No announcement yet.

Ladies on a Mission: The Official Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and hey -- to anyone looking for a really GOOD brownie recipe -- I found the one I'd lost!! Here's the link -- they have pumpkin puree in them, which is what makes them so moist I think. Totally delicious and gooey. I increase the cocoa, and I add a handfull of dark chocolate chips to the mix, too. http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/201...-nut-free.html
    Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Hi Girls,
      I've got all the teenage years to come so I guess it's very prudent to be cleaning up my life now.
      NS, Pepper, Nar - I've been eating that way for about 8 months. As I was having blood taken yesterday I could see large lipids in the blood..mmm very strange, I've been having good cholesterol. I'll find out later and let you guys now, it will be interesting to see what my blood work is like on this eating style...
      Hormone issues scream at me, thyroid in particular. As you know I've been exhausted for ages now been doing everything except think and understand my endocrine system...mmm do any of you know about hormone rebalancing ? I'd be really grateful for a PM if you do!

I'm very glad I've taken alcohol out of the mix at this stage in my life, it was compounding every aspect of my health, now I can address issues knowing that booze is playing no part in anything im experiencing right now.

I hopeyou all have a special MAE.. I'm bone- brothing again and going to try to do some fermented radish and cabbage, 3rd try.. Maybe it's too hot here for successful fermenting? The kimchi in the shop is pretty good

Xx
      Pat

Comment

Pepper- I think it is pretty wonderful that they seem to know a cause behind your daughters depression and they will be able to fix it - that must be such a huge relief! I have not heard of a situation such as this before - what a lot of hope for her future....

Well- productive afternoon - huge pile of papers amassed for my mortgage application, and a long email written to my daughters HS lead counselor in the hope they might just step up and help us in some form! Will probably make her counselor mad, and I have been trying not to upset the apple cart, but decided enough already - and if I don't cause some fuss over my daughter, when will I ever. I do like to keep the peace, but got to do what a gals got to do - right ladies??
        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

On the teenage daughter continuum I had a lovely walk with my daughter today. It was a bit energetic for me as I have been unwell but lovely to share the time together. I make a point of trying to just 'be' in the moment and enjoy the walk and nature so I don't use those times to talk about school, her life plans etc. I have always enjoyed walking in the weekends and its great to be able to do this with her. I am also fortunate to live in a place that is abundant with scenic trails.
          I hope you can get more info on the hormonal issues Pat. I had low cholesterol until menopause - now its much much higher. Diet seems to make very little difference for me. I know its more complicated than high and low cholesterol but its been my new health problem since I quit drinking AL. I take a very low dose statin that I seem to be able to tolerate but it took a lot of trial and error to get one that agreed with me.

Comment

I'm gonna try that brownie recipe, yummy!
            It's amazing how they can find out all that stuff about your daughter, hopefully it all helps. It is a trying time, I know.
            Sure, let's live at my house, it is pretty new and has lots of room. Everyone is welcome!

Pat, it will be interesting to hear about your blood work.

Hey Pat, I am lad you/we aren't drinkin anymore too. What a blessing.

Time to eat my BBQ steak, fried cabbage with bacon and fried mushrooms in butter. Yum!
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Pepper, I just keep stirring. I did not really notice it anyway but maybe I was not paying attention.
              Glad you tried it, we can make it our morning ritual. Of course, we will share with everybody!
              Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I tried it a couple times using one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cordles...electric+whisk. It worked well but I really like strong, black coffee in the morning :smile:

Comment

Pat, this might not be your issue but if you are eating very low carb, you'll likely need to eat more salt or you will feel like you've been hit by a truck. The low insulin levels on a low carb diet result in high sodium excretion. However, if you're drinking bone broth regularly, you should be getting sufficient salt there. Anyway, it's something to consider and I've found it often works for me to just increase my intake some. Hope your blood lipids come out well - low triglycerides and high HDL cholesterol would be nice!

Comment

I'm going to do a quick check in. Hubby and I both have a cold. Yucky.
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Hi, all:

Great conversation - I read it all, but am too pooped from a big adventure today to say much. I have followed a low carb diet (I never gave up fat, so that wasn't an issue!) for about three years. Overall I have lost 40 pounds, got rid of an allergy and stopped taking blood pressure medication. Also, i quit drinking, so it is hard to assess what did it, but I started losing weight a year before I quit drinking. I LOVE pasta and bread, so sometimes I do feel deprived, but I feel so much better without it. Oh, I do eat a big carb food - ice cream on the weekends. I'm still considering what to do with that particular habit.

I have kids ages 15 and 12 - ugh, it is hard. Pepper and SL - sorry your girls are struggling. Good thing they have moms like you. I don't think you will upset the counselor, SL, they mostly really do want to help.

Can hardly keep my eyes open.

xo
                      Pav

Comment

Good morning, another UnHung day in Calgary. I am going downstairs for a coffee, glad you all are joining me this morning. I have lots of cream on hand for our coffee.

Pav, I love ice cream too. We can't be perfect right?

NS, I need to get one of those for my soups.

Dottie, hope your doing ok. I am sure it is really tough right now. Big hugs.

Have a great day Gloamers.
                        Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Howdy gloamers! Agreed Nar, unhung is the way to go! I can't keep up to all you ladies and your posts, this thread moves along at a good pace, cooking, recipes, children etc.

I must comment on the teenage daughters though, I went through 3 of them and I don't think I could do it again! Our son was so much easier to deal with as a teen, but that's not to say that I don't love them all the same! Just so you know, they will all still have problems they run to you with no matter what age they are, but the problems tend to get a bit more serious lol. And no matter what the problem or at what age, we will always be there to help them out!

March is here already, in a couple of months I'll be climbing the tractor steps again to help with seeding! I love spring, watching the trees bud out, the slight tinge of green as the leaves start to form. The robins fly back and flitter around finding twigs to build their nests, geese honking loudly overhead as they head north again, the baby deer running alongside their mom's, and I'm going to enjoy every moment of it sober! Just one more thing to be grateful for...

Have a great day everyone, take a bit of time today and talk to someone you haven't in a long time, you never know when they'll be gone.....
                          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Happy March 1st!
                            TT - love staying in the moment from time to time, great that you had that!
                            Narilly - can you move your house somewhere warmer then I'm in to move!
                            Pav - glad you had an adventure
                            ABC - three of them - hoping to survive two
                            Speaking of my two, the youngest had to take jeans back from out last shopping trip. Like TTs girl, she loves her food and was a little too hopeful to get into skinny jeans. We got her some great bootleg cut and she feels so good in them - looks great too, so taking the skinnies back - so another shopping trip
                            Love sober Sunday's - think I see sun peering round the blinds so off to pop kettle on for my tea, see you later
                            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

I swear jeans have a lot to answer for SL. I spent years trying to get into jeans too small for me. I never had a waist but I had skinny legs. Finally a guy took me shopping and I found guys jeans were the answer. Now I fit into mature ladies jeans and we have stretch fabrics of course.
                              LB hope the cold is on the mend
                              Nar. I finally worked out what you meant by saying 'I just keep stirring'. In Nz this this expression means trying to wind someone up but you were I see talking about coconut cream in your coffee!

Comment

Hi, Gloamers:

Dottie - If your'e still around here, hello and hugs. I hope all is going as well as can be expected.

I had a weird day emotionally - I sure hope that the next 10 years aren't like this. I don't think I'm very much fun to be with right now. I finally pulled it together and painted a wall in our kitchen with chalkboard paint. Everyone's a bit old at this point, but no one can remember what they need to do day by day - even though we use Google calendar for the whole family, sometimes the kids need written reminders. We'll see - I bought the black color, and our kitchen is small, so it might be too dark. There's always another day of painting if need be...

TT and SL - I used to fight SO MUCH with my mom when shopping for clothes. I hated my body so I could never find anything I wanted, and my mom always had an annoying opinion too loudly in front of the sales people. I really wanted a daughter and had two sons instead, and there are some things I am grateful for in that equation...

I hope you all had happy sober and un-hung Sundays.

xo
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X