Baclofen Potency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Potency

I've been titrating up on baclofen for 3 months. First using Fexobac 10mg and 25mg tablets from GenPharma India through 4rx.com, then adding a US filled prescription from my doctor of 20mg tablets of baclofen manufacted by IVAX USA. I have switched back and forth, and combined the two and honestly cannot tell the difference between them. I have, at times, experienced some severe side effects. My titratation has been largely slow and steady, with one drastic push to 220+ and back down to 120 or so. Now I'm up to 165, with an even slower and steady titration.

There have been many reports on this forum re: concerns about the different potencies of brands of baclofen that we are all using. Houtx's recent post about a conversation with Dr. LeVin where he (LeVin) is suspect of the Indian baclofen Houtx is using has got me thinking a bit (I've also spoken to Dr. LeVin, and I have every reason to believe that he's legitimate and that his advice is sound). So here's some ideas from just a tiny bit of research:

I believe some Baclofen preparations can be racemic, i.e. a mixture of different enantiomers (mirror images of the same drug molecule that look the same, but can be effectively different).

from wikipedia:

(that's lactic acid)

Enantiomers of each other often show different chemical reactions with other substances that are also enantiomers. Since many molecules in the body of living beings are enantiomers themselves, there is often a marked difference in the effects of two enantiomers on living beings. In drugs, for example, the working substance is often one of two enantiomers, while the other one is responsible for adverse effects.

[...]

Another example are the antidepressant drugs Escitalopram (aka Lexapro) and Citalopram (aka Celexa). Citalopram is a racemate [1:1 mixture of (S)-Citalopram and (R)-Citalopram]; Escitalopram [(S)-Citalopram) is a pure enantiomer. The dosages for Escitalopram are typically 1/2 of those for Citalopram, and there are fewer side effects, suggesting that most side effects come from the (R)-enantiomer.

And here's a random medical journal article mentioning potency differences in r and s baclofen enantiomers: Stereoselectivity of spinal neurotransmission: Effects of baclofen enantiomers on tail-flick reflex in rats

Summary Spinal rats and rats with an intact neuraxis received an intrathecal injection of an enantiomer of baclofen. TheR-enantiomer was 100–1000 times more potent than its antipode in inhibiting the tail-flick reflex, both in intact rats and in spinal rats. Spinalization enhanced the inhibitory effects of both enantiomers without altering their dose-response relations. The findings show that baclofen enantiomers have direct actions on stereoselective spinal mechanisms and that spinalization fails to alter the stereoselectivity of spinal mechanisms towards the enantiomers.

Just food for thought. I'm not suggesting that any one company is making *deficient* preparations of baclofen, but each may be using a slightly different formulation that may or may not work in the same way as the next. Many, many folks on this forum are having success with generic baclofen made by companies from all over the world. Some reports on this forum confirm that suddenly switching or substituting other brands in their dosing can cause marked side effects. Baclofen is a generic drug whose patent has expired long ago, the patented information on how to manufacture it should be public. So I would expect that the easiest way for pharmaceutical companies to make baclofen would be to just follow that manufacturing blueprint. Generic drugs have to meet Bioequivalence standards to be certified for use in different countries. It may be more cost effective (or seem unimportant) to produce baclofen in different preparations (especially if bioequivalence is based on a lower dose-80mg max- than we are all taking). Just my 2 cents, and I hope that it's useful information. I think my best advice here is if you are going to switch among different brands of baclofen in your dosing, be sure to do it gradually (i.e 100% Brand A to 75% Brand A + 25% Brand B to 50% Brand A + 50% Brand B to 25% Brand A + 75% Brand B to 100% Brand B - you get the picture). -tk 165mg - equal dosing 8am,4pm,12am (which has really helped a lot) not there yet, but close, I think. Good luck everyone.
    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Baclofen Potency

interesting data, thanks for the info.

Dr. LeVin's concerns about Indian preparations mirror my own, but there is also the subtle undertone that stuff made off-label/off-license in India might not be up to the quality standards of legitimate pharmaceutical companies. This is why I purposely avoided the extremely cheap baclofen and went with a company I knew and (to some extent) trusted: Novartis' Lioresal.

Anecdotal evidence on the boards suggests that Lioresal is more "potent" than the cheaper stuff. I would not be at all surprised if the cheap stuff did not contain the listed dose, was expired, or otherwise adulterated in some way. Not saying it's true, or that it hasn't worked for many people here, just my own thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Baclofen Potency

I noticed that Pacifen is remarkably weaker than Lioresal.
      Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
      That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
      Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
      Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Baclofen Potency

terry, thank you for that very informative and well-organised post.

I have experienced that Bacmax (which I have received from 4rx in India) is not quite as strong as the baclofen I was prescribed in the US, but still equally effective in somewhat higher doses. I base this on the physical response I feel about a half hour after ingesting the various sources of baclofen. Terry's research seems to back up this individual observation/experience.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Baclofen Potency

More from Mr. Wizard.... Here's some excerpts from a document describing a proposed patent for a new extended release baclofen formulation (I had read about this before and in fact, XR formulations for drugs with short half-lives are becoming quite common (Effexor XR, Xanax XR). You might only need to take your dose once per day, rather than 3-4+ times, and you'll have to pay full price, that is, until the patent expires and it becomes available as a generic.

Anyway relevant to baclofen potency:
          (from Sustained release oral dosage forms of a prodrug of r-baclofen and methods of treatment patent description)

While the clinically prescribed baclofen product (Lioresal?) is available only as a racemate, the GABAB receptor agonist activity resides entirely in one enantiomer, R-(−)-baclofen (2) (also termed L-baclofen).

The other isomer, S-baclofen, (3), antagonizes the action of R-baclofen at GABAB receptors and exhibits antinociceptive activity in the rat spinal cord (Terrence et al., Pharmacology 1983, 27, 85-94; and Sawynok et al., Pharmacology 1985, 31, 248-259). Orally administered R-baclofen is reported to be about 5 times more potent than orally administered racemic baclofen, with an R-baclofen regimen of 2 mg t.i.d being equivalent to racemic baclofen at 10 mg t.i.d. (Fromm et al., Neurology 1987, 37(11), 1725-8). Moreover, the adverse effect profile following administration of R-baclofen is significantly reduced relative to an equally efficacious dose of racemic baclofen.

Emphasis mine. There you go. For me this says that a)Available Baclofen formulations may contain a mixture of different types of chemically similar Baclofen molecules. b)One of those distinct types (R-Baclofen) is more potent for beneficial effects (GABAB agonist -ism) while c)the other (S-Baclofen) maybe responsible for adverse side effects and may antagonize (negate) effects of the other (R-Baclofen). I'm guessing that the success of your baclofen treatment (and the amount and severity of side effects) may depend on the specific formulation(s) of baclofen that you are taking. Lioresal is mentioned specifically, a generic that's made in the US (and lots of places) that many of us use, trust and have had success with. I've been using Baclofen made in India and the US. No switch yet, but positive results (with quite a few side effects). Just food for thought, seems pretty interesting to me. Bueller? Bueller? -tk
          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Baclofen Potency

VERY interesting! This is the kind of research that needs to be taking place to develop a true anti-alcoholism drug with minimal side effects. What kind of amazing changes in the world would there be with a viable treatment for alcoholism?

Comment

Baclofen Potency

Many thanks for the fascinating and thought-provoking post Terry There is much here that would ideally be looked at, but what hope have we when they won't even (as yet) properly research Bac's use for alcoholism?

terryk;915988 wrote: b)One of those distinct types (R-Baclofen) is more potent for beneficial effects (GABAB agonist -ism) while c)the other (S-Baclofen) maybe responsible for adverse side effects and may antagonize (negate) effects of the other (R-Baclofen).

(My Bold.) I'm really not sure about this, interesting hypothesis though it is. I've had the most horrendous side effects, starting from the lowest of doses, but have also reaped the benefits of taking the same Bac (UK generic on prescription).

In fact, I'm pretty sure that my sensitivity to this med even at extremely low doses explains both the SEs and
              why it helped me at such small amounts (relatively).
              I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

Baclofen Potency

My point was that the potency/effectiveness of the specific brands of baclofen we are each using *may* depend on it's chemical formulation (which is all baclofen, but could be mixtures of the 2 types - R and S, one of which may be more effective than the other). That could explain why some folks are successfully reaching their switch and some are suffering side effects with no end in sight. I'm saying *could* only *could,* I'm not saying that it actually explains anything. Just something to think about. And it's not my hypothesis, I was just quoting, then paraphrasing what was written in the journal article. Honestly, the articles I've read mostly address baclofen's effectiveness in the context of it's anti-spasmodic action, not it's use for treating alcohol abuse. For all I know, the S-enantiomer of baclofen could be the one that causes the side effects AND solves the drinking problem. -tk

p.s. I've posted this link on this forum before:

A list of Clinical Trials currently testing Baclofen as a treatment for alcohol abuse

Comment

Baclofen Potency

?

terryk;913627 wrote: I've been titrating up on baclofen for 3 months. First using Fexobac 10mg and 25mg tablets from GenPharma India through 4rx.com, then adding a US filled prescription from my doctor of 20mg tablets of baclofen manufacted by IVAX USA. I have switched back and forth, and combined the two and honestly cannot tell the difference between them. I have, at times, experienced some severe side effects. My titratation has been largely slow and steady, with one drastic push to 220+ and back down to 120 or so. Now I'm up to 165, with an even slower and steady titration.

There have been many reports on this forum re: concerns about the different potencies of brands of baclofen that we are all using. Houtx's recent post about a conversation with Dr. LeVin where he (LeVin) is suspect of the Indian baclofen Houtx is using has got me thinking a bit (I've also spoken to Dr. LeVin, and I have every reason to believe that he's legitimate and that his advice is sound). So here's some ideas from just a tiny bit of research:

I believe some Baclofen preparations can be racemic, i.e. a mixture of different enantiomers (mirror images of the same drug molecule that look the same, but can be effectively different).

from wikipedia:

(that's lactic acid)

Enantiomers of each other often show different chemical reactions with other substances that are also enantiomers. Since many molecules in the body of living beings are enantiomers themselves, there is often a marked difference in the effects of two enantiomers on living beings. In drugs, for example, the working substance is often one of two enantiomers, while the other one is responsible for adverse effects.

[...]

Another example are the antidepressant drugs Escitalopram (aka Lexapro) and Citalopram (aka Celexa). Citalopram is a racemate [1:1 mixture of (S)-Citalopram and (R)-Citalopram]; Escitalopram [(S)-Citalopram) is a pure enantiomer. The dosages for Escitalopram are typically 1/2 of those for Citalopram, and there are fewer side effects, suggesting that most side effects come from the (R)-enantiomer.

And here's a random medical journal article mentioning potency differences in r and s baclofen enantiomers: Stereoselectivity of spinal neurotransmission: Effects of baclofen enantiomers on tail-flick reflex in rats

Summary Spinal rats and rats with an intact neuraxis received an intrathecal injection of an enantiomer of baclofen. TheR-enantiomer was 100?1000 times more potent than its antipode in inhibiting the tail-flick reflex, both in intact rats and in spinal rats. Spinalization enhanced the inhibitory effects of both enantiomers without altering their dose-response relations. The findings show that baclofen enantiomers have direct actions on stereoselective spinal mechanisms and that spinalization fails to alter the stereoselectivity of spinal mechanisms towards the enantiomers.

Just food for thought. I'm not suggesting that any one company is making *deficient* preparations of baclofen, but each may be using a slightly different formulation that may or may not work in the same way as the next. Many, many folks on this forum are having success with generic baclofen made by companies from all over the world. Some reports on this forum confirm that suddenly switching or substituting other brands in their dosing can cause marked side effects. Baclofen is a generic drug whose patent has expired long ago, the patented information on how to manufacture it should be public. So I would expect that the easiest way for pharmaceutical companies to make baclofen would be to just follow that manufacturing blueprint. Generic drugs have to meet Bioequivalence standards to be certified for use in different countries. It may be more cost effective (or seem unimportant) to produce baclofen in different preparations (especially if bioequivalence is based on a lower dose-80mg max- than we are all taking). Just my 2 cents, and I hope that it's useful information. I think my best advice here is if you are going to switch among different brands of baclofen in your dosing, be sure to do it gradually (i.e 100% Brand A to 75% Brand A + 25% Brand B to 50% Brand A + 50% Brand B to 25% Brand A + 75% Brand B to 100% Brand B - you get the picture). -tk 165mg - equal dosing 8am,4pm,12am (which has really helped a lot) not there yet, but close, I think. Good luck everyone.
                  What the heck oae you talking about--- maybe I am just dumb--- but who can follow your message? Soo complicated!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Baclofen Potency

I received my shipment of the Lioresal brand from Goldpharma recently, so I will be making the switch (gradually, as Terry K wisely suggested). I am hopeful about the prospect of more efficacy with lesser side effects. I just titrated up again today and these side effects are torturous! I keep dropping things, and my skin is tingling like crazy.

P.S. For anyone wanting to use the Lioresal brand I highly recommend Goldpharma, the shipment arrived 10 days after placing my order!

Comment

Baclofen Potency

update

I have begun the transition from Fexobac to Lioresal, I think (but am definitely not sure) that my SE have diminished slightly even though I have not decreased my dosage (though it could also just be my body acclimating to the BAC).

I am curious, and do not have my copy of Dr. A's book available, did he mention what brand of BAC he used?

Comment

Baclofen Potency

So having just started, need feedback if I am taking the right Bac. I ordered from River pharmacy and I was manufactured in India. The packaging says Lioresal 10 mg by Novartis. Packaging also states: contains baclofen IP 10mg. Is this the right stuff?

Comment

Baclofen Potency

Well, IMHO, the brand Lioresal that is manufactured by Novartis is probably the one you should use, which is the one what I am switching to. It is, however, the most expensive of all the brands (assuming you are ordering from one of the foreign pharmacies without the benefit of insurance co-pays). After reading Terry's earlier post re: the enantiomers I am convinced that there are differences between brands that could cause differences in their effectiveness and SE profiles.

Comment

Baclofen Potency

Yep, definitely paying more. Hopefully worth it in the long run.

Comment

Baclofen Potency

I have been taking the same 10 mg Lioresal/Novartis India. But this is what Dr. Levin questioned. No matter - I am still getting off it.

Comment

Working...
                              X