Friday AF 24 October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday AF 24 October

Morning here folks and its very wet. We have a long weekend – Labour Day on Monday so I am heading away with the family tomorrow. Plan was a beachy holiday but we won’t be doing any swimming. The water here is cold at the best of times – wetsuits needed usually – and with this late wintry blast swimming is off the agenda. Hope we get some walks and relax in and am sure we will as where we are going there is lots of forest as well. I wont have internet for a few days.

Hope you have recovered from the decorating Mick – what’s next? Ours is the laundry – need a new machine and the room needs a paintjob. It's the door most people come through so room should be tidier. But no plans immediately as we don't have time.

You could eat the ants Mick – seems to be what the posh restaurants are offering these days!

Yes, awful shock about the shooting in Canada. Its raised questions about parliamentary security here as we don’t have armed guards. I like the general lack of guns here though.

My daughter made a Halloween cake – Lav! Its for school – she decorated it with a pumpkin design. Kind of strange as its spring here. Hope you have a good weekend with the kiddies – if they are on the horizon.

My teasmaid does work. It's from the era – pre-digital. Actually I used it as part of my early sobriety – as an early morning ritual. Quite fun really.

SL – you are doing a great job with your daughters and ignore your ex’s attempts to undermine you – because that is what it sounds like to me. Its great that your girl has a positive attitude as well. Makes so much difference. My girl liked her maths tutoring – I just hope she passes the paper but its not the end of the world if she doesn't.

Sam – you feeling a bit less blah. I certainly get like that – it comes and goes and goes and comes. I just have to watch that I don’t get in a black pit.

Hope your feeling better Det – after your physical exertion! You Too Pauly – you have great day –and you too SF and DTD!

Well now the sun is out. Blue skies ahead – you never know here how the weather will turn out!

hia all...tis friday..poets day today..so all you working peeps remember that and act accordingly!!thanks for the start up tt...as far as the ant thingy goes..had some serious drastic action to take..which I am in the middle of doing ...seems to be working..couldve done without all this hassle tho...
    t n coffee on the go

morning Lav ..hows you today?sincely hope your trip to the doc was wasted yesterday and that you are ok?Is it just you today ..or are you specting guests again? bbt for you..have a grand day.

hiya SL....how are you doing?is it al starting to work out for you?obviously still too early days yet to get into any kind of routine,but as long as you are ok..hows the daughters taking to it?

mornin SF..how are you today then?all ok I hope..yes it does take a long time to get out of a routine,but cest la vie.....

hiya dtd ...was going to write ddt! (thats 55 pounds please thank you!)how are you this fine day?any weekend plans?

morn Sam..had to read your post twice!!thought you had cut yer leg but its the greenhouse!!yep Ive got a greenhouse only a wee one tho...what pic were you looking at?the guy next door has bought a big un..tbh its great watching it going up as per the weather....swear box gets fuller by the day!!anything for the weekend?markets?gigs?

hiya Pauly..like you I am the worlds biggest buyer of crap devices..but also I make a lot of them too..one of my friends reckons Im a thwarted mad professor!!..can usually look at something and think "Ican make that out of whatever guff I have got ling around"..a man of many talents ..master of none!!so how are you today then?you kid minding today?

hiya Det...exhausted is allowed mate....drunk isnae :welldone: how are you?plans for weekend?

hiya ppqp..didnt see you ..hows things in boss land?

right folks..just for a change..and I know you are into this det..some useless facts!!

have a good un!!

The women of the Tiwi tribe in the South Pacific are married at birth.

When Albert Einstein died, his final words died with him. The nurse at his side didn't understand German.

St Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, was not Irish.

Many sailors used to wear gold earrings so that they could afford a proper burial when they died.

A South African monkey was once awarded a medal and promoted to the rank of corporal during World War I.

The Toltecs, Seventh-century native Mexicans, went into battle with wooden swords so as not to kill their enemies.

China banned the pigtail in 1911 as it was seen as a symbol of feudalism.

Sliced bread was patented by a jeweler, Otto Rohwedder, in 1928. He had been working on it for 16 years, having started in 1912.

Before it was stopped by the British, it was the not uncommon for women in some areas of India to choose to be burnt alive on their husband's funeral pyre.

Before the Second World War, it was considered a sacrilege to even touch an Emperor of Japan.

An American aircraft in Vietnam shot itself down with one of its own missiles.

The Anglo-Saxons believed Friday to be such an unlucky day that they ritually slaughtered any child unfortunate enough to be born on that day.

During the eighteenth century, laws had to be brought in to curb the seemingly insatiable appetite for gin amongst the poor. Their annual intake was as much as five million gallons.

Ancient drinkers warded off the devil by clinking their cups

The Nobel Prize resulted form a late change in the will of Alfred Nobel, who did not want to be remembered after his death as a propagator of violence - he invented dynamite.

Pogonophobia is the fear of beards.

In 1647 the English Parliament abolished Christmas.

Coffee is the second largest item of international commerce in the world. The largest is petrol.

When George I became King of England in 1714, his wife did not become Queen. He placed her under house arrest for 32 years.

Henry VII was the only British King to be crowned on the field of battle

Richard II died aged 33 in 1400. A hole was left in the side of his tomb so people could touch his royal head, but 376 years later some took advantage of this and stole his jawbone.

The magic word "Abracadabra" was originally intended for the specific purpose of curing hay fever.

Albert Einstein was once offered the Presidency of Israel. He declined saying he had no head for problems.

Ralph and Carolyn Cummins had 5 children between 1952 and 1966, all were born on the 20 February.

John D. Rockefeller gave away over US$ 500,000,000 during his lifetime.

Only 1 child in 20 are born on the day predicted by the doctor.

The 'Hundred Years War' lasted 116 years.

The British did not release the body of Napoleon Bonaparte to the French until twenty days after his death.

John Glenn, the American who first orbited the Earth, was showered with 3,529 tonnes of ticker tape when he got back.

Native American Indians used to name their children after the first thing they saw as they left their tepees subsequent to the birth. Hence such strange names as Sitting Bull and Running Water.

Catherine the First of Russia, made a rule that no man was allowed to get drunk at one of her parties before nine o'clock.

Queen Elizabeth I passed a law which forced everyone except for the rich to wear a flat cap on Sundays.

Julius Caesar wore a laurel wreath to cover the onset of baldness.

At the age of 12, Martin Luther King became so depressed he tried committing suicide twice, by jumping out of his bedroom window.

coupla jokes.....

dtd....

A teacher asks the class to form a sentence with the word Celebrities,so little Timmy says,

"Celebrities get treated better."

"That sentence is way too short,Timmy." says the teacher.

"I know," says Timmy, "Judge Masipa should be ashamed of herself."

Today I am celebrating 2 years of happy marriage with my wife.....We've been married for 12.

"Are you ok granddad? You look terrified every time I knock on your door. "

"Oh Jack, you'll never know what it's like living in fear of your past, just waiting for the knock on the door, and then you're finished. "

"Gosh granddad, I never knew, were you a spy or a hit man or something? "

"No Jack, much worse than that, I was a pop star in the 1970s. "

I tried to get to work by train this morning, they said "Today there is a Bus replacement service"

So I gave them a tin of pineapple chunks.

They said "What's that?"

I said "That's my money replacement service."

think about it!!

I arrived for what I thought was my first Pilates session today.

Turned out it was a convention full of Chinese people dressed as Jack Sparrow and Long John Silver.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Good morning Abbers,

Cloudy & cool although I see the sun trying to peek through

Thanks for the startup TT.
      I hope you have a great weekend away, regardless of the weather!

Hi Mick!
      Yesterday's doc trip was just a routine check up. Passed the EKG, B/P, hearing test, got flu shot & all that. Now I need to schedule an appointment for blood work. Aging sure does cut into your free time.
      I am on my own (as far as I know) today. YB is on his way to the airport, will be in Florida until Tuesday (I think). Hope your kitchen project is going well

SL, you have a terrific plan in place for your daughter. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Keep the faith because everything is going to work out!

Greetings to SF, PQ, Det, Sam, Pauly & everyone!
      Have a great AF Friday everyone. I'm off to Curves to get this day started right!!!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Mae everybody,Mick while reading those facts i kept waiting for the punchline haha,too used to the jokes i think,have Louie from 10 to 5:30 today,it's a pain to get him to nap grrr,then he wakes up a grump for a bit,but i do love spending time with him,it's just that short attention span that toddlers have is overwhelming at times,we'll be playing cars,then he wants to play balls,then blocks,then attack Winslow,i'm sure Lav can relate to this from when her g-babies were younger,at times i've watched him along with his 3 yesr-old cousin and when their together they sorta occupy one another and i can only keep half an eye on 'em:congratulatory:haha,SL,i agree with TT,it's just a teen thing,a few weeks ago Brady didn't tell me it was picture day until the night before so i didn't have time to trim his hair,i was mad! these are the pics they put in the yearbook so i wanted him to look half way decent,but oh well,i need to up my exercise,i have been but not enough,i weighed myself this morning and just about crapped my pants! however i don't want to get all distracted with weight loss and stuff,keeping my eye on the main prize is the most important,i used to see Bear getting all overwhelmed in taking on too much and it never leads to anything good,wonder how she's doing?i've lost track of my days but i know it's defo over 30 but i really don't need to count cuz then it feels like a countdown,sheesh a countdown to what?blastoff?no,i'm coasting along good days bad days,that's why i changed my signature,it's how i'm living:welldone:SF,i hear you on the blah days,but think about it,if you didn't have ups and downs you'd be a robot,and evenMick has those days and he's always happy,i just get pissed cuz i'm like,what the hell is this?i was just fine yesterday,oh i 've rambled too long,i always wonder if people read long posts or just kinda skim them haha,oh wellhello Samm,Det,PPQP and everybody else:love:,wonder where Pie has gone too?let's have a nice Friday
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi - TGIF!
          No tutoring tonight - but she has guitar lessons tonight - been doing this for about 3 1/2 years now, always good to show her that she can learn something. She is really liking her tutor, and when she said she had finished her homework & I responded she still had another hour...with tutor...she said that's fun, that's not homework!!! She got a 5/5 for math homework after mainly 0/5 with a couple 2/5 tossed in!! Big sigh of relief!
          Maybe I can relax a bit now? I am taking your words Lav "Keep the faith because everything is going to work out!" - might become my signature line - it applies to a lot just now - but I will believe this!
          Hi TT - hope you can enjoy the three day weekend, I love the ocean in any weather - have some ocean therapy and send a little my way - I will think of you and hope you get some pretty shells on some walks!
          Just two more training runs and then I do my 5K - another "never" going to get crossed of my list - new experience for me chosing to do things that I did not believe I could...
          Have a great Friday everyone (and Saturday TT!)
          “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Wow that was a long post from you Pauly! Keep them up.
            SL - so glad the tutoring is going well. It sounds like it's working out. Good luck with the training and the run. I used to do that sort of thing in another life. Where we are going there are seals and sea lions and penguins. So I will be with my friends!

Comment

I love penguies! They really make you smile! Any otters???
              In my other life I believed I could not run, so I did not:congratulatory:

Comment

MAE ALL...was going to post at work today but couldn't remember my password. :suspicion:

TT...thanks for the kickstart and hope you're enjoying you weekend get away.

Mick...did the drastic action go something like this?

you must be tired! I was tired yesterday and just had some me time. Things seem to be settling down at work for now, next month brings on the Xmas parties.
                Looks like the weather's going to change come Sunday with snow in the forecast. Guess it's time to accept winter's coming.

SL...boy you sure sound positive these days. So glad everything is working out with the tutor.

Greetings to everyone else, must off and make dinner......:happy2:PPQP

Comment

Thanks for telling me I sound positive - for some weird reason it helps me to feel that I am being optimistic, which is not my normal behavior, but one I wish to embrace!
                  I bought a crockpot - at target - $13!!!! Now on a recipe hunt! (ignoring the mulled wine ones:congratulatory

Comment

Tired and quick check in. I never really believed in all that mercury retrograde stuff....but, man my last six months have been wonky. Today I finally felt optimistic and social again. Still wish the Amoryn would arrive....swear it's coming strapped to the back of a turtle.

TT....I really think they expect too much out of kids today. We get emails from the school and they overwhelm me! I hear teachers bitching about parents.....saying we expect them to our job. I am not a teacher....when the kids are having a tough time it really shouldn't just be thrown in the parents lap. I got two emails from the Math teacher. First one stating that the entire class did poorly on a quiz and she was going to review the material and give them a second chance on the quiz. The second saying....after her reviewing the material and giving the kids another quiz.....the entire class did poorly again. This one stated that it was our responsibility to get the kids on track. If the entire class did poorly twice doesn't this indicate that maybe she needs to look at how she is teaching it? Sigh....

I really enjoy teaching my Friday night clients. It is weird to not have to anywhere until 5p....and makes for a much different Friday night than I was having 2 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by scottish lass View Post
                      Thanks for telling me I sound positive - for some weird reason it helps me to feel that I am being optimistic, which is not my normal behavior,
                      :heartbeat: You are most welcome. And you ARE being optimistic because it shows in your post.
                      See....your're starting to re-train your brain. :welldone: You're on your way.
                      Last edited by porqoui; October 24, 2014, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X