Why do I give in to peer pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a 38 year old women with 3 children and I am still giving in to peer pressure. I don't want to do a lot of the things I do and I always feel that they will get mad if I don't party with them. When will I learn to not care what others think?

I am so mad at myself right now.
    Here we go again.

AL FREE since Saturday the 14th of March 2009

We all are a product of peer pressure, but, think-- Do you really think they care so much whether or not you party with them.

Try to think about what your children will think instead of what your peers will think.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I understand what you are feeling but TRY not to beat yourself up, you are a nice person. I would suggest to try to make up every excuse to avoid doing things that involve heavy drinking with these people. If these so called "friends" will get mad at you because you are making a choice to better yourself, well then they really aren't your friends.

Hope this helps : )
      AF Since May 2nd 2012

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I just feel that I am ruining someones time if I don't go with the flow. I need to not care what others think. I remember reading somewhere on these boards about wanting to feel connected. I think that may have a lot to do with it. But I am too old to be living this way. My kids are fine they were busy doing there own things when we were drinking. So, I know it didn't hurt them outside of being out a little late. I sure wish I could take some things back in my life.
        Here we go again.

Comment

Hi Paranoid,
          My friends use to do that to me to, so i stopped going out then i became depressed because i was not going out, so what i use to do was pretend i was drinking a alcoholic drink when i wasnt no one knew, and they left me alone, and i still had fun, and you dont feel the pressure of being a party pooper.
          cheers chill
          ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

Comment

Hi paranoid
            At 38 there should be no "peer pressure" you are fully grown and can make your own choices. Our friends usually mean no harm in trying to get us to drink but in all honesty there should be no "pressure" so to speak. Save that for the kids. Just say no thank you and be firm about it. I'm sure they will accept it even if they tease you a bit.

Hugs
            K
            Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
            April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
            wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
            wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
            wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
            wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
            wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
            wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
            http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

I know I felt silly just writing about feeling peer pressured. I think it is more that I don't want to look like the prude or the no fun girl. Anyway you are correct I need to grow up.
              Here we go again.

Comment

Working...
              X