Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does baclofen nullify anti-inflammatories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I've got a theory, and I wanted to see if anyone else had any input on it. I have arthritis in my big toe (no clue how this happened, btw, showed up at age 28 and was most likely caused by trauma, though I can't remember doing anything to it), and I take a curcumin supplement for it, which is a natural anti-inflammatory. From the time I began taking it, I had pretty much zero pain in my foot. For the past few months, the curcumin has been less and less effective. I have been switching brands and tried taking larger doses.
    I recently also added astaxanthin (another powerful natural anti-inflammatory) in hopes that the combination would provide me some relief. I haven't experienced any improvement, in fact the pain has only gotten worse, so that I'm damn near limping at this point. I've also been dealing with really intense back pain over the past few weeks. It pretty much only goes away when I sleep. And the supplements I'm taking should really be helping with that as well. And I'm supplementing with Omega 3s, also natural anti-inflammatories. With all of this, I shouldn't be in this kind of pain.
    My theory is that baclofen is making these supplements ineffective. I am about to go pick up some ibuprofen in an attempt to find SOME relief from the pain. It will be an experiment as well, to see if the bac prevents the ibuprofen from working too.

So, has anyone experienced anything at all like this with bac, or heard anything about bac having this sort of effect? I am torn between the desire to stay at a high dose to keep the cravings at bay, and the need to get some relief from the pain by trying to titrate down to see if lower levels of bac will let the anti-inflammatories do their job.
    Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
    ~Clutch

Can't help with that, Is, my experience has been that bac relaxes my muscles and helps me with my hamstring which was giving me trouble before starting bac. Have you tried glucosamine? I don't know if anti-inflammatories or glucosomine are contra-indicated or not, you might want to look that up if you haven't already. A natural anti-inflammatory is fish oil, try 3-4 grams a day, that should help.

Comment

Bruunhilde;1045215 wrote: Can't help with that, Is, my experience has been that bac relaxes my muscles and helps me with my hamstring which was giving me trouble before starting bac. Have you tried glucosamine? I don't know if anti-inflammatories or glucosomine are contra-indicated or not, you might want to look that up if you haven't already. A natural anti-inflammatory is fish oil, try 3-4 grams a day, that should help.
      Yup, I'm already taking a high quality krill oil, as well as supplementing with additional Omega 3s. I also eat salmon and tuna each once a week. Not sure if glucoasmine would help with the arthritis and back pain, and I'm really not looking to add more to supplementation routine if I can help it. Thank you for the response though! :thanks:

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
      ~Clutch

Comment

From a previous post: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...tml#post920888

I believe that NSAIDS (non-steriod anti-inflammatory drugs) that are excreted by the kidneys (like ibuprofen) *can* cause baclofen blood levels to rise if your kidneys are over taxed. I've not taken any ibuprofen since starting baclofen just as a precaution. I can often take up to 2400mg+/day for various aches and pains.

Here's a link:

Baclofen toxicity associated with declining renal clearance after ibuprofen -- Dahlin and George 18 (10): 805 -- The Annals of Pharmacotherapy

A 64-year-old male with an incomplete spinal cord injury had been taking baclofen 20 mg tid for 2 1/2 months without side effects. His blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine rose from 13 and 0.9 mg%, respectively, to 59 and 2.8 mg% after ibuprofen 600 mg tid was begun. The patient displayed baclofen toxicity, developing confusion, disorientation, bradycardia, and hypothermia. His blood pressure dropped and he complained of blurred vision. Ibuprofen discontinuation and fluid repletion corrected the renal indices. Rapid tapering of baclofen was accompanied by reversal of baclofen toxicity. Patients taking baclofen must be monitored closely for toxicity when declining renal function is present. Clinicians should be alert to the possibility of renal insufficiency developing when ibuprofen is initiated. This case demonstrates the potential for ibuprofen-induced renal insufficiency to reduce baclofen clearance, thereby leading to baclofen toxicity. Published reports of ibuprofen-induced renal insufficiency are reviewed and pertinent pharmacokinetics of baclofen discussed.

Your mileage may vary.
        -tk
        TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Wow terry, thanks for posting that. Darnit, there goes my one hope of getting some relief. For some reason, I thought it was aciteaminophen that was contraindicated. Which I actually took some of the other day out of desperation and which had zero effect anyway.

I'll have to do some research to see if I can find out anything about baclofen and natural anti-inflammatories.

~Clutch

Comment

Isolde,
            It is funny you mention this. In the past month or so first my toe swelled up, then my ankle and now it is the ball of my foot at the base of my big toe. I thought it was just my gout acting up - A crusty old man's affliction I know. I used to get gout quite a bit when I was caning it with the drinking.
            I am hobbling around at the moment due to the pain. I was at the doctor recently and got my Indometacin on a repeat subscription. This seems to help ease the pain a bit and bring down the swelling. I am not sure if you can get it in the US, but it helps me.
            Maybe Terryk has something regarding the kidney function. I know for me, there is a real link between the Kidneys, impurities in the blood and gout.
            I haven't been drinking as much water of late which I know doesn't help.
            I hope the arthritis eases up a bit.
            Full English
            1st started BAC 17/4/10 - got to 60MG. Stopped 28th May due to SE's.
            2nd try of BAC started 6/9/10. Reached my switch at 210MG on 8/12/10. I weigh 68KG.
            Have been Al Free since 19th November 2010. Extremely thankful and grateful.

Comment

Full English;1045329 wrote: Isolde,
              It is funny you mention this. In the past month or so first my toe swelled up, then my ankle and now it is the ball of my foot at the base of my big toe. I thought it was just my gout acting up - A crusty old man's affliction I know. I used to get gout quite a bit when I was caning it with the drinking.
              I am hobbling around at the moment due to the pain. I was at the doctor recently and got my Indometacin on a repeat subscription. This seems to help ease the pain a bit and bring down the swelling. I am not sure if you can get it in the US, but it helps me.
              Maybe Terryk has something regarding the kidney function. I know for me, there is a real link between the Kidneys, impurities in the blood and gout.
              I haven't been drinking as much water of late which I know doesn't help.
              I hope the arthritis eases up a bit.
              Full English
              I came across a natural remedy for gout when I was researching arthritis - tart cherry juice concentrate, like this: Amazon.com: DYNAMIC HEALTH LABORATORIES INC 100% Pure Organic Certified Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate 16 oz: Health & Personal Care
              If you do a search on this stuff and gout, you'll get a lot of information. I'm tempted to give it a shot for my arthritis, even though it isn't caused by gout. It sounds tasty! Especially if you add it to club soda or something fizzy like that.
              I'm already drinking unfiltered apple cider vinegar in water 3 times a day and am about to start taking a tablespoon of honey with 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon in it every morning if the ACV doesn't help! Even if it doesn't work, at least it will be tasty! Though, for the record, I enjoy the apple cider vinegar. Supposed to be good for a whole host of issues, even if it doesn't help with the arthritis!
              Thanks for the response, and good luck with the gout!

~Clutch

Comment

I'd gone ahead and taken 800mgs of ibuprofen prior to reading terry's post. Damnit, it actually helps a lot with the arthritis! (Not affecting the nerve based pain in the back though.) Hmm, I wonder how much I can get away with daily without it causing repercussions...
                Hm, considering the guy in the study was only taking 20mgs of baclofen and 600mgs of ibuprofen and had those extreme reactions, I'm guessing not much. =(
                Fucksocks.

~Clutch

Comment

Isolde;1045207 wrote:
                  So, has anyone experienced anything at all like this with bac, or heard anything about bac having this sort of effect? I am torn between the desire to stay at a high dose to keep the cravings at bay, and the need to get some relief from the pain by trying to titrate down to see if lower levels of bac will let the anti-inflammatories do their job.
                  This is not medical advice, it is just my strong opinion based on my own research and my own experience:

It's good to hear that it didn't have any effect, but I would not take acetaminophen (paracet, tylenol) ever under any circumstances if you have had above-average alcohol consumption (or any at all, really). It is a liver killer (this is a fact, although maybe a bit dramatically expressed here).

I know that ibuprofen is supposed to be processed by the kidneys, as is baclofen, but if you have not had any kidney problems in the past, I think this would be the better alternative (again, not medical advice). There are others who have posted that since both bac and ibuprofen are processed by the kidneys that perhaps taking ibuprofen with bac might increase the bac concentration in the blood. For me this is just a plus but it might be wise to monitor it a bit... Personally, I have had great results with ibuprofen for pain, even together with bac. I don't do it often, but it works fine for me. Just me, mind you. And 800mg doesn't sound outrageous to me. Just me, mind you.

Another thought, if you don't have any problems with aspirin, maybe that would work.
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Fucksocks? LOL That's a new one for me!

Comment

beatle;1045342 wrote: This is not medical advice, it is just my strong opinion based on my own research and my own experience:

I would not take acetaminophen (paracet, tylenol) ever under any circumstances if you have had above-average alcohol consumption (or any at all, really). It is a liver killer (this is a fact, although maybe a bit dramatically expressed here).

I know that ibuprofen is supposed to be processed by the kidneys, as is baclofen, but if you have not had any kidney problems in the past, I think this would be the better alternative (again, not medical advice). There are others who have posted that since both bac and ibuprofen are processed by the kidneys that perhaps taking ibuprofen with bac might increase the bac concentration in the blood. For me this is just a plus but it might be wise to monitor it a bit... Personally, I have had great results with ibuprofen for pain, even together with bac. I don't do it often, but it works fine for me. Just me, mind you. And 800mg doesn't sound outrageous to me. Just me, mind you.

Another thought, if you don't have any problems with aspirin, maybe that would work.
                      Thanks for weighing in beatle, I was hoping to hear from you. I do understand that it's your own opinion, and not medical advice, and thanks for stating that as well. While I'd heard that acetaminophen wasn't great for long term use, I had no idea it was so bad for your liver. I do recall hearing that it shouldn't be taken in conjunction with alcohol. Luckily I've recently had blood work done, and both my liver and kidney functions are excellent. In any case though, I will take your advice on the acetaminophen.
                      What do you think is the best way to monitor the bac + ibuprofen interaction? The study that terry posted mentioned drop in blood pressure - that is easy enough to monitor, I do that anyway every few days. I guess otherwise it's just monitoring how I feel overall? Disorientation is a given on bac, but I guess I'd know if it increased by a large measure all of a sudden. I can't believe that guy was showing signs of baclofen toxicity on just 20mgs a day due to the ibuprofen. Crazy stuff.

I'll try to keep the ibuprofen to a minimum in any case, for when the pain gets really bad. Sure is nice to be able to walk around right now w/out the pain!

:thanks:

~Clutch

Comment

Bruunhilde;1045354 wrote: Fucksocks? LOL That's a new one for me!
                        I don't remember who it was (maybe see) that first said it around here, but I loved it when I first saw it! Absolutely made me crack up. It's really an excellent expletive! Sure makes me feel better saying it, anyway! :H

~Clutch

Comment

That's great news about your blood tests. I wish I could say the same.

I don't know what would be the best way to monitor the bac+ibuprofen. I tried it before I had heard the warning here on MWO. But I had looked up the contraindications, and all I found were the usual CNS warnings (always "moderate"). I didn't notice any problem with it (I took 400 or 600mg) together with the bac. I just noticed that it helped my headache (something which is an astoundingly rare occurrence for me).

For me, it works fine. Everyone is different. I know from experience that I can take it if I need it. And although I am an anti-med, pro-natural healing person, sometimes, in a pinch, meds can maybe work better...?

(I also very occasionally take zolpidem for insomnia. I don't like to do it, but in a pinch...)
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi Isolde,
                            Thanks for the tip on the gout. I have done some searches as you suggested, and your right there is a lot out there. This bout of gout (that rhymes) seems to have subsided, but next time i will take you up on your suggestion of Tart Cherry Juice. I hope your arthritis is OK and the apple cider vinegar does the trick.
                            I love natural remedies, so these tips are great. Thanks.
                            Full English
                            1st started BAC 17/4/10 - got to 60MG. Stopped 28th May due to SE's.
                            2nd try of BAC started 6/9/10. Reached my switch at 210MG on 8/12/10. I weigh 68KG.
                            Have been Al Free since 19th November 2010. Extremely thankful and grateful.

Comment

There is this post by Zenstyle, if the question is still open, I haven't reread the thread...

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ion-34919.html
                              Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

Working...
                              X