Chilipepper's Declinol Daily Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right up front, I want everyone know that I received a complimentary Declinol Program from the Declinol Company, a program designed to drastically reduce or eliminate alcohol intake over a 8 week period. Last year, I tried and ultimately failed with the Sobrexa Program, of which I paid the full $800 (I think it may cheaper now). I did see much initial success with Sobrexa, like Declinol, a Daidzin based product, but alcohol intake crept up over the next few weeks after the first week of double dosing that is called for by the program.

The Declinol people (my contact has been Jon Kirven at support@declinol.com) asked me to be totally honest, meaning good, bad, or both, about my experiences, and I will. I have no other affiliation with this company other than receiving the free program. I wii tell it as I experience it. What I want to find out is if the product is absorbed at a much at a much higher rate, due to their touted N-2 absorption of the product, which claims an up to 400% increased bioflavability. I know this may be hype, so I want to find out for myself. Also in the product are herbal bitters, which are supposed to counteract and create an aversion to the "bitter" taste of alcohol. We'll see.

I received the package yesterday, opened it up and it still looks eerily similar to the Sobrexa Program. You double the dose the first week and decrease over the remaining 7 weeks. Their is an accompanying booklet that includes foods, recipes, yoga moves, and other exercises that are supposedly designed to enhance detoxification and improve liver and kidney function. We'll see about that too.

Why am I doing this? I want to get off all sorts of medications that keep me together and going throughout the day so I can function at work. I take meds for high blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol, and anxiety. I was taking 1mg. extended release Xanax to get me through the day just so I could get to the 14 oz. of 90 proof at night. My sleep is poor and fitful and I'm overweight and out of shape. My liver has hurt for several years and I feel terrible all the time, especially at work. Baclofen has worked for me in the past but the sleepiness and lethargy to get to my "switch" also made my work suffer. If this program doesn't work, I'll have to return to Bac since it is the only thing that has helped me get off alcohol. I've been drinking since my college days but began my very heavy drinking at age 36 (this coincides to increased work pressures) until my present 54 years.

I am highly motivated to make this work or I know that my work will severely suffer, and even possible death soon down the road. I want to go completely natural with everything, including the right foods and no meds. I want to feel "normal" again and want it badly.

I promise to give you an honest account of my journey, the good, the bad, and the ugly - first, as a cathartic "salve" for me, and second, maybe you can gain some insight for yourself as to the possible effectiveness of this program. I promise to myself that I will follow every aspect of the program, even the "boring looking" yoga exercises. I started my program this morning by ingesting my first packet at 6:00 AM and will take my last packet at 6:00 PM, my normal drinking time.

PS: Good luck to WinstonWolf on his journey using the Sobrexa Program. I'm going to use his method of becoming active during the "trigger" time of alcohol consumption. His was video games and mine has been Internet surfing. Good idea Winston.

2nd Day

Drank 9 oz. of 90 proof my first day on the Declinol program, down about 5 oz. from my usual. This is not surprising for me, because I would go down a bit in consumption on some days anyway, of course on other days I might go up, but the average is 14 oz. daily. That being said, I'm hopeful the program will work for me. I hope that I can gradually cut down to zero drinks. Like most of us, one or two daily drinks just leads to a lot more drinks.

Getting ready to go out and exercise my dog. A key for me is to make sure that I'm physically more active and to create diversions from my normal evening routine of drinking.

Comment

3rd Day Challenge

Last night (end of second day) my alcohol intake went up to 12 oz. of 90 proof over the 9 oz. from the first day on the program. This is actually a small win. I rarely have had less than 14 oz. two days in a row. Could be the placebo effect, I don't know. I do know that I took my 4th packet of Declinol right in the middle of my drinking.

My challenge will be the next three days when I will be out of town staying with people who don't drink. That means I won't be able to drink. I hope the Declinol will help me maintain my sanity during those days. I will take along a little Xanax just in case I have some problems, but it will be no more than .5 mg a day only if I absolutely need it. The next few days will test me, no doubt.

Comment

Chillipepper, thank you so much for starting this progress thread. I am very interested in how it's going. How did you manage to get the program from the company, if you can say.

Comment

Thanks, Looking. I will continue to post my honest thoughts about the program. Actually, Jon Kirven with the company contacted me first by private message. I contacted him later at support@declinol.com. I hope the program works. I've done just about everything else but rehab to quit. Rehab would send my career into a tailspin.

Comment

Chili, I really hope it works for you too. Thanks for sharing about your experiences.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for the intel as you explore this.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

3rd Day Finished!

Wow! I finished the 3rd day with no alcohol intake. However, I cannot say it was because of the Declinol since I was in a situation where I couldn't drink - staying with people who don't drink with a full slate of activities for the evening. I was worried about this, so I brought a little Xanax just in case. Took a half mg. just before bed to help me sleep but I was not going through any kind of withdrawals. Alcohol has totally screwed up my sleep over the years, just another of the many negatives of excess alcohol intake.

Now, the interesting thing for me at this point, is that this is the morning of the fourth day and I'm still feeling good, no expected nervousness, racing heart, blood pressure spikes, near seizures (never had seizures but have felt like it at times without drink). Maybe Declinol has something to do with this, don't know, still way too early to tell. I have to remind myself not to get too excited because of the early success I received with Sobrexa, which ultimately failed, at least for me. But, I'm very optimistic, nonetheless.

The next couple of days should begin to tell a lot since it will be more days without alcohol. I also will need to get completely off the Xanax since it will give me a better picture of my state without alcohol. But that is a far less problem than my drinking. Will give another report after this day is over....

PS: Determinator, thanks for your post. I have been following your Paleo thread with a tremendous amount of interest. There is literally an encyclopedia worth of knowledge to be gained there concerning proper nutrition.

Comment

End of 4th Day

Well, was able to come home this afternoon to stay overnight. I was worried about falling into my old drinking routine, but stopped somewhat. I finished at 8 drinks. The best way I can describe this is that I simply got tired of drinking. Now, I just want to eat and go to bed. It is 8:25 CST. Good evening, all!

Comment

Beginning of 5th Day

It's 3:25 AM CST and and I'm wide awake. I'm tired but can't sleep. This insomnia is tough to handle on the beginning of my 5th day on the program. This will be another day of being around people where I can't drink. This may be my toughest day yet. Feeling a little bleak.

Comment

you can do it Chili! you did it yesterday and you can do it again. we're rooting for ya!
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Day 5 re-cap - Starting Day 6

Thanks, Det, for the encouraging words, they help tremendously.

Here's a recap of my Day 5: It started rough, from a fitful sleep to high bood pressure reading (140/100). I had some slight feelings of withdrawal, although I never felt like I would go into seizures, just pressure in my head and a "light-headed" feeling, but not quite full blown dizziness. This began to let up somewhat as the day went on. Couldn't drink of course, because of the company I was with. Went to bed tired but couldn't sleep, so I succumbed to half .mg of Xanax and an over-the-counter "natural" sleep aid with melatonin, valerian root, passion flower, and hops. I did sleep well. Woke up today (Day 6) feeling okay with some head pressure. My blood pressure was 150/93, so still high, although I felt better than the day before. I will continue with the four daily packets of Declinol through tomorrow, after which I'm to drop to two daily packets for remainder 7 weeks.

Today's challenge: Today will be a long work day, at least until 8:00 PM CST, but I will come home with no company in the way of drinking. Although the Declinol program is for gradual withdrawal, I really want to stop completely now. Now, when I drink, my indigestion is terribly bad. I want to get off the daily Nexium, which is not working as well as it used to. A diet without a lot of carbs and acidic foods helps with this, but alcohol greatly amplifies the problem. I also want to get off the Xanax crutch, but maybe I'm taking things too quickly. At my age, I feel like the chemicals have finally gotten even with me by causing poor health, but I'm determined to fight back.

My goal is to drink 25% less, or 6 drinks, than two nights ago. The best case scenario would no drinks, even if I take the 1/2 mg of Xanax.

Just trying to get a little better every day, in a more natural way.

Comment

Day 6 Recap - On to Day 7

At the end of day 6 for me on the declinol program, it almost felt like a mirror experience to WinstonWolf's last post on the Sobrexa thread. Although I didn't fare quite as well as he did, I came close to meeting my goal.

I got in from work a little after 8:00 PM, a 13 hour workday, and right away wanted to drink, especially after dealing with some very difficult people earlier in the evening. So I definitely know that undue stress can be a trigger for my drinking. My goal was to have no more than 6 oz., and I immediately felt a stress release upon the first sip. So, some kind of good endorphins were hitting me before the alcohol could physically take effect on my body. I then realized that some of good effects of alcohol can be psychological. Well, I guess I'm still learning in my mid-fifties, a good thing.

Anyway, I noticed my drinking began to drastically slow down after the third oz. (I measured). I began to get really tired and somewhat indifferent to the alcohol. I poured up the seventh drink but left it alone. I felt somewhat triumphant, but I did take .25 mg. Xanax before retiring, which helped me sleep better but not great. Woke this morning
                          feeling pretty good, no indigestion (I attribute this to eating only meat, in this case some broiled chicken, along with vegetables, not the normal late night binging on sweets and large amounts of carbs after drinking volumes of alcohol), and blood pressure was lower, 138/91, still not great but better. My liver area still hurts when I push against my lower back ribcage (guess I better quit doing that!) but I figure that may take awhile to hopefully get better.

My optimism about the declinol program is hopeful, but guarded in light of my previous experience with the other, somewhat similar program. But it could be that my resolve is stronger this time. I realize that I'm at a crossroads with my health, well-being, career, close relationships, and just life in general. I know I must make something work now or everything suffers irreparably.

I have placed a forced goal on myself this evening: I will stay with a friend who does not drink for the evening before coming back home late. Therefore, no alcohol. I will not trick myself by thinking I won't have to take a little Xanax before bed, but when I reach this daily goal, it will still be one step better than the day before.

Comment

Great progress on day number 6. I like your strategy of hanging out with non drinkers. It certainly helps and it also makes you realize that you can have a nice time without the crutch of alcohol. Thanks for your daily updates and good luck.

Comment

Day 7 Recap - Starting Day 8

I've had a breakthrough that I hope will last. I had no alcohol last night because I stayed with a friend until late and came home and "crashed" soon after by going straight to bed. I did take .5 mg of Xanax but this is a victory for me and I'm celebrating with a second cup of coffee this morning. This a breakthrough because I actually feel good and not feeling semi withdrawals. My blood pressure this morning is 135/86, still somewhat high but normalizing.

Looking for Peace, thanks for your insight about strategies to stay away from drinking. I'm going to have find diversion tactics every evening to stay away from drinking. This will be hard but doable. I consider this a long term strategy for me. I will have to be like a teacher writing daily lesson plans. My diversion plan today is to go out to dinner with my spouse and then on to a movie. Haven't done this in years. This will be a surprising plan for her and I hope she's up to it. She drinks to excess also, and I feel partly to blame. I think she gave up years ago trying to get me to stop drinking and just finally decided to join me.
                              I truly believe she'll begin to give it up too if she knows I'm doing so. She's been out of town for a few days, so really doesn't know what I'm trying to do.

Newest challenge: This will be the first day of dropping down from four to two daily doses of the Declinol product. I hope the system will continue to work as advertised. I know I must do my part also. I hope my wife will go along with my diversion plan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X