"Mothers and Drinking" on the Oprah Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday, did anybody have an opportunity to catch the Oprah show. Three women different backgrounds and alcohol.

The first women 2 children, I don't remember if there was a father or not. She hit rock bottom. 30 day rehab program, and before she left, signed a contract with her parents(who were in the audience) that if she ever drank again they would sue for custody of her kids and take her house from her.

Second women repeatedly drinking and driving. The end for her was when she went out driving drunk with her 5 yr. old, caused a 15 car accident, arrested, DUI and alot of people to face. There were two of the people in the audience, one a bus driver and a man who had his 1 yr. old son in the car.

The third women, was a business women that said she realized she drank too much for years. Her hubby was in recovery almost 20 yrs. She stated that once she made up her mind to quit, she did. Of course with the support of her hubby. Oprah showed concern for her. There is more to recovery than the women was showing interest for.

I thought it was so close to home for many of us here, especially those of us with families. We have been around the same corners in different ways before we came to MWO.

Brandy

I would never sign something giving over the custody of my child(ren) or the title to my house if I had another drink. This is the kind of drama on Oprah/Dr. Phil that I hate--it makes my blood boil. I don't know how badly off this woman is, of course, since I didn't see the show, but it seems to play into the "'m an alcoholic, therefore I'm bad" thing. Also that the ONLY solution is absolute sobriety.

Other arrangements can and should be made to care for children if a mother cannot take care of them, but this "solution" seems to be punitive and humiliating to me. Just my two cents.>: My very irritated two cents.

Kathy

Comment

I think I would sign a very very very long piece of paper that would give the kids to my parents until I hadn't drank and/or moderated for a certain period of time. For the sake of my kids I would give them up for a while until I could get myself to a place where I could take care of them and they wouldn't be basket cases. I don't think judge would go for the moderation thing thought in this legal system so I would do whatever necessary to get them back.

I don't know what this woman's rock bottom was so I can't speak to what she could have done next (like kill someone in a car or let her kids be beaten by a boyfriend or who knows what) but I agree with Kathy that the Oprah/Dr Phil (they may as well be the same show all the time at this point) has turned into nothing but a Lifetime movie of the week. They suck. sorry

Comment

I saw that when it first aired in 04 and it made me sick. I was totally comparing myself with her. She really was so much worse off than me and it made me feel better about myself but sick for her. But....That was very dangerous for drinkers like me that watched that show.

There are probably many more woman that binge drink like I did and could go a few days in btwn. And I never drank in the morning. I also never drank before dinner. Or when I knew I had to drive around my kids. So naturally, I didn't have a problem...in my mind WRONG!!!

I was having functional blackouts. That's just as bad as drinking 12 beers a day.

I don't believe in REHAB. For the simple reason that I have a great friend 25 years that went 3 times and the first 2 she was released when the money ran out. The third time she went after 2 weeks they said "Well, you have to leave tomorrow bacause your insurance is up." She said to them "If I leave tomorrow I will drink tomorrow. I'm not ready. I need to stay 30 days." no deal.....She had to get the money from family. She was able to complete the program and has been sober for 3 years now. I asked her what was so special about REHAB. She said they just make you go to meetings all day from 6 am-11 pm and beat it through your head that you can NEVER pick up a drink again for the rest of your life and they don't stop til you get it.

I hated that many think rehab is the only way...maybe it is what late stage alcoholics need but not everyone.

Oprah needs to learn about MWO!

Comment

Thanks ladies:

I wanted to put it out there to see what you guys thought. I don't usually watch Phil or Oprah, because they step into the lime light and cover topics that I think the research does not touch the surface as indepth as it should. Recovery is not done over night or in a day. It took us years to come to the crossroads of recovery and moderating or abstinence and continued sobriety.

But on the other hand, struggling with recovery like everybody else here, I am always open to hear and see how others are coping with the daily struggle of alcohol. (Never know when I can learn something new).

Hugs!
          Brandy

Comment

Maybe we should write Oprah!

RJ could be a guest on her show and talk about MWO!

Comment

Re: Maybe we should write Oprah!

No! Me! Me! Maybe I'll get a car!!

Comment

No - MEEEEE. I want a make-over.

Tawny

Comment

I'll make you over for free. Then give you a ride in my car.
                  How's that?
                  Huh?

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I want in! what do I get???

Comment

Maybe we could all go to her place and "do lunch".
                        I hear she does that sort of thing.
                        Maybe we could discuss books and be all intelligent - and stuff.

Comment

I wanna go too!!! Maybe she has a hummock too!!:lol

Comment

Hope
                            You make me laugh about the hummock - too funny! :rollin

Comment

Maybe we could discuss RJ's book!

Comment

Working...
                              X