 3years-3months sober (well, not for another month, but it's fun to say), and I am amazed at what has changed in my life, and with my attitude about alcohol. At first, it was everything I could do to just push it away and make myself find other ways of coping. Then I went through a phase where I was disgusted and very judgmental about other people drinking. But now, I'm just at peace with the fact that I don't drink. I'm not bashful about telling people, and I just live other ways. My life is fuller and deeper and happier and more meaningful. I feel I'm achieving life goals. And as long as others aren't causing serious harm to themselves or others, they can do what they want. Of course, I support helping people find their best life and I don't believe alcohol as a coping method is healthy.

Glad to have you all!
      Last edited by KENSHO; February 15, 2021, 10:58 AM.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good MAE All:

Glad to hear that, Kensho. That's how I feel - so glad to be sober. I had a family health scare that included a 4am trip to the hospital on Saturday/Sunday (not for me). It all worked out fine but there was certainly a time when I would have been very hungover and/or still drunk at 4am on a Saturday. So grateful I could be there, clear eyed and ready to go.

J-vo, I hope all is well and you're feeling good. Wags, I hope you're ok, too, and your wife and her family

Lav - stay inside with all that ice! I had a boss who fell on ice and got a compound fracture on her arm. Very horrible.

I am really looking forward to more people being vaccinated. For now, it seems like ready, set, wait. We'll get up to speed one of these days...

Happy SOBER Presidents' Day here in the US, although I most certainly am not celebrating ALL of our presidents...

Pav

Comment

Hi, Kensho. I think my husband is on some mailing list where livestream concerts get announced. This was Dave Koz and Brian McKnight and was very good.
          Your alcohol attitude sounds very healthy!

How wonderful you were totally THERE for your family, Pav. I was so glad when I was able to be part of the solution, again, instead of adding to the problem or somehow try to manipulate the situation to force others to do the hard stuff.

I hope your cousin continues to improve, Byrdie. What a horrible thing to have happen.

Lav, you might want to check the Walgreen's website. My husband (w/ underlying health problems) was able to get one there last Sat even though none were available via the county health service.

We have a lot of snow and are getting more. It would be kind of fun to go out in but not at a temp of 0F!!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Chilly & cloudy ahead of yet another ice storm due here soon. We certainly do not need anymore but that’s what we’re getting.
            We decided to make a quick run to the grocery store ahead of this weather, can’t run out of decaf or something, haha!! I read on a Weather Channel FB post last night that April & May are going to be warmer than usual. The warm up may even begin the 2nd half of March. I guess it won’t be long before we’re out there gardening again

Kensho, I figure I lived thru the harsh, stressful work years (Nursing), raised & sent 2 kids thru college, took care of all the elders in their final years, made it thru my own period of depression & drinking, my husband’s Psychiatrist diagnosed severe chronic depression so the rest of the time on earth is MY time. I devoted a lot of years helping with the grandkids & loved every minute. Now it’s down to caring for animals, crafts & myself I hope all of you can do the same in the future!!

Pav, I am so careful when it comes to ice, LOL. I took care of so many older women who fell on ice & fractured something, ouch. Don’t want to be one of them,

NS, I use Walgeens as my pharmacy & have checked in every day. Sounds like they haven’t even received any vaccines yet, ugh. I need to be patient I guess. Glad your husband lucked out.

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Happy UnHung Tuesday everyone.

Pav, that is such a great feeling when you have to get up at 4am and actually can be a functioning person instead of hungover or still drunk. I love that! Even now when my dogs get sick or I have to get up for some reason, it is such a blessing to be able to function properly.

We are warming up here !!! It is -16C right now and going up to -6C, yay!!! We went through a deep freeze and it really sucked but now that it is warming up all is forgotten. haha. Yeah, we have lots of ice. My mom has 'cleats' on her snow boots and goes for walks in them. They work pretty good. We have to resort to these kinds of things or we would not leave the house.

Ken, I am glad you are doing so well. It is nice to say "I don't drink", I used to feel embarassed to say that but now I am proud.
              Lav, I am so glad you got through that and made it to where you are today. You are an inspiration.

Neen- I hope you are ok. We are here for you xo.

We don't have many cases right now here and work is pretty slow which is good. It sure makes for a boring work day though. I am on night shift for the next two days and it is pretty sweet working from home.

Have a good one everybody, and don't drink today.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters & Happy Fat Tuesday

Such an odd but nice day. It warmed up to 50 F for a few minutes & now the temp is dropping like a stone, back to freezing haha!n Thursday will be an all day snow event, oh well.

Narilly, I hope things stay quiet in your area. No one has been able to get the vaccine yet around here so we just sit & wait.
                Luckily I can entertain myself so I’m not climbing the walls or anything

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

I don't have much to add but wanted to check in. I can't believe this weather we're having across the country, and I hope everyone is safe and warm enough. Byrdie, we're wimps here, too. It hovers around 50-60F for most of the winter (a bit colder at night) - hard to complain. Thanks, Pacific Ocean.

Have great days.
                  Pav

Comment

Good evening all,

Pav it’s 25F right now & my joints are screaming because there’s a snow storm on the way, haha!! I’ll live just like to complain a little. We’ve had snow on the ground for the past 17 days. Another 6-10” on the way.
                    I do feel sorry for the folks unequipped & unprepared for this weather especially in Texas & Louisiana.

I made a pot of dairy free cream of mushroom soup, yum. I use homemade cashew cream in place of dairy cream & it works great. I am grateful for Google’s help in finding delicious ways to live sans dairy, LOL.

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Happy Un Hung Thursday everyone.

Your weather is crazy in the U.S., poor people. We have had a cold snap for a few weeks now but we are totally equipped for that. Besides all the gear:coats, boots, mitts, toques etc., we have snow tires, snow plows, highly insulated houses with central heating and a regulated electricity grid. I have been watching and listening to the poor people in Texas and its so awful.
                      Yeah, Pav, you are lucky to have pretty moderate weather.

Lav, I love cream of mushroom soup, it is delicious.

I have the day off today but work tomorrow and the weekend. It is still slow right now since our cases have gone down. I did a call yesterday and the lady went to work the day AFTER she had a fever and walked through the airport visiting people during this time. "I felt fine and didn't think I was positive" , FFS you had a Fever in a pandemic! Some people are not that smart.

Hey have a good day, xo.
                      Don't drink today.
                      Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, All:

(or just Lav!) Nar, that's good that your job is slow I guess, unless you get paid by the call. Are you still looking for a different job for when the pandemic is over, or are you just sticking with that one? Either way, it would be nice to work from home in that weather. Stay warm.

Lav, that sounds good. Do you just Google "vegan cream of mushroom soup?" Or do you make the substitutions yourself? Is cashew milk just cashews and water? We made homemade pizza last night - complete with gluten, dairy and meat. It was delicious!

Hope all of the rest of you are ok and enjoying your sober lives. Are you still around J-Vo? Wags, hope your family is ok.

x
                        Pav

Comment

Where is everyone?? Hope everyone in the states with power and water problems are doing ok. It finally is warming up past the single digits here, so that's a big relief! I had to grocery shop today and it struck me again how much wine I would have had to buy to make it last for 2 or 3 weeks. I'm embarrassed just thinking of it! (I sure would have liked the self check-out option back in the bad old days - I was convinced all of the clerks knew my secret :egad: )

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Snow arrived in the pre-dawn hours & stopped 6 or 7 inches later. Young neighbor plowed the driveway again, bless him. He will be getting a half dozen sourdough banana nut muffins shortly
                            Not much else going on today but that’s fine with me.

Narilly, the central & southern portions of the country are totally unprepared for winter weather. Climate change is causing this & they need to up their game plans. It is sad seeing so many people in such a bad way this week. Where I’m located in the mid-Atlantic region we are fully insulated & prepared for these weather extremes, be it heat or cold!!
                            I agree with you that some people seem to have no common sense & it’s become deadly during the pandemic. What’s it going to take to get people to understand how easily the virus is spread?

Pav, glad you enjoyed your homemade pizza, sounds good!
                            I live near Kennett Square, the mushroom capital of the world, haha! There are many mushroom growers in the area so having access to super fresh mushrooms is a treat. I use this recipe & make changes to fit my needs: Kennett Square Mushroom Soup Recipe - Food.com
                            I buy raw cashews, soak them a little then toss them in my Ninja blender with water & any flavorings I want to make cashew cream, savory or sweet. Oat milk works wonders too for cooking or baking.

NS, congrats on the double digits, LOl
                            It’s sitting at 27 here so ice is forming on everything including my freshly plowed driveway, ugh!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Happy fat friday nester's!

Had probs logging on past week or so, but MWO has me covered. - 6 the other day Nar? Balmy!

Big hello's and waves to evabody. Lav, would love to try your soups some day.

How's Biden and crew doing? Take it easy friends.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy Un Hung Friday everyone!

I work this evening, things are slow at work but that is ok. I get paid by the hour and don't mind I think it is the easiest job I have ever had...

I have a hankerin for pizza, thanks Pav and Lav, all you have to do is say the word 'Pizza' and I want it!

Nice to you you G,and it is above 0 today. OH Yeah baby!!

Lav, that is so cool that you are living near the mushroom capital, I love mushrooms. What a treat to have such a variety of dishes to try.

Well, I am off to enjoy the weather before I work. have a good one evabody, xo.
                                Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X