Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No help at the doctors

Hi All
    I have been bumming around here for a few months - hoping the penny would drop knowing I'm not the only one struggling etc, getting loads of good advice from everyone.
    This last month has been unbearable for me - I have been drinking in the morning at the weekends, whenever I have the excuse during the week - pretty much all the time.
    There have been numerous rows with my partner & whether we can save our relationship needs time to see.
    I made the step yesterday & went to see my doctor to admit just how bad things have got - I stayed in bed all Sunday topping up a glass of vodka.
    He has reffered me to a local alcohol team & I'm waiting on hearing if they can offer me support. According to him there is nothing he can prescribe as I need to want to do it for myself & no "magic pill" as he describes will do that for me.
    I am off work and looked up AA meetings today & may go later - I've been years back & found the culture hard to get to grips with - the 90 meeting in 90 days - having to say I will never be normal again. I find this sort of attitide depressing. But I need to do something.

Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to use this as tool & any advice etc is greatly welcomed. I really feel at the end of my tether - I'm 33 & slowly turning into a drinker who is going to lose my job, house etc. Imust do something to stop that.

Much love
    Nattie

No help at the doctors

Hi Nattie, could you perhaps buy the meds here at MWO. Lots of people here say they work with helping with cravings etc. If you are desperate to talk to someone, you could always ring the Alcohol help-line too. I did that several times when i was feeling so isolated and alone. they really helped me. And maybe, try and talk to your partner? Could he help? We are here for you too. Bella xxx

Comment

No help at the doctors

hi nattie, i know what you mean, on 26th i got appointment, with drug an alcohol team, im hoping an praying they will sort me out, i think u will find they r bit more supportive, my dr mentioned librium for a detox but wanted me to c the team 1st, persevere with the team an keep nagging, dont give up,

every 1 here swears by the supp s its just a case of going af for a bit b4 taking them (i think) shame ur dr sound s so un sympathetic, is there another dr u could c, that s more sympathetic, i hope u c the team, im going an im gonna keep nagging, take care honey, dont give up, xxxx
      if you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got!

Comment

No help at the doctors

thanks Bella & tryinghard - I really appreciate your advice. I had bought the supps but from Holland & Barrat, and from some of the stuff I've read I don't think they are the same strength/make up. I'll look into if I can afford to order them here - our finances are in tatters as I have let everything slide.
        I read the book but I suppose I took so much from the fact RJ was able to moderate I didn't consider I may not be able to.
        I am just back in the house & picked up a message from the alcohol team, my doctors is still over where Iused to live with my parents & I have never got around to changing. It's different bouroughs though so I've called my local one to say he has reffered me & can I switch it to them rather than one I may not be able to get to. Am just waiting for them to answer the phone.

Irishlady put a good though in my head when I had PM'd her before and said try to think what is going through your head before you pick up a drink. I done that today when I went out & I think in the bottom of my heart I am so scared I will fail & I feel quite far enough the path of it being a big problem I am so worried where my life will end up if I can't get to grips with it.

thanks for listening.

xx

Comment

No help at the doctors

Hi Nattie,
          Sorry you are having such a bad time at the moment.
          Re the supps. I bought Kudzu from Holland & Barrett, made me feel really groggy and did not really help. Now have supps from Unique Natural Aphrodisiacs & Herbal Remedies exclusively by Pleasure Roots which are basis of Kudzu roots and other things combined, don't feel so groggy and do feel they help with limiting the cravings, but a good PMA and willpower are still needed; no magical cure, so I have found out!
          Thinking of you.
          Butterfly

Comment

No help at the doctors

thank Butterfly - I will take a look.
            Call back from the alcohol team was ok but because my doctor is outside their borough they cannot help me - she suggested another place & maybe a planned detox through my doctor when I can get time off. I really need to change my doctor I think & this might be a lot easier for me to get help if I do.

Nattie
            x

Comment

No help at the doctors

Hi Nattie,
              Sorry your having a bad time, I'm taking the supps and they do help. I also went to AA, and like you found it difficult, although I did get a lot of support from them, I found it
              difficult sitting and listening to the repetitive stories also the idea that their way is the only way. Your GP does sound unhelpful, it's easy to change to another one. You have your
              whole life ahead of you, and there is lots of help out there. Have you tried drinkline?
              freephone no page 3 of phone book.
              Best of luck Paula. x

Comment

No help at the doctors

Getting help

Hi Nattie

I think you need to try to stay positive and don't worry about whether it won't work at the moment. Stay in the moment. And at the moment you are doing everything you can do to
                improve your situation.You should feel really good about that. so try taking it one step at a time.

I think AA is good for some things. The literature is useful, for example. Like they offer books about staying sober.And attending meetings helps keep you on track and provides a lot of support. I don't believe in many aspects of the philosophy, however, some of which you mentioned.

Adagirl has written a lot about naltrexone and how helpful it is. Campral also sounds very promising. Looks to me like there are some good medications out there. If things get really bad for me, I would take medication. I don't agree with your doctor's opinion against medication and urge you to get another doctor.

There are discount outlets for supplements. If you can't afford these, try to make sure your diet is very balanced and you get all the minerals and vitamins you need in food.

Maybe you could go in the meantime to AA but look for other support groups? One of the other members mentioned SMART. I have not done this, but the program looks interesting. I found out they had groups in my area. You can take medication with it. And they don't advocate the powerless, disease-based model. They offer face to face meetings, which I think can be helpful.

I looked up SMART in the UK and found this website
                SMART Recovery UK - Self Management and Recovery Training

You also might want to ask doctor or do some interest research about alternative support groups for women alcoholics that are not 12-step based. I know they have offered them in some UK cities. I don't know where you are based.

Take care Nattie!!! It's not the end of the world.

Comment

No help at the doctors

(((((Nattie!))))))) The advice offered here sounds very good to me. I spent many years trapped in the cycle of daily drinking, daily knowing I needed to do something about it (ummm, QUIT), telling myself by "noon somewhere" I would start tomorrow, then repeat.

You CAN change this Nattie. I agree with others - you have to really want it. If you want it bad enough, you can utilize whatever resources are available to you to improve your situation.

I encourage you to be proactive. You mention budget limitations. I know that can make things difficult. Can you look through your budget and find ways to cut back here and there so you can purchase the tools you need? I don't know about you, but I was spending way more money per month on booze than what the monthly supplements cost bought right here. I don't know your exact circumstances but maybe it's worth a closer look?

I agree with others - sounds like a good time to change doctors.

Best wishes to you Nattie. Please try to pull yourself up by the bootstraps, and just for today do something positive to help yourself address this problem. Research resources that might be available locally, review your budget one more time, try to start formulating a plan.

More hugs,

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

No help at the doctors

Nattie, I was in your shoes when I was 32/33. I had hit rock bottom hard. I almost lost everything. I would find another doctor. If your doctor is unwilling to help you and think you can do this on your own, then find another. A little effort goes a long way. My doctor at the time referred me to a detox facility but there was a minimum of a 6 month wait! So I drank harder than ever before. My life was a mess. I found another doctor who was willing to work with me. I ended up pregnant, so I quit anyway. I did resume drinking again after her birth, but that is a whole different story. My point is find someone who can help you. There is no magic solution to this, but there are good doctor's out there that can steer you in the right direction. Don't ever give up!

Comment

No help at the doctors

(((Nattie)))

All the others have given great advice. I just want to say, you can do anything if you want to hard enuf. And you will definitely get a lot of understanding and support here.:l

Comment

No help at the doctors

thanks for all that great advice - I think I must change my doctor - I have a history of depression & suicide & here in the UK healthcare is all based on funding I suppose I was always thinking my new doctor wouldn't want to take me on with my problems.
                        I have looked up an AA meeting for Thursday evening - I must go back to work tomorow or I think I'll lose my job(too many sick Mondays on my record) so for the moment I have that in my sight. I'll give it another shot even though I found it not very helpful last time....but that was 6 years ago,maybe things have changed a bit. Thank you Nancy, after this I am going to research SMART, I appreciate you including the link.

xx

Comment

No help at the doctors

just keep your chin up, u will b ok, there r ways of doing this, neither of us have found how but u will, i ll keep u posted how i go on 26 th, c what they come up with, an yes go to work, it s to easy to give up an despair,, come on we ll do it, xxxx
                          if you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got!

Comment

No help at the doctors

Hi Nattie

Sometimes I think about certain posts and members during the day and your and your message stuck with me today.

I was thinking that you seem to think really badly of yourself right now and that might be a problem in itself. I have said this to other people and say it to myself, you need to be a good friend to yourself no matter how bad it gets. you have a problem and your life is a mess right now but that doesn't mean you are inherently a bad person. I think that if you think too badly of yourself it makes change more difficult.

I also have struggled quite a lot with depression. since finding this site, I have been educated in what excess alcohol and poor nutrition do to your mental health. try reading up about that on the research and reading parts of this site.

Another member recommended a book called Feeling Good by David Burns and I bought it. It has already made an impact on my thinking. It's based on cognitive behavior therapy and it's good for people who have negative self dialogue. I think a real live therapist who does this therapy is probably better but the book is good too. It hels you identify negative self thinking and combat it.

Hope you get back to work ok. jobs provide much needed stability.

Comment

No help at the doctors

Hi Nattie,

I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that you landed in a really good place. There is not much I can add to the good advice you have already gotten. It does seem that our folks from the UK have a much harder time getting appropriate and timely treatment - so much run around. Maybe if you posted again as UK person needs support, you might get even more attention from folks who have had to deal within that system. I know it is not easy, but the UK folks here are great and always helpful. I know there are lots more UK folks besides Bella and Tryingsohard. It is so hard to see how difficult it can be for our UK buddies to get in for help, but maybe there are more helpful tips.

I wish you the best of success. This program works well and you will get lots of support here. Come on and read the boards, post a lot, and you will find that things can get better - and pretty fast too!

Hugs,
                              Pansy

Comment

Working...
                              X