Is there ANY HOPE for PMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never used to have it until this perimenopause age. Now...period comes every 22-26 days and I cannot get enough junk food a few days prior. The Topa is surely helping but I can tell, that even with the Topa I would like to eat and drink more during these days. ANd not healthy food either. I want my popcorn and string cheese and chips and Chardonnay.

Maggie

I made a post about this a while back. I REALLY notice myself wanting to ramp up salty foods and drinking around that time. I think what we are really craving is sugar but for us drinkers that comes in the form of alcohol. I find that if I eat something sweet I do not want wine as much. Now if there was cure for the anger/moodiness that comes along that time my husband would be a happy man!!!

Comment

Dear Maggie,

I had well over ten years of no coffee, alcohol, cigarettes, sugar etc doing that "clean mom" thing. Tell you what, even back then, there were two days of the month I would have a drink. Mind you one drink each night as there was this tension. The day directly before and the first day of my period.

I had that same 22-26 then it progressed to more often and longer, heavier etc. this doesn't always happen to eveyone. Don't freak Maggie, but do go to the doctor to make sure you are perfectly fine and it is just a hormonal thing. Long and the short of it is 3 years ago I had a hysterectomy for fibroids. I got to keep my ovaries and darn it all, I can still tell you exactly the day before I would have had it and what would be the first day. There is just this tension! I have always loved salty with my alcohol (sugar) This week in fact, I opened two quite sweet oranges and some salted soy nuts. :hat Better than smoking and drinking all evening!

Doymojo, I had three boys to men in the house and just used to say, nobody should pick on me and tease me about now - because I am in a super ugly mood - so back off! :evil

Good Luck on this. I am 51 and they figure it is going on for quite awhile longer. I feel so special - how about you girls?!

Hugs,
      Mary

Comment

NO.
        The answer is no. No hope.
        Maggie, I wish we lived closer cuz we could keep a little hidden fridge in the bushes behind our homes with all of the essentials. Those are the EXACTLY the essentials I crave!!
        But you forgot about the frozen egg rolls. I must have those. (not in frozen form, of course, warmed up)
        I just launched into one of my sililoques about not feeling very appreciated, and wanting to express some of my concerns about my new roles with hubby's new job and my "new self" and he fires back with "OH here we go... I think it's the PMS and the wine talking"
        I was angry.........BUT (whisper..... I think it was the PMS talking) but not the wine. I WAS pissed about that comment. He reverts back to blaming lots on my drinking too much every now and then... then quick apologizes. It's like he had a quick excuse for everything before!
        I digress.

PMS sucks, AND I believe I've been more emotional on my periods since I've started the topa. (sorry to the men who had to read this)
        Bec

Comment

Some of the SSRI antidepressants can help with PMS. I don't know if you take them just in the days leading up to your period or at subclinical doses for depression but it might be worth looking into. PMS can be a serious problem and it is very reasonable to seek help for it and not suffer unnecessarily! I've never suffered with it myself and went through an early menopause. The topa, extra-strength estroven, and the evening primrose oil have done wonders to control the crankiness and hot flashes that go along with that wonderful part of being a woman!!:eek

Love to all!
          Kathy

Comment

sorry about the no hope thing I feel bad now. I was speaking for myself! Beeeeaaatch every month and I even try to forsee it so I get no sneak attack and then.... BAM! Guess I just empathize. Get advice from the more wise people on the boards!! and from your doc, maybe. I'll just be like a sis you can crank to

Comment

Give me chocolate or give me death.

I have found the PMS uglies have eased SOMEWHAT since I toned down the booze.

I'm still ready to kill at the drop of a stupid comment.

BUT - in a NICE way.

Helen

Comment

I agree with everything you just said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rollin

Comment

:rollin

Thanks everyone! While I was at computer last night my son (11) was asking how I could possibly be eating HIS Cheese-It's? I said "Because I want to, and don't ever argue with a woman with PMS." He says "what's that?" I said "Pre menstrual syndrome." He says "Oh" and walked away. The boy is learning!

Maggie

Comment

Helen,

Isn't that "Give me chocolate, or I'll give YOU death?":rollin

Comment

:rollin

I don't get bad PMS I don't think???but my actual periods since I had my child are so bad I may as well be having a chikd every f-ing month and they are so painful. And I wake up every mornning and the bed is full of blood. Sorry I know gross. My husband is a very tolerant man. I should wear a damn diaper. Sorry to all the men on here, the things they have to tolerate sometimes my goodness.

Comment

Why, yes, Kathy. That is much more like it.

Helen

Comment

I have a T-shirt that has a woman holding up a gun, and it says,

"Give me all your chocolate, and nobody gets hurt!"

My thoughts exactly... but at that time of the month, I really need one with a woman with a gun in one hand, a bottle of red wine in the other...:rollin

Bein a woman is just a lovely thang!!!!

Allie

Comment

I just saw a card the other day that was sooo funny considering my serious "topa-dopa" that relates to this subject...I laughed so hard I almost cried...

Said:

You know you're having a bad day when you find your tampon behind your ear and you have no idea where your pencil is.

My 12 yr old son said HUH???? Nevermind....child...go away...

PMS must be my issue today. :x I feel all crampy and tired. I just had some chicken with my salt for lunch and trying to get focused.:|

Comment

Good one, Hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X