Giving up smoking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up smoking.

In the past I have tried to give up smoking, but haven't been able to.
    I always knew it was bad for me, but never really cared that much.
    Now I am on day 26 of abs, and I'm starting to realise that smoking triggers my drinking.
    Every time I get a really bad craving I have a cig in my hand.
    Why is that?
    So now, I'm going to try and quit to protect my sobriety and my lungs.
    Does anybody who's quit smoking before have any advice?

XOXOXO
    Meg :smokin

Giving up smoking.

Geez Meg,

I sure wish I did have some advice because I am in the same boat as you are! I quit smoking for ten years and I must say starting again has been one of the stupidest things I have ever done. When I quit the first time I chewed a whole lot of mint gum, drank a ton of ice water, and did situps every time I had a craving. That is what I am planning on doing this time. I don't know if this will help you (or me for that matter) or not but I thought I would throw it out here.

There are, as I am sure you are aware, a ton of help aids available for smokers to aid you in your efforts. Best of luck to you and let me know how it goes!

Donna

Comment

Giving up smoking.

I'm in the same boat Meg. I quit for 5 years, but started again probably 10 years ago. I know I need to quit again, but getting the alcohol under control is a higher priority for me right now. Let us know how it goes.

Marcie

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Well I am still drinking but I have quit smoking for years now.
        I used Zyban to help me and a lot of determination. I could only tolerate the drugs for a couple of weeks but it got me over the hump. I did as well drink a lot of water and excerise helped. Good luck it is one of the best things I ever did. Now if I could pooch the wine I would be perfect!

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Please quit smoking. I finally quit 10 years ago after many failed attempts. I used the patch but found the most relief and satisfaction with the nicotine gum. Really got hooked on the stuff. After a month I didn't wan't a cigarette, just the gum. It's amazing how society judges smokers. Probably the same way it judges alcoholics, with disdain. Finally went cold turkey on the gum and really glad I beat the adddiction.

I can't stand to be around the smell of smoke anymore.

I guess the only two things left to give up for me are red meat and caffene.

Dug

Comment

Giving up smoking.

I quit 3 years ago Meg, using a program called Smokenders (Smokenders.com is their website). I had a 25 year habit and was determined to quit so I wanted to get help and do it right once & for all. I didn't want to go through the hell of quitting and starting back & quitting & starting again over & over. Everyone has a different experience, but to me it was much more painless than I thought it would be, and I was under a lot of stress at the time too, and still drinking!

So just like with the MWO program, I used the tools they gave me to help me quit when I was ready. I'll never regret it, and when I think of how long I smoked and how LITTLE enjoyment I got out of it, how could I? Good luck getting this behind you Meg!

Deirdre

Comment

Giving up smoking.

I managed six months, but started again because it was sooo nice. At the time I used the spray and ate a lot of very hot chili for that natural high. But I also talked a lot online at www.quitnet.org - you need support in quitting an addiction and this site really helped me at the time. It's also very active. Good luck.

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Re: Re: Giving up smoking.

I'd like to quit too. I've been smoking for 34 years.
                Has anyone ever tried laser? I've heard a bit about it, but don't know much. I've tried everything else.
                Helen

Comment

Giving up smoking.

I'm a smoker also...have been for 20 years! I quit when I was preg. but always knew that I would start back up again once my babies where born. I tried the patch...didn't work for me! However it did work for my Husband....Why does it seem that men have will power like an OX! I lasted 3 days on the patch and that was it! I could not take it any longer!

I have noticed that with the topa I smoke alot less and that it. I have been thinking about Zyban...and have checked out the website Quitnet.com! I believe someone said here once that Zyban is compatible with Topa? Correct? and that Zyban will also help with depression...I am thinking of calling my Doctor!

Does anyone know if these two drugs are okay together and how is Zyban for Quit Smoking?

Thanks and good luck to us all....I, like alot of us, always associate the two (smoking+drinking)

Best Wishes,
                  ~Tammie

ps (edit): This is funny(wierd funny) that this is brought up now! I have very seriously been thinking very, very hard about quiting for the last month...I do believe the two go hand in hand!

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Tammie,
                    I was on zyban to quit smoking a few years ago. It did work, but I guess I was not ready at that point to quit so I didn't put a lot of effort into it. I don't know about the reaction with Topa, maybe someone else has info on that.

Marcie

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Marcie,

Was it white knuckling the whole time, pulling out the hair kind of thing or just semi awful? ----:b

Tammie

Comment

Giving up smoking.

It actually wasn't too bad from what I remember. The hard part was getting past the habit, just like drinking. The zyban helped with the nicotine cravings.

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Thanks Marcie for your reply!
                          I have been so ready for this...it is funny that this was brought up now! I do believe they both go hand in hand....before I thought that I had to wait until I got my drinking under control! Well I did get my drinking under control for 2 plus months...then MY own moderation got out of wack AGAIN! Plus Minnesota got that horrible cig tax....stupidly expensive plus what it is doing to my health !

So this Summer..I am hopeing to get a WHOLE new ME!
                          Thanks again,
                          ~Tammie

Anyone know of the Drug Interactions? I would just like to know before I call my Doctor....

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Re: Re: Giving up smoking

Zyban works. With no willpower, I went down to 9 a day. I didn't have the power to stop, so I quit Zyban.

Comment

Giving up smoking.

Why Is It So Hard?!

I've been trying for the past 4 or 5 days now to give up or at least cut down on my smoking (going a pack a day for 9 years)But I just can't seem to do it! It's almost harder than quitting drinking! (almost, not quite, but almost...)
                              everyone's been talking about zyban? Is it a stop smoking aid?

XOXO
                              Meg

Comment

Working...
                              X