PDA

View Full Version : relief from extreme soreness??

Determinator
July 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM
day two of my martial arts seminar and I'm a walking ball of pain. I managed to snap back both my big toe nails right off today and both my shoulders are on fire...yow! I'm not sure what the heck that is but it happens when I really work my arms a lot in funny angles. I managed to get some ice which really helped but was curious if anyone knows any supplement/s that help with overall soreness?

gasp....wheeeeze....one more day to go.

trixietrack
July 15th, 2007, 12:25 AM
calcium and magnesium are muscle relaxants. Try to stay hydrated.

trixietrack
July 15th, 2007, 12:26 AM
what does the mattress mean?

Saint Jude
July 15th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Dtx, You lost both of your big toenails? That is a long & painful process to get them back! I've lost both of mine from hiking w/a heavy backpack going downhill fast, with new shoes... bad idea!
Luckilly, I was meeting up with a raft trip to float out for a for few weeks down the bottom of the Grand Canyon @ the time.. but it did put a damper on some of my side canyon hiking...:confused: I just had to go real slow & bare foot!:cool: (with a lot of tequila..back then...desert pain killer!)

I sure hope you heal quikly!:h

amethyst
July 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Ouch Jude-I've done that before-minus the tequila! Why do I hike in new boots? Det-the cal/mag are good suggestions. If you can stand to get in some warm/hot water, it helps reduce the lactic acid(maybe drape your feet outside the tub?):H Staying hydrated, making sure you've got those EFA's going(essential fatty acids), potassium-maybe a banana or recovery drink? Many sports stores now sell a post work out drink -never tried it, might be worth a try. I think they are basically electrolyte drinks that are slightly ramped up. My hubby swears by the gels during extended work outs. Good luck!

Determinator
July 15th, 2007, 11:34 AM
good stuff everyone...thanks! didn't lose my entire toenails, just flipped about half of them backwards into broken bleeding bits...yowsa!
the mattress Trixie...hard to explain but it's in relation to the Queen joke that's been going around. just that my sense of humor is a bit odd. queen mattress in this case. also there's the test bed joke Paddy has inspired...so a multi-directional pun of sorts.

SKendall
July 15th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Try tylenol for arthritis - it's a much larger dosage than regular. Poor you, sweetie.

KatieSmiles
July 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Why not try having some deep fried sausage wrapped hard cooked egg...yummo! :yuk:

Determinator
July 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM
my word KatieS....that sounds so unhealthy :)

SK I ended up taking a couple ibuprophin (what I had on hand) all the supps/minerals in the house and rubbing on some aspercream type of product...it helped.
I've apparently survived the seminar..hope I don't get more sore tomorrow!

amethyst
July 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM
So Det, how did you get on post seminar? How did it all go for you? Were you going for a particular belt/level? Or was it more general? Still sore?:H

eustacia
July 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Ouch! Arnica Montana balm or tablets work wonders for me. Good luck!

E

paula
July 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Glucosamine sulphate, is good for repairing joint cartilage, also for arthritic pain without
drugs. Paula.

bassgirl
September 5th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I'm coming into this thread late, but something tells me this won't be the last time you're limping and sore. :D

After a really challenging workout, I make myself a tall glass of seltzer with a tsp or two of umeboshi paste. It's a real treat for me - umeboshi is so salty that I can't justify indulging unless I've done some serious sweating. Ume will flush out some of the metabolic byproducts that cause our friend Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. One caveat - buy it from the health food store, *not* the Asian supermarket. Make sure that you're not buying a product full of artificial colors and sweeteners!

Arnica gel is also good as a topical treatment. If you have any friends who train at a good kung fu school, ask them to score you a bottle of dit da jow - bruise liniment. If you apply it soon enough after whatever you did to bang yourself up, it will prevent bruising and muscle soreness.

Also. Dude. Walk it out. Nothing you can do or buy is more effective than walking. It hurts, and it sucks, but you'll flush out your system and stretch your muscles.

Finding My Self
September 5th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Det...OUCH! Bassgirl seems to have it covered (clocked for future reference - thanks!) but I can only send good thoughts. I have always got really sore after anything new or not done for a while (riding = can't stop a pig in a corridor for a week...!!) (work it out!!!) and it's a horrible pain plus the toe nails....:upset:

Walking sounds good and from me I can only offer a dose of the old "This too will pass..."

Sorry that's all there is from me but a hug anyway....:l
F x

Determinator
September 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Bassgirl, I'm impressed you know about dit da jow...I haven't heard that term in quite some time... haven't even thought about it...good idea! Yes, I'll be sore off and on for the rest of my crazy life I'm sure :)

I'll definately take you up on the hug FMF XXX

Finding My Self
September 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hey Det - mutual hug needed!!! Was thinking about you today as I tottered about after my Flamenco dancing on Friday!!! I can't moooooove for 20 paces after sitting down and when a guy stopped in his car to let me cross the road yesterday I felt a real wally; I went across the road like I was made of stone!! Not a joint working in sight!!!
:crazymonkey: NOT!!!!

Taking a dose of my own medicine - this too will pass.....but B***** hurts for a few days!!!! Hey, but the dance is sooo worth it - hope the martial arts are too. Sure they are and we're pretty fab aren't we to be doing all these lovely, active and satisfying things now vs looking down the neck of a bottle ey?!?!??!?!!? :H

Here be HUG! :l
FMF x

Java
September 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I have to agree that you need to walk it off, the only surefire way to work out the soreness is to work out, unless your injured ( pulled muscle) it works the best.

meditation mama
September 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Arnica and Tiger Balm for me....

xtexan
September 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Fascinating.

My recent exertion during a personal best run left me a bit sore on most of the big muscles. Shins and gluts were stiff as all get out. My usual self-therapy is a combination of ice packs, heating pads, NSAIDS, and extra-strength balms of menthol and methyl-salicylate. Good old Absorbine Jr. seems to have dissappeared off the store shelfs in some places. It was an alcohol tincture containing Calendula, Echinacea, Wormwood, and Menthol extracts. I still have a bottle of that somewhere around here.

So I got curious about this dit da jow, being as the engineer in me has to analyze and disassemble just about everything to see how it works. Apparently there are a number of recipes for it, some super secret apparently. But I did find a website with several dit da jow recipes, and noted some similarity between a few and Absorbine Jr. Here is the link to the dit da jow info.

http://www.kenponet.com/flame/business/general/gen_ddj.html (http://www.kenponet.com/flame/business/general/gen_ddj.html)

I am going to look into this further, as now my curiosity is piqued.

Neil

Determinator
September 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
wow, cool site Neil...thanks!

well FMF you Flamenco dancer you....that sounds like fun! Although my experience with dancing was not so glamerous. Dx and I signed up for a dance class at the local college about 9 years ago. to make a long story short the instructor called me to the front of the class and had me dance solo. He then said if you want to dance like a robot that's how you do it. Needless to say we didnt return for the rest of the class. and they still haven't found his body :)

Finding My Self
September 17th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Too b***** right Det!!!! That's mean!!!! (I mean the end of your sentence not the beginning.) What a shame you felt you couldn't dance! Can't stand the humiliation approach to teaching - what are these people on?!?!

Well, here I am (?!?!) in my mind's eye. :crazymonkey: Reality = still as stiff and sore as hell!! Had forgotten that Cornish/Breton dance and Salsa (my usual cocktail!) etc do not require such huge, stretched, tensioned arm and head movements as Flamenco so it's the combination of feet and upper body soreness that's pole-axed me!! (Sad old bag!!!) Have to succumb to the old NSAIDs I fear! (Boy, no wonder the Spanish revere their Flamenco dancers - they are strong!!!)

When folk have posted here about seltzer..do you mean like in Alka Seltzer? I know my daughter's step-mom swears by that but I don't know the amounts and (a) don't want to call her (!) and (b) have amazing stomach stuff going on with an over-dose!!!!! Too late now anyways I know - got to be with the hot bath that same night I gather. But for future times...

Right, got to get up and stagger about for a bit..... and me an Alexander Teacher....aaagh!

Love FMF xx

Jules
September 17th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Please don't turn your nose up at this but take cod liver oil jell caps. I started taking them for my joints and it worked so well I was able to go off of my Celebrex with my DR.s approval. Research it. Its good for anything that is inflamed and it is also good for your eyesight.

Julie

Determinator
September 18th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I don't doubt it Jules. Fish oils are amazing and I think modern science is only just learning their value. Dr Barry Sears of "the zone" diet notoriety wrote a book just on the subject of omega3's from fish oils and said that mega-dosing fish oil can reverse brain damage etc. It might even help my dancing!

FMF, I think most are refereing to soda water when they say selzer...at least that's what I mean :)

Finding My Self
September 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys - ah, I drink gallons of fizzy water but I guess sodawater's different isn't it...? I shall pick some up. And as my eyesight's fallen apart as well as my legs...I'm off to get cod-liver-oil (or is straight Omega-3 fish oils better?) capsules too....oh, ugh, that fishy 'repeat' an hour later though....!! Worth it though to walk without looking 97!!
Onwards and....lie down!!

Deter - are you joining me'n Rustop in the dancin' troupe then...?!?! Good oh. Never can be too many men!

Love FMF x

sammys
September 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Geez garlic that sounds so painful, if I break a nail down to far I whine for days.

Hot bath for sore muscles.

Sammys

Newyear
September 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hey julie - thanks I'm going to check that out. I have lower back pain due mostly from arthritis - maybe it could help that??

good info here
Neil that was an interesting link but I don't think I want to make anything that involves buying a bottle of vodka :)

lisa