Thinking good thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking good thoughts

First post in this forum, but I wanted to share an encouraging experience.

I was lying in bed last night, trying to go to sleep, and getting resentful at various people and situations. It occurred to me that this did me or the world no good whatsoever, and perhaps I should willfully think good things. Like how fortunate I am in many regards, like how I actually love what I do for a living even if I don't make a lot of money.

I fell asleep cheerfully thinking about the next job I have to do.

I do not want to sound trite here, I know its not easy. But I think we have choices in what we think. Not total control, but enough to certainly influence our frame of mind.

If you all are like me at all, you've had some pretty dark, dark thoughts. Try to change channels. I'm trying to get in the habit of 'catching' myself thinking dark thoughts, then switch to something better.

Like how beautiful my puppy is. How nice the weather is FINALLY. How much better I'm feeling not drinking, and how much happier are those I love. Something good.

We all have plenty to concentrate on that will make us feel bad. When I feel really bad, drinking, anesthisizing myself seems like a viable option. When I feel good, I don't really want to anesthesize myself.

just an idea, my 2 cents for today.

Greg

Thinking good thoughts

Hi Greg,

You've just done a good job of using some cognitive/behavioral techniques on yourself!!! congratulations!
    I tend to be pretty psychodynamic (childhood experiences and all that stuff), but it really is true, that we can change our whole day by focusing on the positive!

Well done!

Hugs,
    Kathy

Comment

Thinking good thoughts

Greg,
      Very good thoughts for the rest of us to think about.

Marcie

Comment

Thinking good thoughts

Beautiful job, Uglyhat. Reminded me of something a friend sent just recently:

users.gazinter.net/melan/Warn/Warnenu.htm

Keep up those positive thoughts. :-)

RJ

Comment

Thinking good thoughts

We do have choices about how we react to situations!
          I have to be reminded that ALL THE TIME because I'm so damn sensitive and tend to let negative things get the best of me. (grrrrrrrr) I will always remember my high school guidance counsellor saying "Now, no one can MAKE you feel anything. You CHOOSE to react that way." It's a toughie, and more complicated than that we know!!!, but certainly something to think about.

You reminded me for today! I like the "change channel" thing.
          Thanks, Greg!
          Becca

Comment

Thinking good thoughts

EVERYONE....INCREDIBLE WEBSITE RJ ...THANK YOU!!!!!

users.gazinter.net/melan/Warn/Warnenu.htm

QUITE A GIFT!!! HAD NOT SEEN THIS ONE.

LET US SEND TO ALL OF OUR FRIENDS...

SEEMS I APPRECIATE & LEARN FROM MWO MORE EACH DAY...SEEMS A GIFT FROM GOD

Comment

Thinking good thoughts

Re:Thinking good thoughts

This is so true, and for people who drink or take substances to make this better really only make it worse reinforcing the negative thought process.I have realised this,since exploring this topic in greater depth and am trying this THERAPY on a regular(permanent basis at the moment) and little by little it is having some effect.Well done for sharing it.
              C

Comment

Thinking good thoughts

Re: Re:Thinking good thoughts

That website is great.... already emailing it on, thankyou.

Comment

Thinking good thoughts

Re: Re:Thinking good thoughts

Wonderful webite, RJ! We do have to remember how fortunate we are! Next time I am thinking about my troubles, I will have to remember that I am fortunate to have these PARTICULAR troubles!

Hugs to all!
                  Kathy

Comment

Working...
                  X