question for everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question for everyone

Hey guys. Ive posted about this but curious if anyone else notices it. ive been having drinking problems for about five years. i also have been on ssris for about five years. recently, i came off of zoloft. about a month ago. i suddently can go out and drink slow, and seem to have more control over it versus getting sloppy stumbly drunk... its only been a month and i dont know if its a coincidence or not... anyone know if ssri's may worsen alcohol problems? or anyone have the same experience>:new:

question for everyone

I am sorry I don't know, but could you ask the doctor who prescribes them.

Diamond
    I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
    I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

question for everyone

Sorry, can't help you either, but glad to hear things are moving in the right direction! Hopefully someone else coming along will have more input...
      Best wishes,
      :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
      Goals:
      Days 1-7 DONE
      Days 8-14 DONE
      Days 15-21 DONE
      30 days DONE
      60 days
      100 days

Comment

question for everyone

When I was on Paxil I drank more than ever - turned to Vodka actually. I don't know if I can blame it all on the Paxil, but I have heard this happening to others as well. The Paxil brought me up and the alcohol brought me down.

Just know whatever you are taking it won't work unless you are not drinking. It is very hard on your liver as well.

Comment

question for everyone

There was actually a thread on the boards awhile ago that talked about how certain medications increase the desire to drink. A lot of the antidepressants and antianxiety Rx's do that. I will have to try and remember where I saw it.
          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

question for everyone

There are studies that show SSRIs increase the desire for alcohol, esp., in those people who have a tendency towards drinking. Being on Paxil was when my drinking was at its highest.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

question for everyone

I don't know either but it makes sense. Will be interested in reading if Beaches can find it.

Comment

question for everyone

yes, have had that experience. the SSRIs tend to make you more jittery, so it is natural that you need more alcohol to calm you down. (Often with SSRIs you will also be prescribed sedatives or sleeping pills) -- the ironic part is the more you drink, the less the SSRIs work, so it all makes no good sense.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

question for everyone

Lexapro

I have often wondered the same!! I have been on Lexapro for 22 months, my drinking has increased in the last 18 months or so!! When I initially started the Lexapro I did not drink at all (I used to have maybe 1 to 2 glasses A WEEK!!) When I was seeing the Dr once, I asked him if I could have a glass of wine every now & the - well of course you can he tells me - go & live a normal life (so, it's his fault - LOL)... I do believe there is a link with ad's and the drink, well, for me anyway.

Day 2 Af today
                  :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                  Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

question for everyone

If you scroll through the Topamax etc thread and choose some of the entries that have Depression as a title you will see a lot of people talking about their experiences. Hope this helps and I am still trying to find that website.
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

question for everyone

prozac made me drink more...

... it has been identified in many studies... I am now on Lexapro (just transistioned from Effexor) I am a nightmare!!!!

Comment

question for everyone

I absolutely had the same issues..especially on lexapro...the worst....but on wellbutrin as well...would love to see the thread too...am off it all now as well as 47 days AF so am taking some time to see how it feels just being me...we will see......

Comment

question for everyone

well except i am on 100 mg topa.....it rocks....buckle

Comment

question for everyone

keep us updated...

Buckledown I am certain that I am niot the only one who will be curious of your progress (if you feel comfortable sharing ofcourse ... I don't mean to be intrusive) just curious? And also looking for answers

Comment

question for everyone

This is a good one: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ntidepressants

Comment

Working...
                              X