New Kid on the Block! Seeking Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Folks. First time post! I just found this site this morning and am hoping it can help me. I love to drink wine, and don't want to quit. I'd LOVE to learn how to drink in moderation however. I start .... and it seems I just can't stop. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!
    DaisyMarie

Welcome Daisy Marie!

Just wanted to say hi. This is an awesome support community. I'm new here too but after just a short time I can tell you that this group is making a huge difference for me. I am going for alcohol free, but many here are going for moderation and I'm sure you will get lots of responses. From what I hear, the weekends are slower (makes sense) so didn't want you to be left hanging.

Welcome!!

DG
    Day 4 AF
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi DaisyMarie

Welcome. I am like you, love to drink wine, but can't stop once I start. 3 bottles in one day is not unusual for me.

I found this site about a month ago and ordered the book, kudzu, supps and hypno CDs. Booked an appointment with my doctor to get the topa for last Thursday - he wouldn't prescribe it and I discovered that no medic will in England. Had to resport to ordering that on-line too.

I wanted to wait for the topa to start the programme and was bitterly disappointed at the set back.

Anyway, having sort advice from a few experienced people on here, I took the 'bull by the horns' and started yesterday.

I was not working (usually a 3 bottle day) and have to report an amazing experience. I had 1/2 a glass of wine with lunch and found myself sipping it very slowly. The same in the evening - 1 glass of wine lasted 4 hours!!! And I had no desire for anymore after that. (this is the effect that kudzu had in the double blind study published on the research page).

I am absolutely astounded...

Hope this is helpful and that your experience, if you start the programme, is the same as mine.

K-M :h

Comment

thanks

Thank you Doggy and Chaaku. I hope to stay drunk free at least ... but we'll see. I can't even figure out what makes me continue to drink after I've had enough. It's .... confusing. I guess somehow I think it'll make me feel better -- I don't know! Anyway - I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Hi,
          Things that have helped me include:

Not drinking before having eaten.
          Drink water in-between glasses of wine.
          Keep hands busy so that they don't itch to pick up the glass.
          Buy a small bottle and don't have more available.

First however, I would suggest reading the My Way Out book and many posts on here,particularly on the relevant moderation threads.

Moderation is not easy but is possible as many people on here have proved.

Good luck on your journey to Your Way Out.
          Enough is enough

Comment

DaisyMarie, big welcome to you! if you can download RJ's book from this website I'd highly recommend doing so...chock full of info. there is a couple sections here on the forums for moderators. The most common priority is to go 30 days alcohol free to clear your mind and prove to yourself you CAN be just wonderful without... happy learning
            D
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi Daisy,

I would do a lot of research - read up on the site and order the book by Roberta Jewell. One thing that I can say is that few folks have found lasting moderation without first taking some time off of drinking. There are some who just cut down and that was that for them, but not too many can work that program.

I would definitely suggest trying for a period of abstinence - as D indicated - 30 days is the recommended. It may take you a while to get to 30 days, but it does come. Some people can do it their first time, others take a while longer to string together their first AF (alcohol free) days.

One thing I can say is to avail yourself of all the tools you can find here. There is lots of info - on supplements, medications, hypnosis, current research, etc. This is a successful, doable program and if you follow it, you will get some measure of relief.

Good luck,
              Pansy

Comment

kudzu and determination are a great combination. Also if you happen to socialize with heavy drinkers, try to take a little break so you can get your bearings back. If you drink alone, don't bring home wine until you learn to listen to the voice that says. 'that's enough'.

I think that really helped for me. I won't say that it was easy as I am still in the process of keeping my consumption to no more than 3 glasses every other day.

I've slipped a few times, but it's getting easier each day, last night I shared one bottle of merlot with a friend, and we talked and talked from 11pm until 3am, it was so nice to be able to walk home like a normal human being and not wake up with half my clothes on wondering what the heck I'd said or done.
                Welcome
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I will certainly read the MWO book and get some Kudzu - which I think I already have in my cabinet - a combination of Kudzu and St. John'sWort, I believe. Anyone have that combination? And - look more into the Moderation Forum and check this site out more. I'm so glad I found you all! I did drink less last night -- one step at a time, I guess!

Comment

Working...
                  X