FYI - Dr. PHil CBS 8 EDT Wed 5/24 - Escaping Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw a news blurb about alcoholic parents and escaping addiction. I'm going to try to catch it - already feel bad enough for my actions in the past, and my daughter is grown, but I have a feeling even Dr. Phil (who I don't particularly care for) may have some interesting material in this. Anyone else?
    Rock

Hi Rock:

Did you see Dr. Phil's special on "Escaping Addiction"? It was a real eye opener and I could relate to some of the things the woman went through. I could not help but feel sorry for her more then her husband because here she is home 24/7 with 3 children, one of whom is disabled. Did she have any relief? Was her husband always gone? By the looks of where they were living, it appeared that they were living comfortably! Anybody else see it and how did you feel about it?

Comment

Dr. Phil

I am still trying to figure out what I thought about it. I think they both need serious help and he did even more dangerous things and blacked out more. He would come home drunk and trip over his sons ventilator tubes THAT HE NEEDS TO BREATHE and would not know it??? He would grab his daughter and take her into the bath with him and then pass out?? The whole show left me with a pit in my stomach, mainly because I know a couple exactly like them and they have four kids. They have done some really scary things as well and so I am going to show her the show and see if it makes an impact. I have to admit that after seeing it I realized I am nowhere as bad as I thought I was (although I am pretty bad) and I am grateful I married a nondrinker. I pray that if they both cannot stay sober that at least one of them will. Those poor children........anyone else see it?

Comment

Re: Dr. Phil

This is why I don't like him - the couples are always rich and it is always very had to feel sorry for them -

and they went to a rehab in FIJI and she's grabbing people's butts on the plane on the way to his show? Sorry not buying it. He's full of crap.
        And his son is now producing the show. He's a kid. Please.

Comment

I agree

I liked him when he was on Oprah but now he is just a big pompous ass whose cliches make me mental. And she obviously needs way more than a 30 day rehab if she can blackout and be that disgusting when drunk, although again sounds EXACTLY like my "friend" who I need to show it to.

Comment

Re: I agree

I don't care for Doctor Phil either, I think he is "really phony"! It just bothered me that the emphasis seemed to be mostly put on the woman! I don't think the whole truth was out for the husband!!!

Comment

I agree

And did you know he has NEVER in his life had a drop of alcohol? He really does not understand what any of us are dealing with. Sometimes the urge/anxiety/craving/whatever is so overwhelming. It sure is easy for someone like him to say, "just don't do it."

Comment

He never had a drop of alcohol in his LIFE? What planet

did HE come from? I think of all you make good points. I was glad I never got that bad that I had to go to rehab - although if I continued on I surely would have. I felt like the woman was abused and that probably contributes to her problem, but then they say she also struck him, etc. When he called her all those names ... I was married to a nondrinking man like that for many years and it really does pound down your self-esteem.

The guy - I think he had serious problems and the show really felt like a cliff hanger, you know? There should have been another hour to explain "whatever happened?"

Well, it was an eye opener and I'm just grateful that I never had to deal with what she is dealing with, with a handicapped child, two other small children ... grr. I could have become HER instead of a working woman.

Comment

Re: I agree

Wow -
                  Its interesting to hear everyone's perspectives. I have to admit I do enjoy watching him most of the time, but do not always agree with everything he says. The show was very disturbing, and it made me realize how bad you can get, but I'm grateful I am no where NEAR that and havent been. But I do realize it is progressive. I did also feel that he focused on her as "worse" because of her relapse. I wonder how many times he relapsed after he had broken his wife's cheek with a hairbrush, fallen through the shower door and passed out, almost suffocated his daughter in his sleep passed out, and tripped over his disabled son's breathing tubes which could have KILLED him, but she was made to be so awful because she was grabbing butts and breasts on an airplane? Mind you -- I dont condone that in any way, but it sounds more like "bar" behavior, and at least she didnt pull guns, threaten lives or break peoples bones. Her husband almost killed people on numerous occasions, but her behavior was just embarrasing and rude. I think there's a big difference. Anyhow... my husband was kind of disgusted that they didnt get the same treatment.

I watched one of his shows last week on this mother who was terribly abusing her children. He interviewed the kids separately and the little girl was so afraid to even talk for fear of getting beaten when she got home after the show, and Dr. Phil sent these kids home with them and promised immediate therapy? My husband and I were so angry. I cant believe social services wasnt yanking these kids out of there. It was so horrible I could hardly watch the hidden camera of what she did. I felt Dr. Phil really took it lightly.

Anyway... he has great advise a lot of times, but seems to keep the really bad cases in the same category as the meddling mother-in-laws.

Allie

Comment

Meddling Mother-in-Laws ........

Now that's a thread in itself!!!

I have a bucketful or two of stories there ..........

Comment

Re: Meddling Mother-in-Laws ........

Then tip the bucket just a bit Annie! This isnt a personal thing like abs or moderators, just how we personally viewed an alcoholic couple and Dr. Phil's handling of it. I personally dont think it was ALL bad by any means. It just seemed unbalanced. I watched his show yesterday (which now is day before yesterday) which was a follow up on the Story of "Brandon" (which I never saw the other episodes) but apparently it was one of the most captivating stories he ever did. It was about a 21 y/o and his addiction with drugs, his intervention/ confrontation initially on Dr. Phil, his follow up, success, relapse, success, relapse, etc. It was interesting, and I thought what Dr. Phil had to say to this kid in this situation was really, really good. So I was expecting the same for the alcohol addiction show.

Anyhow... just thoughts.

Comment

I really do helps his show helps some people, but to me he has become nothing but a franchise, a spinoff of of Oprah (who I a, sad to say I used to love a long time ago when she was a genuine person), Now he's gotten his whole family in om his bs. His wife is in his audience every episode (puke-sorry) and now the hot kid is involved (forget about the opther one he ain't hot enough he'll be behind the scenes). And now hearing he sent those terrified kids home makes me sick. I hate him and I will never watch him again. He's a sham. He's gpt a goddam bok for every problem he's allegedley never had. AND, he's done NO reasearch into alternative therapy for alcoholism because he's a money machine and a wimp.

"And how's that workin for you all"" please

Ugh!!! >: :evil

Comment

Pardon me for diversifying!:eek

Comment

I agree Dr. Phil is a money making machine, and I would of also liked to see him continue with a second part on this couple!

I don't think sending a couple to rehab for 30 days cuts it! It's a much longer process then that!!!!

Comment

Oprah

And don't even get me started on Oprah. Did anyone see her greed-fest the other night, The Legends Ball?? Diamond earrings for all of those rich people as a parting gift? Ridiculous. Think of what that money could have done. I used to be her biggest fan but she has gotten so outspoken about how wealthy she is and it just irritates the hell out of me. Yes, I know she does A LOT of good for people in the world but there is something to be said about being humble. And she just signed a book deal for 12 MILLION dollars to talk about WEIGHT LOSS!!!!??! Give me a friggin break. She cannot keep the weight off whenever she loses it. That would be like me writing a book about how to quit drinking wine and never crave it again in three easy steps. I must say I still really love her magazine though. I will not step off my soap box...................

Comment

Working...
                              X