Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to get my life back!

:new:

I am so happy to have stumbled across this forum. I am so ready to end this misery that is my Alcohol addiction. As I read through these forums I can relate to almost everything everyone is saying about their addiction and I am fascinated by the stories of Baclofen sucess! And the icing on the cake is the Anxiety relief. I have always suffered from severe anxiety and now realize it is probably how I wound up with this monkey on my back in the first place.

I have a couple questions. First one is with regard to withdrawl. I suffer greatly from even one night of not drinking. I toss and turn and sweat like crazy. Then the next day I shake and my thoughts race. I am quite frightned about what I read about DTs. Will Baclofen alone curb withdrawl symptoms?

Secondly, I ordered Baclofen but it won't arrive for another couple weeks according to the estimated delivery date. I live in Houston, TX. I know this is a long shot but does anyone know how I can get some immediatly so I don't need to wait?

I am NOT a doctor and this is NOT medical advice. Alcohol withdrawal is no joke. Physical symptoms persist for 4-5 days, and they suck. If you are not having seizures (more than the shakes, like actual seizures) you might not be hospitalized--or you might be, but I ran into problems with my insurance covering a hospital stay. Either way, seeing a doctor is a really, really good idea.

Sleeping will be an issue for a few weeks. Maybe 4 hours a night for a while. And anxiety. AA might not be a bad idea either, no matter what your goal is. Just raise your hand when they ask if there are new people in the room. They will come up to you after and you'll find out what to expect over the next days/weeks. It's not fun, but that doesn't mean it's not for the best.

Good luck!

Comment

I dont know about baclofen for withdrawal symptoms but do also think a doctor would be a good idea if you do get withdrawals. You didnt say how much you drink and for how long youve been doing it. the problem with seizures is that you wont know about them until its happened. I have done inpatient detoxes and also home detoxes under supervision using librium which is standard practice in the UK, or you could get a doctors advice to gradually reduce the amount you drink and do it that way, I have also done this but could only do it because I went and stayed with family and someone measured my drinks out, theres no way I could have done it at home myself, too much temptation to go over the amount.

Whatever you decide it is a great thing you want to do and well worth it, ask all the questions you need and read around here. I wish you success

Comment

Helix;1339199 wrote:

I have a couple questions. First one is with regard to withdrawl. I suffer greatly from even one night of not drinking. I toss and turn and sweat like crazy. Then the next day I shake and my thoughts race. I am quite frightned about what I read about DTs. Will Baclofen alone curb withdrawl symptoms?

Secondly, I ordered Baclofen but it won't arrive for another couple weeks according to the estimated delivery date. I live in Houston, TX. I know this is a long shot but does anyone know how I can get some immediatly so I don't need to wait?
        Hi, Helix and welcome!

Why are you concerned with withdrawal? I ask for a couple of reasons. One of the "gifts" of baclofen is that many of us continued to drink when starting out on it. (And even all the way through. Not to be recommended, but whatever. More on that later.)
        How much and how often do you drink? I drank a bottle and a half to two bottles of wine every night for years. Had the same symptoms that you describe. But I've never experienced withdrawals that would amount to anything dramatic. Uncomfortable to downright miserable, yes. But DTs? No way.
        Don't get me wrong, you don't want to up and quit cold turkey and send yourself into a whole new world of hurt. Withdrawal can be serious up to really, really serious. Bac helps. But I'm not a doctor, and don't know you, so I wouldn't even begin to suggest a course of action about using bac to withdraw from a cold-turkey-stop. That needs a doc just to make sure you're okay for the long run.

You can get some from a doctor in Chicago--Dr. Levin. Call him at night, at home. It's his preference. It's a rather convoluted process, particularly in the beginning, but as he does it out of the kindness of his heart (and on a sliding scale) we play by his rules. I'll attach an appropriate thread. (But if I forget, maybe someone else will? Please?)

Congrats on the decision! Read, read, read! (But don't get too alarmed! :H) And ask away when you've got questions. That IS the whole point. Well, that and some entertainment and stuff too.

:welcome:

Comment

Helix;1339199 wrote: :new:

I am so happy to have stumbled across this forum. I am so ready to end this misery that is my Alcohol addiction. As I read through these forums I can relate to almost everything everyone is saying about their addiction and I am fascinated by the stories of Baclofen sucess! And the icing on the cake is the Anxiety relief. I have always suffered from severe anxiety and now realize it is probably how I wound up with this monkey on my back in the first place.

Remember this post Helix. DO you really want to go through this again?
          I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Rainyday;1386826 wrote: Remember this post Helix. DO you really want to go through this again?
            Good point.

Comment

If you want to stop drinking rather than gradually slow down using baclofen, as some people here have done, definitely see a doctor or hospital emergency department. They are fully aware of withdrawal management using a benzodiazepine such as Librium or Valium for about 5 days. You could still then start baclofen, and maybe remain sober while getting your dose titrated upwards. Baclofen alone has been mentioned as a withdrawal agent alone, in uncomplicated cases of alcohol withdrawal, but a benzodiazepine is the most widely used and most effective drug type for this purpose. As I said it is only 5 days and you can start baclofen straight afterwards if you take this path.

Comment

Working...
              X