No announcement yet.

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a big part if this is my husband highjacking my peace of mind.
    I know, shouldnt allow it.
    I listened to a BH yesterday, did some painting, slept early & voila up early and ready to get back to painting. He has promised to see a doctor this week. He quit smoking and I think all this anxiety might still be part if this? It has only been since December.
    If I can muddle along in my own way I am fine. But I guess this is the same for everyone.
    Its the drama of life that throws us off.
    I want to watch that documentary today Lipstick & Liquor,, anyone seen it?
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Sunday Greetings, MWOuters!

Thanks for your kind words re. my old folks. I visited them today. It really makes me feel 'grown up' (at the ripe old age of 51!) to be tending to their needs and working on remaining positive. Time really doesn't wait for us. That's (one of the reasons) why sobriety is so important.
      Ava, thanks for your concern. I DO still have niggly thoughts of Al, but one of the helpful sayings I learned here on MWO is "There's nothing so bad that alcohol wont only make worse." So very true. Ava, with the world-wide reach of MWO, I think of you as being a near neighbour!
      Speaking of neighbours, we live next door to a bunch of young Kiwis, and boy are they excited about the cricket match today! I can hear the empty bottles being thrown into the rubbish bin, and thank the Gods I'm not participating!
      When I was reading through some of the threads the other week, someone was talking about the role of pampering in staying quit. It sure has been something I've revelled in. With the money I've saved since quitting drinking, I love to buy nice shower gels, have a massage, go to yoga class, etc.
      Well it's a lovely sunny Melbourne day today. Hope everyone, wherever you are, is having a nice weekend,
      bye for now,
      love,
      Steady
      AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

hiya folks...wee while since Ive been in here....Rahul...great to hear your reactions to the drinking friend from Sri and that it holds no pull for you..so well done
        Hi Eloise ..how are you doing?are things any clearer?are you still learning Dutch?
        Hi Stead...yes you are right ..time doesnt wait..we should make the most of what we have and enjoy it..that includes treats too!!working it out at the prices of the day,I reckon that I have not spent (saved is def the wrong word)about £6.5 k ..hope your weekend is going good

big hiya to everyone else on here too
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Hi, Long Timers -

I haven't stopped by this thread in a while.

Chero - Good on you for resisting that voice. I got strong voices around a year - keep checking in, and I like NS's advice - keeping good track of all of the good things in your life that quitting has brought.

Welcome, Beachy and Kensho!!!!! Congratulations on 100+ and keep it going.

I celebrated elsewhere, Lav, but no point in not celebrating again. Six years is massive - WHOOT!

NS - It was that story that had me emailing you from a bathroom stall last spring - a lifeline is so important. I'm glad it went ok, too.

But your story leads me to a question for you long timers... I've always just been a bill splitter - when we go out in a big group, just contribute some fraction of the bill depending on how many people there are. Now that I don't drink, I get the short end of the stick each and every time unless I or someone else speaks up. I must admit that I feel sort of cheap if I speak up, but those drinks are EXPENSIVE. As I am typing this out, I realize that I am putting myself at the mercy of others and caring what others think a bit. Maybe I should stick up for myself more. Just wondering how you all handle it.

I loved Thailand, Rahul - sounds like a wonderful trip.

OK, folks. Off to suffer through homework with my kid on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. See you all later.

Pav

Comment

hiya Pave..for me it would depend....Ive been in some places where its more for a coke than it is for large beers!!In the main tho I would say dont mind chucking a couple of quid /dollars in the pot ...but would rather stick on my ownsome as far as drink goes..make a joke of it...ie you try drinking 6 large cokes etc..yes btw I loved Thailand too ..and Cambodia!!
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Pav, we get separate checks, too. Dinner is my smallest meal and I always get water at night, so I am a very cheap date. When the wait person is taking orders, hubs points out that he and I are on one check. That makes it simple. Hope that helps. I'm with you, I dont feel like funding someone else's AL. B
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Pav, my GFs that I go out with periodically are insistent that I not pay for their drinks, which is very considerate of them. But with other less sensitive people, I try to follow my dad's advice and view it as a relatively small price to pay for the fellowship and entertainment. (On the other hand, your pals might be drinking more or more expensive alcohol than I'm used to so it might not be that simple).

Nice to see you here, Mick!

Comment

I guess I am fortunate in that my girl friends that I go out with aren't really drinking anymore. If they do it's one drink, ha ha so the cost isn't a big issue
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all, was thinking of joining this thread not been.around posting for a long while, find it hard to. Like the idea of this thread. Congratulations Lavander on 6 yrs well done.
                    x catch22 x
                    Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                    sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                    my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Hi, Catch22, and welcome to this thread. It's a nice one in that it doesn't move too fast but if you ask a question, you'll get an answer.

I've seen your posts sometimes over the last couple years and know you've been AF for quite awhile. Pretty great way to live, isn't it :smile:?

I'm on the 5th of about 15 days away from home. This is a business trip that I take every year at which drinking is the main activity in the evenings. In a way it is interesting to be on the outside, kind of observing, but I must admit to being pretty bored most of the time when I'm not actively working. Luckily I'm moving on to a different adventure tomorrow.

NS

Comment

Hello All,

Life so different since I stopped drinking. For one I feel I am more old and mature. I also see so many people around me growing older. Few people with whom I started my careers are now at such a great level in corporate world. Then I see my kids growing so fast.

Life's too short and it's not worth wasting it on booze or anyother drug. I am so fortunate to realize that early.

It's also so strange how people regard non drinkers as if there is something wrong. I now know the hard way it's other way round.

Will be travelling tomorrow.

I feel sick of travelling, sick of my duties. But then i could not stay idle.

Met an old aunt today she is really old must be in 90s. Recently she broke her arm and is now healing it. I spent only 5 minutes with her and she started crying. Telling me how it's an ordeal to change clothers. She is really old but I have always seen her laughing, blessing. But saw her crying today... Didn't feel good.

How we can take simple things in life for granted. Our Heath for instance ...

How I wasted so much time on booze. I so wish my children don't get that habit.

Coz I love them so much.

Take care ....
                        Rahul
                        --------------------------------------------
                        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                        Rebooting ... done ...
                        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Welcome to April 2015 everyone

Rahul, life is very different without AL!
                          We are now experiencing all the ups & downs in exactly the way we should be, that's a wonderful thing.

NS, I hope you are enjoying your travels & not too bored hanging around the drinkers

Wishing everyone a good holiday weekend!
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav, with all the April Fools hoopla, I forgot until now that the first of the month is when I celebrate, at least in my head, another month of AF success. There were a lot of fun spoofs on Facebook, including plants growing marshmallow peeps, m&m's and doughnuts.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Greetings everyone & Happy Easter if you are celebrating
                              Wishing everyone a peaceful AF day.

Sunbeam, congrats on yet another AF month - becomes habit, don't you think? I wouldn't have it any other way now
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Though I'm a little late, Happy Easter everyone! It's late afternoon Easter Monday now in Australia, and back to work tomorrow! The drama with my folks continues. Dad's been admitted to hospital with pneumonia. He's better now than a few days ago, when it seemed to be touch and go. I repeat that I would be in a mess right now if Al was still in my life. I'm grateful to be able to wake with a clear head, and do the best I can each day. Hope everyone's had a peaceful Easter; celebrate a new life without alcohol!
                                love,
                                Steady
                                AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X