Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I get so annoyed with "congratulations"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother in law.
    She called this morning. And we were chit chatting. We used to be quite close until this "drinking" thing came to a head, and my husband and I were almost divorced. Of course, she took his side, as any mother should, and I understand that. However, she would come over during those first very difficult weeks when I had been crying and crying because I had found out that he had been having an "emotional affair" and that our problems were not necessarily all about MY drinking....and she would put this smile on and talk about the weather, or something completely unrelated. She avoided the issues like the plague.
    Ok, so she didn't want to get in the middle. Fine. But I got no support from her whatsoever. None from hubby at the beginning either. Mind you, I was near suicidal at this point. Hubby would talk to his mommy, and I felt like the biggest outcast.
    Finally, the sh*t hit the fan, I had an "episode" after weeks of crying, and I freaked out, yelling, swinging....it was VERY ugly. What does hubby do? Calls mama. What does mama do? Calls father in law. So I come out looking like a complete psychopath because I have finally hit my breaking point.
    The next day she called and said "oh, heard you kinda fell of the wagon last night". Nice. cute.
    That was about 3 months ago.

Things have much calmed down now, and that seems like forever ago, and hubby and I have gone through counselling, etc. We're getting there! BUT: Things have NOT been the same with her. I just cannot get past the fact that so much was said behind my back and that she did not support me and that at my ultimate time of distress, she not only did not try to help me, but called my father in law who is very judgemental (he thinks my kids need counselling and I need AA because of this 1 isolated incident.... grrrrr).

SOOOOO, when she called this morning, she said "oh, by the way, I wanted to compliment you and say congratulations on your drinking. You are drinking like the rest of us now! See what it's like to drink like a normal person? You just drink slowly. You don't have to chug, Becca. Just enjoy your time like the rest of us. You've done it! You know how to do it now, you're all better..... BLA BLA BLA"

OK, fire away with the advice. Let it go, take it easy on her, or be wary cuz she was never really on board with me anyhow??
    Thanks for the vent. Just don't know why I wanted to strangle someone for a congratulations!!!!!
    Becca

Re: Why do I get so annoyed with "congratulations"

Hi Becca

Tell your Mother in Law (and Father in Law) to f*** off. I'm really pleased that you are doing so well - but why do people have to be so condescending - they don't need to know everything about you - and your husband should take your side against them - You are as good as anybody else - don't forget that. Life can get really hard sometimes and it's not always easy to be strong all the time - you are just human and clearly doing really well - I don't think I'll be able to drink in moderation certainly not for a good long while. Keep it up.

XX

Comment

Becca,
      I was really close with my mother-in-law as well. I still am, but not the same way. The two of us used to sit on her deck and drink wine all day, not get bombed, but get a little bit tipsy. I don't really spend as much time over there now. I'm not sure why, but I feel guilty for not visiting as much.

That is a hard place to be in. I wish I had some good advice for you. I guess if she says anything again, tell her that you don't feel your husband should have told her your personal issues and you would appreciate it if she didn't mention it again. My mother-in-law doesn't really mention it, she buys NA wine and offers it to me, but she doesn't really mention my drinking.

Hang in there Becca!
      Marcie

Comment

Hey Becca,
        I know you and I have talked about this subject a lot, as I have been through a similar situation with my mother-in-law. My husband also told her about my "drinking too much" about a year before I found this site. He didnt tell me at first that he had told her, but I could TELL that something was different by the way she suddenly was different around me.... cold would be a good word. So I point blank asked my husband if he had told her, and he said that he needed somebody to talk to. I understand that he needed someone to talk to, but I just wish he had not chosen her. Our relationship has always been a tad testy anyway -- she is the complete "picture" of the Raymond's mother on Everybody Loves Raymond. Even LOOKS just like her. Same hair, etc. She is just not sarcastic like her, but she would very much like to tell us how to live our lives. She already dominates our every Saturday morning by starting this tradition that we all meet at Bob Evans for breakfast. Her boys all feel this obligation to go, but us "daughter-in-laws" usually stay home and dont participate. It has caused a lot of resentment. On the few times I have gone, she says..."OH Wow Alicen, I'm so glad you could join us". (Barf...peuk, slap).

Anyhow... things have never been the same since my hubby let her in on that very personal and private issue of mine. I think I would have to say something Becca if she EVER brought it up again. It would be ONE thing if YOU had gone and talked to her and chosen to confide in her, but this should have never been her business to begin with.

Argghh... I understand my friend!!

Comment

Becca,
          When I read the last paragraph about your MIL and her comments - my stomach tightened and did a flip flop - those words are a "button" for me. God help me! I really feel your pain, my mum says those things to me all the time and it really stresses me out and makes me want to RUN to the plonk. If only they knew.

Actually, having a thought, why not say to your MIL (and I will say the same to my mum) "listen, I know you dont quite understand what the problem is because you havent been through it, but when you try to congratulate or counsel me about my drinking, it presses a button, I dont know why, but it really stresses me out and makes me anxious". I for one am going to tell my mum that unfortunately although I love her dearly, she just isnt one of the persons in my world that I can talk about drinking with. I am 44 years old and still have parental issues!

So Becca, (I am still tense from reading that thing) you are not alone, and honestly - apart from dealing with it head on - the only other option is to wipe it out of your mind. You might be saner for it.

Maybe there is too much water under the bridge to deal with, it is a tsunami for you, and instead of trying to row in to it, catch a wave and ride right out! I am on my surfboard right along side of you!

Love Jools xxx

Comment

Becca;

So sorry to hear that you have to go through this...But you know in your heart know that you are not the same person before you made your commitment and decided to follow the program here at MWO. Don't ever let anyone take that from you. I personally know that you've come along way, and whatever anyone else thinks, Oh Well..let them think it and you keep striving and doing the Awesome Job that you continue to do.

Brandy

PS. I've got an in-law story for you, not about drinking, but just being annoying. Too long to post about so I'll tell you later..

Comment

Becca, repeat the following mantra. It alway works for me.

..."Up your nose, with a rubber hose. Up your nose, with a rubber hose. Up your nose with a rubber hose." etc.

Tawny

Comment

I'm curious, Becca, did hubby tell Mom WHY you freaked out??--like his alternative paramour, or did he omit that little detail? Also Mom is an interesting choice of confidantes at his age, too, but that is all water under the bridge.....It may be that your MIL means well, but the fact of the matter is that the family boundaries (like in Everybody Loves Raymond) are verrrry blurrrrry! I could go into a psychoanalytical diatribe, but I would prefer to be Miss Manners here! Whatever your feelings, I would love to imagine your saying, "Thank you soooo much for noticing. _________(hubby's name) and I are so much HAPPIER now!" Then CHANGE THE SUBJECT to let her know that the topic is not up for discussion!

I completely understand why you are enraged!!! I would be too! She is being intrusive, she has been disloyal (as has been your husband), and even though your drinking has been out of control, it IS NOT the only issue that has needed to be addressed (okay, here comes the shrink!). But nothing is more satisfying than being mature when everyone else is not and watching them squirm for a change!!! :rollin

If you handle things right, you can get to watch them squirm, instead of you! Yippee! (The evil twin of the mature shrink has emerged!!!!!:evil )

Love,
                Kathy

Comment

Re: I just read all your responses 3 times!

Thank you, everyone! I'm really needing to work this out, and I'm not sure how long it will take. It's like every time she walks into the room or the caller ID shows her name, I tense up. We used to be quite close.
                  To give you more of a history, she is divorced 2x and my hubby and her are extremely close. She went through hell with both husbands. First one left her for another woman, second one was just an a** and verging abusive. Her sons are her LIFE. My kids are her LIFE. I fit into there somehow too... She and I even vacationed together alone!! Boston and Maine a couple times. Cool lady, really. Athletic, partier, etc.
                  She's got some annoying habits, but don't we all?:lol

ANYHOW, this just really sucks. All along, if I would have a hangover or get too drunk and we would talk about it, she would have a solution. "All you have to do is drink water in between. Just slow down and you will be fine. It isn't a race, Becca...." and the FAMOUS LINE (and she is the only person who really says this to me

"WELL, I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM, SO IT'S HARD FOR ME TO SAY"
                  (usually said with one hand held on hip, slightly tilted to one side...)

Jools, if you just threw your computer out the window, I'll help purchase you a new one>: :
                  It is INFURIATING really. The good intentions that are just hot hot buttons for me.

To answer your question, Kathy, she did know about the shenanigans with hubby, but HE told her HIS version which went something like "oh, I've been talking to a woman. Becca didn't know and she found out so she's a tad upset". It got to the point where I said that he had to tell her and his family before I did, because no one could figure out why I couldn't get out of bed for 3 weeks..........
                  "OH, Becca had to give up wine. She must be sad"

So, this is where I'm at!! Drinking thing going much better. Marriage is truly going much better. Physical health, much better. Wore a bikini today and did not look like a complete bloated larda** whoo hoo!!! Haven't worn a 2pc in 4 yrs whoo hoo again!!!!!!!!
                  workin thru, workin thru.
                  I just simply do not think things can be the same. The trust and the blind faith that she would support me regardless is gone, gone, gone and I feel stupid. I'll be nice, I love her still, but it's really really difficult to even pretend to not be cringing and sneaking up behind her with with the bucket of tar and bag of feathers:evil

Thanks, guys.
                  Bec

Comment

Tawny

I'll follow your advice! I wiill could use it starting today...

Brandy

Comment

Mothers-In-Law

Becca, You have helped and supported me a number of times and I don't know if I can be of any help to you as the MIL thing is a raw, sore thing with me.

If only to let you know, as those posts from others will, you are definately not alone in having to deal with the condition Thorn In The Side, commonly known as The Mother-In-Law.

One day, as somebody else also mentioned, I will write my story of life with the MIL who has manipulated, dominated and controlled my life for 10 years but in the last few months I feel I have taken back a lot of the power I had handed over to her and it feels good. I've a way to go but the more I speak up to her, the more I say no or the more I just plain ignore her, the stronger I get, and, I feel, the more powerless she gets. Rightly or wrongly, I enjoy the picture in my head I get, after I have stood up for myself, of her wriggling about in a puddle like a moth with no wings.

I have had to see a counsellor because of her - and that was okay but was a bit of a joke as the counsellor was a very young guy who just interjected my story of the situation with gasps of "awesome" or "wow" or "how manipulative" and then "do you take sugar in your coffee" then "awsome", "wow", "how manipulative" etc etc.

But the real joke is that my Mother-In-Law was in fact a counsellor herself HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

No offence to any counsellors on this board because I am very much aware that most of you do a great job and help many people. BUT the irony here is that my MIL is a complete Fruitbat!!!!!!!!!! She over-analysis EVERYONE she meets, debates things (irrationally) with everyone, even if it's whether a coffee is too white or not. She quotes things all the time from the many weird books she reads - she lives alone in almost complete isolation, apart from us. She talks to flies, birds and everything that she sees is always A SIGN!

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on, this was supposed to be for another day .....

Anyway, Becca, you be strong and hang on to all the power you can!!!!
                      XXX

Comment

Hi becca,
                        So sorry about your MIL, she is not being supportive! She is being condescending:evil
                        Keep on bragging about how well you an hubby are getting along and how you are both so in loovvvve.....................that will get up her nose and when her caller id comes up on the phone don't answer it! You don't need this sh1t right now and don't let her get to you!
                        I loved my MIL and we were so close but then I divorced her son and things do change (you loose half your family!)
                        You are hurt right now because of the realisation of how shallow her love really is (except for sons & grandkids).
                        If she keeps on bringing up how you overeacted....give it to her straight, she was cheated on once and knows the feeling of betrayal (though I am not sure she will accept it was her son that did it).
                        You be strong and don't let smaller minded & hearted people get to you, you deserve so much more
                        Love Shas

Comment

Pansy,

Here's my two dumb cents, but I'd rather say or not. You have incredible insight as to what life has delt you.

Soo... I think you have an awesome perspective. And if you had not lived the life you have, then you would not have the heart to help.

You are on the fastrak to help others, and I commend you!Pansy!

Comment

I just wrote a huge long thing and got knocked off; In a nutshell screw her. Let your hubby deal with her, it's his fault she even knows and he outed you which was wrong- he was a big baby for doing that because he knew she would forgive him for anything he may have been doing wrong. I know what it feels like to get outed but not to family.

If she makes you uncomfortable let her handle it because he caused it unless you've got something to say. Maybe it'll blow over since you guys seem to be working things out, the greatest revenge would be that anyway.

Allie, let your MIL get fat at Bob Evans by herself.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
                            :rollin

Comment

Thanks again, everyone.
                              Annie, you sound like you have a DOOZIE over there!!!!!

I'm just going to have to take each encounter as they come, I guess. Just know we will never be "buddies" like we were before, and I feel almost embarassed for allowing myself to get so close. I am using this opportunity to become closer to my own mom (we were already close, but she was always worried about my drinking... my dad drinks like me, or rather I drank like him!!). She has shown UNCONDITIONAL support and love, so I don't have to go floundering around with people who apparently don't know me as well as I thought they did:rolleyes .

And YES, I will keep letting the in laws know that hubby and I are doing better than ever and working out all the bumps! He's actually been very loving lately and I attribute most of that to me being strong enough to finally start tackling my demons. (with a little help, of course )

Love,
                              Becca

Comment

Working...
                              X