Candida Yeast problems anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been familiar at least somewhat with Candida yeast problems for many years. I've been an off and on low carber, and Dr. Atkins discussed this problem at least a little bit in all of his books going way back. My life style in general has certainly put me in a high risk category. Then last December, I was on a very potent dose of antibiotics for 3 weeks to treat cellulitis. A vaginal yeast infection occured within a few days of being on that antibiotic, and not 7 months later, I am still having trouble with recurring vaginal yeast infections along with some other symptoms.

I did a search here and read the past information. I have also been searching other internet sites. I am hoping to come up with a good plan - without the involvement of an MD - at least to start. (similar insurance issues to Topa, etc.)

I'm wondering if others here have fought the Candida problem and won. What approach did you take...etc. etc.

Thanks!!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

is it candida albicans? people who are addicted to alcohol and sugars are likely to also have this type of candida. The book seven weeks to sobriety offers a lot of info on this subject.
    Joan Mathews Larson is the person who wrote the book.
    I know that too many antibiotics can make it worse.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Thanks Trixie. Yep, that's it. I have 7 Weeks and have only read part of the book - when I found MWO this was "it" for me so I haven't yet "read on" in some of my other books. Thanks for letting me know there is some good info there that I hadn't come to yet. That gives me a great place to start and some bed time reading tonight. (I lead such an exciting life!)

Thanks!
      DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

woof! well I'm no doc but have read a bit on this from Atkins et al. Are you taking any "good" cultures such as those in yougurt? also olive leaf is supposed to be great for booting out the candida. and definately low "bad" carbs. I think we all are fighting some degree of this intestinal invasion and should be mindfull of it.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi DG,

In my recent research I came across a web site which seems to be put together by a guy called Robert Harrison. He makes no claim to be a doctor but a researcher who has put together a wealth of information in user-friendly terms - it's certainly very readable. He has a whole section on yeast problems and Candida and mentions a new wonder drug from Japan that has only recently been approved for use in the States. (When I read an earlier article by him he was not allowed to include any of the actual names of drugs or products as he legally couldn't be seen to promote them - that seems to have changed now as he's obviously promoting and supplying this now.) Anyway, try the site which is and then follow the link (Yeast Infections). I can't vouch for any of it but it might be worth researching a little more to see if his claims are valid...

Good luck!
          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
          Goals:
          Days 1-7 DONE
          Days 8-14 DONE
          Days 15-21 DONE
          30 days DONE
          60 days
          100 days

Comment

Deter, I'm not yet taking any probiotics but I have a couple things on order. One is the product sold here at MWO. I should have been taking something all along for years considering my lifestyle. Since I wasn't smart enough for that, I at least should have started taking something when i was on the heavy antibiotics last December - I knew enough about Candida to know that was potentially a BIG problem. Stupid me. Now that I'm brushing up on my reading, and seeking more details, you are right that most of us SHOULD be on the lookout. For me, between the alcohol, the last few years of NOT low carb eating, the nicotine (didn't realize until the last couple days that nicotine or more precisely, toxins that are added to cigarettes in the manufacturing process are contributors as well), the coffee, jeez.

Arial, thanks a lot for that web link. I will check that out today before the dog training crowd arrives. Sounds interesting. Part of the trouble I've been having with web searches is that there must be 3659467594 distributors of threelac - and their sites all make claims that sound like snake oil salesmen to me. So finding anything that even MIGHT be good info has been daunting, at least for me.

Thanks for helping with your feedback!!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggy, its a big problem since alcohol turns to sugar in the system, and its double whammy if you have been on antibiotics in even the past 3 yrs....interestingly enough, L-glut., and Caprylic Acid...a supplement, help get it back in balance, plus a supp. like Det. said, we use a pharm. grade probios called Ortho Biotic by Ortho Molecular.....(if ya'll can't find this stuff, just holler at me)....I cut out everything "white" when I got the cancer deal, and haven't had it since....I'd recommend getting a Black and Decker rice cooker, and get some organic brown basmati rice, make with low sodium chicken broth, add some porcini mushroom oil and some flax seeds, and slivered almonds and let 'er rip....eat it with whatever, it has a low glycemic index and keeps ya from feeling deprived....lol....just remember, don't spend tons of $$$ on supp's that don't have enough mg's to do ya good, or are of a high molecular rate and you just "poop" 'em out....that goes for your money too...lol....
              "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Pau'D arco & Probiotics

Hi DG

The above worked for me - a really good probiotic capsule and some Pau-D Arco capsules or the tea (also known as Taheebo) It has anitbiotic, antifungal, antibacterial & anti inflammatory properties, would be good to be on for six months or so.

Hope you are well,

T xx
                :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Thanks Tah and Tough (and those who posted previously!) for your feedback. Rather than wait for stuff on order that is probably crap anyway, I bought a couple things at the health food store yesterday. The gal who helped me select products at the store seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to the many web sites with all the grandious claims, what seem like REALLY high prices....snake oil sounding to me.

To help get rid of the overgrowth, I am now taking this Nutraceutical.com / Product Information It contains Caprylic acid which I've read about, Pau-D Arco, Grapefruit Seed extract , Tea Tree oil (have seen that mentioned too) and a few other things. Opinions? (wish I had seen your posts before I went to the store but oh well!!! Ready, fire, aim is the story of my life LOL)

I am also taking a probiotic now. She recommended a "high power" one until I get things balanced out. From a cost perspective she said a more moderate one (number of strains and live count) would work going forward once I'm in the clear. Here is what I am taking for that. Nutraceutical.com / Product Information Opinions? The recommended dose on the package is 2 capsules per day. She suggested doubling that for about 4 - 5 days to give things a kick start since I have so much history of what kills the good stuff, and haven't been putting any at all back in.

I think you all for taking the time to help me out with good advice!! Thanks in advance for any opinions you have about these products and/or the ingredients of these products.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

All sounds pretty good to me doggy - give it a go!

Good luck
                    :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                    Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Hi DG

Cut out products that contain yeast and sugar. Also you may benefit from getting a blood test done to rule out any food intolerances. I went on the South Beach diet where I cut out wheat products for 2 weeks. Anyway I got fed up of it after 1 week, but when I went to eat wheat, it made me bloat and I found that I couldn't stomach it. I'm ok now but the fact that you are on and off the Atkins diet may be a reason for candida.

Comment

you will feel sick at first...

DG... as you "starve" the yeast you will feel more sick at first (I know you do not want to hear that) but that will lift -- but because your approach has been a bit gradual and also you have really put together a great tool kit you may not feel this-- especially since you are almost 3 weeks AF!!!! Yay for you!!!!!

Lotus has a good point about food intolerances... wheat is a biggie for alot of folks... I think in a previous post I mentioned an "elimination diet" this is recommended so that you eliminatre all foods that are high in sugar/yeast or very refined... as you reintroduce them 1 by 1 your body will tell you if it can tolerate the food. Keep a food journal -- I found that dairy was terrible for me so I have been drinking soy for 8 years now -- I do love chess (and pizza) but I was able to give up many other foods -- I am happy to say that since that experience I have not had any weight problems (I used to always be a size 10 and stuggle to keep that size) but since eliminating certain foods I now stay a size 6. And, I no longer crave food -- wine? that is a different story -- and it is the biggest no no!!!! I am working on it...

Love your posts and get infused with your energy every time I read! My pug loves your avatar (he thinks he's a big dog!) Liz

Comment

Thanks Tah and Lotus and SC for your continued feedback. I'm learning more and more - but I have to say that advice and input from "real" people who have dealt with this means a lot - especially in the quagmire of possible snake oil salesman sites. I will update from time to time how things are going. This is only the second full day of the new stuff.

I bought a book that I started reading yesterday - I'm about a 1/3 of the way through it. Chronic Candidiasis by Michael T. Murray who is a Natural Medicine doctor. It's well worth $11.16 at Amazon in my opinion. The information is consistent with the piece parts I've learned here, and in various places over the internet. He cites tons of studies and references validating his approach. I'm looking forward to finishing the book and seeing what adaptations might seem appropriate.

On food - I know that I have food sensitivites to grains (wheat for sure) and sugar and others. That on top of alcohol and other not so great life style choices and wreaked havoc. I'm on Day 5 or 6 (funny, I never loose count of smoke free and alcohol free days!) of low carbing with NO cheats. What I do need to fine tune is eliminating "yeast problem" foods even though technically they are low carb. Examples include vinegar (I did get some raw vinegar - haven't tried it yet), dairy (i.e. sour cream), cheeses, etc. I'm workin' on that. Whatever it takes to reduce the size of this Butt Billboard (copyright AlmostFamous) and FEEL better inside and out.

Thanks again for your support and help. This community is awesome on so many different levels.

OH and SC...Kimba in my avatar would probably LOVE your pug. She loves our Beagle a little bit too much.

DG
                          Day 16 AF
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi again. For the benefit of anyone else who might be researching the yeast issue, WholeApproach.com - Natural Candida Treatment ? Systemic Yeast Infection and Candida Diet Recipes, Forums and Products is a website I found very interesting. Just wanted to share that for whatever it's worth.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi all, I lived in Houston for 6 years and really had issues way back when before natural sups were ever even thought of. A girlfriend of mine recommended just plain old acidophilus and I started on it. Took it the whole time I lived there and never had another yeast infection. Went off of it when I moved out of the area and had the infections flare up again and went back on it again - would really double up on the dosage to get the stuff under control once again in Dallas. Moved back upstate NY and managed to stay on it. It seemed not only did I avoid the yeast infections but I stayed healthier. I was off the stuff for about the last year and a half and didn't really have yeast problems but horrible sinus problems/ear infections. Recently went back on it and am getting those problems under control so am sticking quite regularly to the schedule. The girl who had initially recommended in 1980 made a comment that most problems start in your intestines and since that's where the acidophilus works it counteracts the bad stuff and after 27 years of hit and miss, I tend to agree with her cause I'm usually h ealthier when I'm on it.

DG - love the quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X