The night sweats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The night sweats

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Working on sobriety but not quite there. I'm waking up in sweats lately during the night. Not drenched but enough that it wakes me up and I need to change my night shirt. I am working towards quitting all together but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to help with this. I bought flannel sheets recently and they helped a lot at first. But now I'm back to waking up at 3am, usually after a weird dream, all sticky with sweat. Has anyone else experienced this while getting sober?

Oh yes. I've been sober for 29 days, and was getting them every night. They've only just calmed down the last few nights, but I'm assured by those who are further down the line than me that it's perfectly normal, and it does calm down. Still having wacko dreams, though!

Don't worry, Dreaming. Look at it as a sign that you're body is preparing for getting normal again. And good luck with starting out...loads of amazing support/advice/tools here. And from experience...a few hours of broken, sober sleep is still ten times more refreshing than 10 hours of drunk sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by shambles70 View Post
      Oh yes. I've been sober for 29 days, and was getting them every night. They've only just calmed down the last few nights, but I'm assured by those who are further down the line than me that it's perfectly normal, and it does calm down. Still having wacko dreams, though!

Don't worry, Dreaming. Look at it as a sign that you're body is preparing for getting normal again. And good luck with starting out...loads of amazing support/advice/tools here. And from experience...a few hours of broken, sober sleep is still ten times more refreshing than 10 hours of drunk sleep.
      Yes Dreaming- the sweats are your body ridding you of all toxins- buried deep in the cells . It's all good-irritating but will pass.
      I wish you luck - you are doing great.:thumbsup:

Comment

I believe the night sweats are part of the process. I was sober for a while, and it took weeks for them to calm down. The crazy dreams as well. But stick with it... once you get past that point, it's totally worth it!!! I sleep with the window cracked and that helps me (it's winter here in Germany so the fresh air keeps the room very cool).

I also have to agree with Shambles that the MWO forum is wonderful. Tons of supportive people who are happy to just listen to you vent (when needed).

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Comment

Hi Dreaming, welcome to MWO night sweats are terrible but normal, I got them for about the first week of being sober then they went away, nice to meet you and hope you stick around
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

agree with all above….with all that sweating, I make sure to stay well hydrated throughout the day or else I get very tired very fast which isn't a good place to be when fighting urges
            jenniech
            12/28/14
            serenity

Comment

Hi, Dreaming

It was useful for me to find out what was actually causing some of the alcohol-induced problems. Part of what you're experiencing comes about because after several hours of sleeping, you have alcohol-induced hypoglycemia. That can be deadly so our bodies are smart enough to act to bring your blood glucose back up to normal. That involves a surge of adrenaline and the resulting heat and restlessness. The good news is that with time AF, those problems usually resolve.

Welcome! NS

Comment

Hi, my solution to night sweats is to put a vest or t shirt on under your pyjamas. When you get soaked. Take off the one under the pj's and try and get back to sleep. Also wrap a small hand towel round your neck when going to bed (a bit like a boxer) this mops up the sweat and stops you getting the chills, which can keep you awake.

When it;s really bad, put a change of top on the floor beside your bed so you can do a quick change without waking up too much and getting chilled.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Oh my goodness- were those AL related?
                  I had no idea.!glad that is over!!!

Comment

Thank you all so much! It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Comment

I had issues as well, only lasted a few weeks.

I checked WebMD and came up with the following suggestions, I don't know about the black Cohosh tea though:

For night sweating. Home remedies for excessive sweating due to alcohol include:
                      Proper hydration - Take lots of water and keep a water bottle by your bed to replace lost fluids. To replace electrolytes, one may also take an energy drink which contains vitamins, minerals and electrolytes.

Sage tea, or tea made from black cohosh or red clover can provide relief from night sweats.

Add some soy products like soy milk or tofu to your diet, since these contain phytoestrogen, a compound that helps relieve the symptom. Women may also use flaxseed oil which helps increase estrogen levels.

Evening primrose oil is a good source of gamma linoleic acid, and also remedies night sweats due to alcohol.

Maintain a comfortable, cool temperature in the room with proper ventilation. Remove blankets which may not be needed.

Wear loose garments when sleeping, preferably made from wicking material (polyester microfiber) which helps keep moisture from the skin.
                      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Same here, lasted dreadfully for a little over a week. YUCK!
                        The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Don't meant to overtake the thread or anything but I used to get crazy night sweats when I got sober in the past...but this recent sober time I haven't had it at all...does that mean that my body hasn't yet gotten rid of the toxins?
                          Mind you I do go to the gym and sweat out a lot of crap there...just thought it was weird that this time I never got night sweats...

Comment

Working...
                          X