Drunken Revelry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drunken Revelry

Hi Everyone: My daughter & her husband went to a wedding last night, & I was looking at the digital photos this morning. They started off as group shots w/everyone smiling & sipping drinks. As the drinking progressed, I could see the change in people: dancing, carrying on, & the last 10-12 shots were cleavage shots of womens' chests...my daughter said someone had swiped her camera off the table & taken them. These were shots that only could have been taken & posed for under the influence.

There is no way sober fun could in any way equal what I saw in those photos, & there was a part of me that felt sad about that. I know plenty of the revelers were nursing hangovers this morning (including my son-in-law), but the difference between regular party-goers & alcoholic party-goers is that the alcoholics would not let a hangover deter them from drinking today.

I've been doing well w/AF, but I realize that the way I enjoy parties & weddings is going to change. That uninhibitedness that comes w/drinking cannot be duplicated any other way. Unfortunately, I cannot have that once-in-a-while experience. I overdo & use alcohol in other ways. It's a bad habit that I must break. Anyhow, w/the gain of sobriety, something has to go. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Drunken Revelry

Can Relate

Hey Mary,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am also an all or none chick. No once-in-a-while drinking for me. If it's good, why not do it all-the-while?

Hence, it's a no go.

That realization has been so HARD for me to accept. I just cant do it sometimes. I can't. I am not wired that way. No matter how hard I try.

Big kudos and big hugs to you.

What you describe sounds like a difficult and very-responsible moment.

It's a hard thing to hold up a mirror to yourself and see yourself, weaknesses and all.

It's even harder to say, I don't like what I see and I'm going to change.

We are all here to support you in becoming your absolute best self!

You can do it!

Keep on keepin' on!!

:thumbs:

~groovy~
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
    Talent will not-- nothing is more common than
    unsuccessful people with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
    Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
    The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
    the problems of the human race.
    -- Calvin Coolidge

Comment

Drunken Revelry

inhibitions

Hi Teach

What you wrote just proves to me that this is a societal problem. That many people are dependent on alcohol to loosen up and have fun. That's why it is so hard for us to give up because it is a socially accepted drug. Why do we have all these inhibitions?

also, some of those people who look like they are having fun, perhaps a fair percentage, probably have problems such as those expressed on this website. chances are if they have as much to loosen up to not notice their cleavage pics are being taken, they are putting themselves at risk for health problems.

Comment

Drunken Revelry

Mary I just love reading your posts as you contemplate things and soul search things on your journey. Your insights give me more things to think about in my own life. And GC, and can 100% relate to what you are saying. I am an all or nothing sort as well. An over achiever of sorts I suppose. Unfortunately, drinking was something I over achieved at too. Moderation at anything is difficult for me - I'm just not wired that way like you said. I actually felt a huge sense of relief when I made a personal decision to go AF, with a desire to be AF for good.

Mary I bet those pictures really were an eye opener. It got me thinking about the next time I *might* (if I feel strong and ready for it) choose to observe that sort of thing first hand. Mr. Doggy and I belong to the local Chamber of Commerce, and every month they have a "Business After Hours" which is actually a GREAT networking opportunity for our business. (especially EARLY in the event) The people who either don't drink, or just have one or two do that. But there is the element that gets shit faced - even in front of their local business peers. (yikes) I haven't been to one of these in a long time as 1) by 5PM I was already too far gone to put myself in front of the local business community peers and 2) On one past occassion I was one of those people making a horses behind out of myself which I hope the community has finally had enough time to forget about.

So...hopefully in August Mr. Doggy and I can go and 1) make it a productive networking event for our business and 2) see the whole crowd through a different pair of glasses, reinforcing that my decision to stop drinking truly is a good one. (I already know that...but ....ya know.....)

Nancy, you bring up an excellent point about the societal problem. And in my not so humble opinion, "society" in a broad general sense can be pretty two faced about it. That is a topic worthy of it's own thread IMO.

OK, I'm babbling now but it sure beats drinking!! Great thought provoking stuff once again Mary!

DG
        Day 6 AF******
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Drunken Revelry

Dear DGirl: I've gone to 2 social events lately where I stayed sober & others drank. It is a unique experience for me. Instead of just blabbing anything that is in my head, I actually take time to think before I speak. I'm not a natural talker, life-of-the party type; therefore, there are times during the party when I'm somewhat quiet. It's OK to be the way I am.

I just hope I can keep up this AF streak (a short one in comparison to others). I care so much about you all.

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Drunken Revelry

You are so right Mary - it is MORE than OK to just be you. I'd rather be quiet for a change than do what I've done for years - make an a$$ out of myself.

I BELIEVE we can do this Mary. Your strategy of being ever mindful of the pros (few..any??) and cons (many) is a winner I know. At least that is what has gotten me through not smoking, and is helping me get through not drinking. We just have to keep doing that every time, even when it's really hard. Easier said than done...I know. But what's that alternative???? (I don't like the alternative to choosing NOT to drink - it's not a good alternative for me anyway).

Thanks Mary!

DG
            Day 6 AF******
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X