No announcement yet.

AF April Abundance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected visitor here so I really haven't time to post. Little granddaughter is here for an overnight and at the moment is finger painting. Yiiikes! Gotta go!

What is a Muck fest?

I'll post tomorrow. Hope you are all having a peaceful AF Saturday evening.
    Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Cyn & Dill - here's the Facebook page for the MuckFest this year
      They raise funds for MS research.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
      Last edited by Lavande; April 25, 2015, 07:56 PM.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning...

Looked up the Muckfest, looks fun. We are going out for lunch with family, then a little shopping. It will be a good day. The weather forecast is getting better, up to 60 and at least partly sunny for most of the week.

Have a great Sunday.

Comment

Morning all - sounds busy all around! I took a look at the Boston MudRunGuide website, and the writing about the 15 obstacles is hysterical. I loved the word play on 'dirty' (as in mud, or) this line was one of my favorites: "Balance Beam - Unbalanced muckers can walk around it and shout out something dirty." What an unusual and brilliant concept for a fundraiser, and how much crazy fun they make it seem. Not for the oldsters, I'm thinking, but fun to watch. I bet it's a great shot in the arm for the people with MS to see their beloveds 'stay the course'. Very inspiring all the way around - thanks for sharing!

Take care all. I ended up doing 5 hours of pitting myself against decades-old wild inhabitations of bittersweet (my version of MuckFest, I guess). Pics will follow. I'm tired today, but not in a lot of pain, so that's a relief! Have to get out there and bundle up all the nasties, but hopefully that will not take another 5 hours. Back to the computer today. Hope all stay well, AF, and happy -

Comment

Good morning friends,

Happy Sunday to all!
            I have no idea what I am doing today excepts roasting a small turkey I found on sale yesterday. Love having those leftovers to play with during the week

Greetings Star, I hope you enjoy your family day!

Cyn, sounds like you are making great progress outside - good for you!
            I think it may be safe for me to dig in my new herb plants today. I'm watching the weather forecast now to be sure we don't have anymore frosty nights on the way.

Greetings Dill, I imagine you are busy with your overnight guest.
            Papmom, good for you getting through the MuckFest in one piece
            Pauly, what are you up to today?

I hope you all have a nice AF Sunday.

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello All,

Lav, thanks for the Muckfest link. Now I understandand it is a very worthy charity to be sure. One of my brothers suffered with MS. My granddaughter left in the early afternoon. She was so much fun to be with. We went out to the pond and caught tadpoles. All that toad song a couple weeks ago was very fruitful indeed! She could dip a clear pastic container into the pond and come up with dozens of them. She was delighted.

Cyn, 5 hours at one stretch seems a little excessive! I just did a couple of hours cutting back invasive honeysuckle and it exhausted me. I must say I cringe when I think of you tearing out bittersweet when it is so hard to come by in my area and I think it is so beautiful in the fall. But, I truly understand needing to push back against the invasives, so I forgive you! LOL!

Star, I really like the Map of Heaven and can recommend it. I feel like a lot of his ideas help me tie up a lot of loose thoughts and ideas of my own regarding there being something bigger than what we know here on earth and the existence of an afterlife. He is such an intelligent man and since he comes from a place of having been an agnostic (like myself) he really hits the mark with me. He's so scientifically grounded, too. I learn so much thru reading his books!

Papmom, I can't wait to hear how the Muckfest went! Also, congrats on your first place wins with DD! That's awesome. And I have to say how absolutely impressed I am that you ran 1.75 miles on the treadmill. You are an inspiration, really.

Pauly, I hope you are having a nice weekend. I'm glad you like the origami flowers. Have you ever tried origami? For that matter, what do you do for hobby/enjoyment? I like to dabble in different things, but my go to hobbies are knit and crochet and hiking. This week I have signed up for a class at the library on card making. I'm meeting a couple of friends there that I used to work with so it will be great fun.

I hope everyone is having a lovely AF Sunday.
              Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning all...

We had a wonderful family day, lots of love and laughter, a little outside time, it was in the high 50s by later in the afternoon. Took a few walks, was outside asmuch as possible. Loved my weekend.

Cyn, five hours does sound like alot but, I think you like it and it is therapy for you. I kind of remember that the desert was not your favorite landscape, and think that working in a green (or soon to be green) yard is more what you like. Just be careful to not hurt yourself. Last night I was achy from more activity and exercise than I am used to, so took a hot soaking bath and two ibuprophen, slept well and not too achy today. Next weekend we have to start in on our yard as it needs some work. On a small scale thank goodness. I started thinking of my dreams and already remembered last nights, can barely wait to get my new dream book.

Lav, hope you enjoyed your turkey. Sounds good. I think that with the cold spring we have had, we could get frost yet for a few more weeks. However, I am from farther north so never planted till Memorial Day weekend to be safe.

Dill, Map of Heaven sounds good. Right now I am reading some mysteries that I can download from the library. Different way to choose books for sure. How fun to get together with friends for a craft activity. Have fun. Your granddaughter sounds so adorable and fun. Glad you get to enjoy her on a regular basis.

Pap, wow, you are doing great, busy and having fun. Good to hear.

Pauly, hello to you.

Have a good Monday all.

Comment

Good Monday morning friends

No sun yet so I'll just pretend, ha ha!
                  I ended up feeding my DIL & grandsons last night, my son was at work. The turkey was good.
                  Can't believe we will be wrapping up the month of April this week!

Dill, glad your granddaughter enjoys communing with nature as much as you do. The simple pleasures are the best
                  Enjoy your card making class this week, sounds like fun!

Star, glad you enjoyed your family weekend!
                  We generally are safe to plant outdoors on Mother's day - whenever that is. It looks like this week will be safe, no frosty nights predicted.

Cyn, sounds like you had your fair share of outdoor time this weekend. Take it easy on yourself today!!

Hi Papmom & Pauly, hope you are both doing well.
                  I am starting my day with a trip to Curves. I will be watching kids the next two day, fun, fun.

Have a great AF Monday everyone!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning ladies, glad your turkey turned out good Lav,I love when the breasts are on sale and I can throw it in the crock pot and it yields enough meat for 4 days always something you can do with turkey/chicken(sorry Stella haha) I tried to look up the site you said to follow on Facebook and I can't find them? Dill,don't think I have patience for origami, I can make a t-shirt out of a dollar bill though haha,that's about as far as my paper folding skills go,as far as fun hmm,I like to walk,interested in nutrition, hanging with Louie, but I really need to get more hobbies, was thinking of some classes such as exercise or a cooking class, something, I feel like even though I quit drinking, I haven't really been putting effort into growing and building a different life if that makes sense, and that's not good! Just lazy maybe, or scared to do anything that jeopardizes my quit, can't do things hubs and I did before,hope everyone has a lovely Monday, hello to all
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi all -

Just a quick note this morning. Dill I had to march outside and take a picture of what Bittersweet really does to trees. Not only is it invasive, the vines get ALL over everything, but worst of all, it climbs up trees and chokes the life out of them. Unattended bittersweet is why most of the huge old trees here are in danger of falling on my house! bittersweet.jpgI've been doing battle with honeysuckle too - also classified as an Invasive in CT.

On Saturday I worked a total of 5 hours - but not all at once, I took breaks! I worked hard again yesterday - it has to happen before things leaf out, and before the gobs of leaves start seriously playing host to ticks, so...the clock is ticking. I proudly uncovered a beautiful (or will be, when I finally get it uncovered) rock formation behind the sheds. I was TIRED this morning, but rain is on the way, so I had to move the 3 remaining bales of hay off of the septic area - left one on the hole, but the others were just keeping any grass from growing. Don't worry, I just wrangled them onto a platform wheely that I have - I didn't man-handle them!

So now finally, I'm getting down to business. I'll be on a trip to do some lecturing work Thus through next Monday, so I've got to meet these deadlines and get the house ready for the dogsitter. That ought to keep me occupied!

So glad all are having good spring times - Lav and the garden, Star walking, Dill and tadpoles, Pauly looking into hobbies...wishing all a great AF day.

Comment

Cyn, thanks for the picture. I totally understand your actions! I'm glad you are pacing yourself. I am doing it that way also. I work a while, then I rest or do a more quiet activity. I hope your lecture excursion is a success. I'm confident it will be!

Pauly, it is wise of you to be careful not to get yourself too far out there when exploring new ways to fill AF time. Putting your quit first is number one. In my early days, weeks, months, I simply did what ever I could to keep distracted, mostly with audio books, walks and binge-watching TV. Crochet and knit are activities that I have done my whole life, so I wasn't learning anything new, just keeping busy with a safe, quiet activity. I tried meditation which helped, and I used the MWO hypnosis CD's which also helped.

Lav, I hope you got some sun today. We started out with a bright day but it has since turned cloudy. It was a good day for outdoor work tho. Did you hear that Chipotle announced that they are going to make it a policy not to use any GMO ingredients? I thought of you when I heard that.

Star, I am really glad you enjoyed your weekend with your family. You really sound so much more upbeat since your move and especially as you have become settled in. I'm so happy for you and your family. I hope your Dad is doing as well as can be expected.

Have a good AF Monday evening.
                        Dill

Comment

Tuesday!

Good morning.

Cyn, loved the picture, you do live in a wooded area. How beautiful. I was thinking today of my house up north and how beautiful it was. You told us you are pacing yourself, good. Getting away later in the week and doing something different sounds interesting.

Lav, more babysitting, fun. We get to babysit Saturday, all afternoon and evening. I am excited! It is kind of cold here early morning, but no frost. I guess this is a colder spring than they are used to down here. As long as there is no snow, it is OK. Turkey sounds delicious. What a good idea.

Dill, my Dad says he is still feeling OK. The treatments have just started, I'll see him in a few weeks. Thanks for mentioning it.

Pauly, sometimes I feel boring too. Oh, well. I had someone ask me, what do you like to do for fun? Read, walk, be with family. Watch TV. LIsten to music. Ride my bike, for fun though. So, maybe I am boring too. Tough. I work full time and like to relax. Oh, and cook. I made a really good chicken salad with greek yogurt and lemon juice. Delicious. Sometimes we are enough, you know? It is OK to just be, not have to do all the time. However, if you want to do something new, that's OK too. I have found that if I compare myself to others, it never works out. I think just being ourselves and AF is good enough.

Pap, have a good one.

Comment

Good Tuesday morning friends!

Bright & sunny here today & will be warming up to about 70 - nice!

We spent the evening watching the TV coverage of the riots going on in Baltimore, very sad. The city is plagued with crime, drugs, racial problems & poverty. We have been there many times to visit the historic area & the aquarium at the inner Harbor. The National Guard has been deployed so hopefully peace will be restored quickly in this city only 50 miles away from here.

Cyn, you are the woman tackling all that overgrowth!!!!
                            Glad you are pacing yourself & taking breaks.
                            Good luck with your lectures, sounds interesting!

Dill, it looks like spring has finally arrived for real around here, ha ha! No frosty nights predicted for the whole week so that's a step in the right direction. I did hear about Chipotle, that's good news! I hope the rest of the food chains get on board the non-GMO train

Star, I do enjoy watching my grandsons a few days each week, feel blessed really. They are growing & changing, I love witnessing their progress.
                            Your chicken salad sounds good. I recently discovered SO Delicious cultured coconut milk & have been using it in place of yogurt in recipes. It's good, it agrees with me & no one knows the difference!

Papmom, you really had a ball at the MuckFest - loved your FB pics.
                            My nephew's kids did one Sunday at a military base in the area. I give you a lot of credit - good job!!!

pauly, I hope Louie is feeling better. It's not easy handling the little ones when they are sick.
                            Do you have any craft stores near by? Take a walk through one & see what sparks an interest, you never know. Developing new interests can help to keep us centered

Wishing everyone a great AF Tuesday!
                            Time to get myself to Curves.

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning - quick check in here. Will be bundling up all the stuff I tore out - a lawn guy is coming to fill his truck up once I''m out of here on Thursday. Star - you are right, being outside is therapy for me. But when I see the woods, all I see is the overgrowth! I guess I need to focus on some of the good parts instead of only seeing everything that needs to be done. Dill and Star , great advice on going easy on ourselves and accepting. Star so glad to hear about how your Dad is doing - here's hoping that he does well with the chemo. Pauly and Pap, hang in there and hope you can get some lovely green spring energy to support you. Lav - enjoy the boys. So sorry there is all that destruction and unrest so close to home. And then the poor people of Nepal...makes my heart break for them - and a reminder to be grateful for all the things that we have; food, water, a roof --

Take care all -

Comment

Morning ladies, Snoop, I feel that way too, I cut hair for a living and after work I really don't want to be around people!family is one thing but after talking to 20 customers a day,it's exhausting making any more small talk,I think it's bugging me about the hobbies cuz my addiction counselor kinda made me feel like a weirdo for not being more social, I never really thought about it before, never really cared, I don't know if I'll continue seeing him anyways, he's big on bringing up the past and I would rather focus on the future, I really don't think rehashing childhood trauma is gonna help me, Lav,Louie is getting sicker! Kell's taking him to the doctor today, he hasn't been eating and he threw up 3 times when I had him in the afternoon, it still stinks downstairs, I feel so bad for him,we used to have a Joanne's around the corner but they closed it years ago, there's a cute little scrapbook place close, I used to buy seasonal sobriety stickers there,scrapbooking would be fun but sometimes looking at old pics is depressing, I'm sure some can relate Dill,good for Chipotle,for what they charge it should be GMO free haha,gotta get ready for work, hello to all and take care, have a wonderful Tuesday
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X