Another Antabuse Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally started antabuse. Yahoo!!!! I'm happy!!!!!

Anyway - questions is.....since it stays in your system for 2 weeks, I was wondering why you take it everyday and not just once or twice a week? I know for me that there is not a way in the world that I would risk drinking on it until I'm sure it is out of my system. But I am that paranoid. I'm just curious because of the risk of side effects, etc. I plan on asking my Doctor for blood tests after I have been taking it for a month but I was just curious.

Thanks..........
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

It is really hard on the liver.

U Don't need to take it every day - that is for sure!!!

Comment

I haven't taken it since last December Nora, and I was with my doc about a month ago and told him that I was facing a couple of potentially rocky occasions and could I just take one as and when I felt I needed one and he said no problem, so that's just what I was told for what it's worth, seems to make sense?
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi Nora!
        Yay Yay Yay....I'm so glad you got your AB and are happy about it! My regiment is this: 2 pills a day for the first 7 days, 1 pill a day for the first month, 1 pill every other day after that. My downfall was when I realized I had gone over a week without taking it...then I drank. Ugh. Stay faithful to the every other day pill and you'll be fine (and yes, I'm taking my own advice this time! )
        K9

p.s. I know I didn't drink JUST because I hadn't taken the AB. I wasn't workin' my plan and realize my mistakes now....just remember, there is NO magic pill, but AB sure helps!
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Yes, it's not the prospect of being sick when it's still a bit in our system, it's the effect on the liver that would make me strictly stick to what the plan says.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Thank you all! I am really worried about the effect on the liver which is why I was questioning it. I know that sounds ridiculous coming from an alcoholic. I was talking to my Therapist on Saturday about it and when those words came out of my mouth I had to laugh. I told her that yes I realized that alcohol was also hurting my liver but that there was no way in the world that I was going to risk drinking while I was taking Antabuse.
            Anyway - I'm glad to hear that I don't have to take it every single day.
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hey Nora,
              I take half a pill every other day. I needed a routine. Couldn't just taken it when I felt I needed it. I'd start counting days I hadn't taken it and it really seemed sometimes that the only reason I drank was because I'd gone enough days without A. and I knew physically that I could. Great reason, huh? Does it give you a sense of relief after you take it, like now you don't even have to think about the possibility of drinking?
              Good luck. I've been on it on and off for years with no liver enzyme elevations.

Comment

Oh - didn't even think about that. I can just take half a pill. Good idea.
                YES!!! I took that pill and it was WONDERFUL!!!! It was such a sense of relief. I didn't have to think about it anymore.
                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

More questions:

1) I keep reading about maybe not being given to people with underactive thyroid. Well, I have low thyroid and am on a low dose thyroid pill. There is no drug interaction but I wondered if anyone else had thyroid problems.

2) Hair color!!! I have my hair done by someone. I don't really want to tell her that I'm taking Antabuse. She knows people that I know. Any suggestions? How can I find out what ingredients are in the hair color she uses?

HELP!!!
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hey - I am getting my hair done this week. I hope I don't have a reaction. I forgot about that.
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Flu Shot

Can I get a Flu Shot while I'm on Antabuse????
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

let me know about hair color Nora!!!
                        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Thanks alot! Let me be the guinea pig!!! My white roots must be covered up!! So, I'm going in.
                          But, they are coming in tomorrow to work to give flu shots. I always get one but am not sure if I can or not.
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Ni Nora!
                            I color my hair all the time, no issues. I even went out on a limb and used hand sanitizer (99.9% alcohol...no reaction!). Don't worry about the shot, it will be ok!

Flu Shot = Fine
                            Vodka Shot = Not fine

:heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

How about a Jello Shot???
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                              X