A Boy Called IT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Boy Called IT

I am currently reading, for the second time, A Boy Called IT. If anyone has read or heard about this book, it is very traumatic (sorry of this book has been discussed previously). The book is set in three parts from childhood to adulthood. The boy - David is subject to numerous beatings, torture and starvation. The mother is an alcoholic, what she puts her child through is just simply unbelievable, I mean I have to read some parts twice so I can get the full understanding of it because I cannot grasp how a mother can put someone through such a horrendous chain of events. Including the mother stabbing him and feeding him ammonia.

Anyhoo, this book inspired me in two parts:

1. If anyone can live through all of that and come out good in the end and raise a family and NOT fall prey to substance abuse, then I can overcome my demons and not rely on it too.
    2. I do NOT want to end up being a psychotic spawn of satan and raise my family (when I eventually have one) in a nuturing and loving environment. Not one where I am a constant mess and cannot remember what I did the night before.

Any feedback would be fabo...:thanks:
    Good job!:goodjob:

A Boy Called IT

It's a true story?
    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

A Boy Called IT

PP, yes it is a true story, he writes 3 books, following his life ......

They are very good but they are very depressing if you have a soft side like I do .....

BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

A Boy Called IT

I read this book as well and was totally moved by it. I read it many years ago then saw the author on Oprah. What an amazing person ot have lived through this type of abuse.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

A Boy Called IT

Just goes to show that we are much tougher than we think!

He had an awful childhood....

Kind of makes me feel like a woosey! Mine was not wonderful but absolutely nothing like what he went through... I had a grandma that loved me...

He had some "sick..o" family!

:h Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

A Boy Called IT

One of the things that stuck me about this situation was that he was SELECTED by his mother for this treatment. His other brothers were not treated as he was and were in fact forbidden to have any contact with him.

In reading the series of books, it is apparent that he did not come out unscathed. He had serious emotional problems, mostly trust issues to deal with as he grew up.

Finkle, if you can read all of the books in the series, its very intersting to see how his story unfolds as well as that of the rest of his family members

Comment

A Boy Called IT

im almost finished the last the 3 books of his and its very interesting how his life unfolds. I really admire him and im glad that I read all 3 books. I put it off for a long time as I thought it would be too hard to read but its more a story of survival than self pity.

Comment

A Boy Called IT

Yes I have read this too, truly a book that has you thinking long after you put it down, makes me really really count my blessings.

L
                Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Working...
                X