relief from extreme soreness??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

day two of my martial arts seminar and I'm a walking ball of pain. I managed to snap back both my big toe nails right off today and both my shoulders are on fire...yow! I'm not sure what the heck that is but it happens when I really work my arms a lot in funny angles. I managed to get some ice which really helped but was curious if anyone knows any supplement/s that help with overall soreness?

gasp....wheeeeze....one more day to go.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

calcium and magnesium are muscle relaxants. Try to stay hydrated.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

what does the mattress mean?
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Dtx, You lost both of your big toenails? That is a long & painful process to get them back! I've lost both of mine from hiking w/a heavy backpack going downhill fast, with new shoes... bad idea!
        Luckilly, I was meeting up with a raft trip to float out for a for few weeks down the bottom of the Grand Canyon @ the time.. but it did put a damper on some of my side canyon hiking... I just had to go real slow & bare foot! (with a lot of tequila..back then...desert pain killer!)

I sure hope you heal quikly!:h
        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Ouch Jude-I've done that before-minus the tequila! Why do I hike in new boots? Det-the cal/mag are good suggestions. If you can stand to get in some warm/hot water, it helps reduce the lactic acid(maybe drape your feet outside the tub?):H Staying hydrated, making sure you've got those EFA's going(essential fatty acids), potassium-maybe a banana or recovery drink? Many sports stores now sell a post work out drink -never tried it, might be worth a try. I think they are basically electrolyte drinks that are slightly ramped up. My hubby swears by the gels during extended work outs. Good luck!
          Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

good stuff everyone...thanks! didn't lose my entire toenails, just flipped about half of them backwards into broken bleeding bits...yowsa!
            the mattress Trixie...hard to explain but it's in relation to the Queen joke that's been going around. just that my sense of humor is a bit odd. queen mattress in this case. also there's the test bed joke Paddy has inspired...so a multi-directional pun of sorts.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Try tylenol for arthritis - it's a much larger dosage than regular. Poor you, sweetie.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Why not try having some deep fried sausage wrapped hard cooked egg...yummo! :yuk:
                Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

my word KatieS....that sounds so unhealthy

SK I ended up taking a couple ibuprophin (what I had on hand) all the supps/minerals in the house and rubbing on some aspercream type of product...it helped.
                  I've apparently survived the seminar..hope I don't get more sore tomorrow!
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

So Det, how did you get on post seminar? How did it all go for you? Were you going for a particular belt/level? Or was it more general? Still sore?:H
                    Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Ouch! Arnica Montana balm or tablets work wonders for me. Good luck!

E

Comment

Glucosamine sulphate, is good for repairing joint cartilage, also for arthritic pain without
                        drugs. Paula.

Comment

I'm coming into this thread late, but something tells me this won't be the last time you're limping and sore.

After a really challenging workout, I make myself a tall glass of seltzer with a tsp or two of umeboshi paste. It's a real treat for me - umeboshi is so salty that I can't justify indulging unless I've done some serious sweating. Ume will flush out some of the metabolic byproducts that cause our friend Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. One caveat - buy it from the health food store, *not* the Asian supermarket. Make sure that you're not buying a product full of artificial colors and sweeteners!

Arnica gel is also good as a topical treatment. If you have any friends who train at a good kung fu school, ask them to score you a bottle of dit da jow - bruise liniment. If you apply it soon enough after whatever you did to bang yourself up, it will prevent bruising and muscle soreness.

Also. Dude. Walk it out. Nothing you can do or buy is more effective than walking. It hurts, and it sucks, but you'll flush out your system and stretch your muscles.

Comment

Det...OUCH! Bassgirl seems to have it covered (clocked for future reference - thanks!) but I can only send good thoughts. I have always got really sore after anything new or not done for a while (riding = can't stop a pig in a corridor for a week...!!) (work it out!!!) and it's a horrible pain plus the toe nails....:upset:

Walking sounds good and from me I can only offer a dose of the old "This too will pass..."

Sorry that's all there is from me but a hug anyway....:l
                            F x
                            :heart: c: :heart:
                            "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Bassgirl, I'm impressed you know about dit da jow...I haven't heard that term in quite some time... haven't even thought about it...good idea! Yes, I'll be sore off and on for the rest of my crazy life I'm sure

I'll definately take you up on the hug FMF XXX
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X