Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The role of boredom

Hi Gang,

I don't know about anyone else but for me, boredom plays a big role in the desire to drink. At night, when I'm too tired to do more productive things but TV stinks, thoughts turn to wine. Where did I ever get the idea that wine is an evening's entertainment?

When I was younger, I could read at night, write, or paint or do lots of things. Now I'm dragged out by then. I tried knitting to keep my hands busy but that hurt my neck (I have a problem neck). And besides, it was boring too.

Does anyone else have this problem. Suggestions>?

Ned

The role of boredom

I get bored too. I'm part of the problem, not the solution!:rollin

Kathy

Comment

The role of boredom

Yup I can compeletely relate. This is somthing I have expressed to people many times. I come home from work, and even if there is "good" tv on, I sit there, butterfiles in my stomach, not knowing what to do with myself, and drinking helps alleviate that anxiety/boredom. And the scary part is that I hardly ever feel like doing much else! I have gotten better since becoming involved in this program but I absokutely still have that anxiety and bredom as well. Any suggestions anyone?

Comment

The role of boredom

I wish I had suggestions, that's part of my problem as well. I try cleaning or studying, but nothing takes the place of my love(wine). I guess it's just a matter of time.

Marcie

Comment

The role of boredom

boredom

DITTO for me - this past weekend was a killer and I did not do well at all.

Comment

The role of boredom

Re: boredom

I think that is why we are all here, because we are bored with are lives, ourselves!

For me it is during the day..when my family is away and I am home alone! Sure I have laundry and house work to do, but what fun is that? None!

I try and go for walks. That lasts for 45 minutes then I still come home to a empty house...it gets old!

We all need to find what makes us click the OFF SWITCH!

I am hoping and praying that summer home with my kids (13 & 11) turns my switch off...otherwise with the two of them "knowing EVERYTHING" it will be a very long summer!:eek

Good luck to all of us!
            ~Tammie

:eek

Comment

The role of boredom

Well with the days getting verry niiiccce & long now, and the weather getting pretty and sunny (finally!) :lol It's light out till about 9 o pm now. Gotta love that! Guess I'm pretty blessed to live in a place with a lot of options for outdoor activities, beachcombing, kayaking,hiking, fishing, whale watching, golfing(if your're into that...Hubby is), birdwatching, agate hunting, tidepooling, horseback riding, clamming, or even people watching! Sometimes that can be quite amusing! Especially if ya have a warped sense of humor! Oh forgot to mention Surffing (definately need a wetsuit in the ocean here!) But I can surf the wake behind the big Jet boats in my kayak! The river's much warmer than the ocean here! Pretty Fun!!:rollin

I do get bored when it rains & rains & rains all winter though! that's when I turn into a worka holic!

Comment

The role of boredom

Judie,
                you are a lucky lady...
                Hubby and son #1 just left for the mall... son #2 upstairs taking a nap, it's raining out... I'm sitting under a blanket watching the screen saver on the tv.... do dee do...
                yes fridge??? what?? OK, I'll be right there.....
                JOKING
                a-hem...
                I think....

Comment

The role of boredom

Yes I am !! Very Lucky! Probably even more so than I know! I just added a little bit to "My Story" from wayyy back when I started on here... We have come A lonnnggg way Baby! Hugs, Judie

Comment

The role of boredom

Judie,

It all sounds lovely in your neck of the woods. We have our share of outdoor stuff here too, but I have lots of arthritis and physical pain. At this point, the only exercise I can do is in the pool. I do belong to a club with a lovely pool, indoor and outdoor. Now that summer is here, I will get myself over there more often. One thing I have not succumbed to: ordering drinks by the pool!

During the day I have no problem keeping busy and enjoying it. It's the evenings when the wine calls. As I said, I used to have the energy to do all kind of things at night. I need something that's not too taxing. But keeps me interested. I tried needlepoint but that didn't do it either. My eyes get tired because, as a writer, I'm on the computer a lot. My eyes don't want to do much after 6 O'clock. I tried listening to language tapes, hoping (ha!) to learn Italian. I've been to Italy once and hope to go again. The tapes put me to sleep.

Ok, girls, there must be something fun to do at night?

Ned

Comment

The role of boredom

Hi everyone!

Weather and boredom play a big part and winter is very tough. And it rained all last weekend, which made it real easy to not care about how much I was drinking. Now that I really think about it I drink more in the winter than the summer. Way to hot in the summer for one thing and since winters here seem so bloody long its real hard to waste one day thats warm and sunny inside hung over.

kitkat

Comment

The role of boredom

Bored with the EXHAUSTION that comes from what I MUST do over and over again ever day that is not fun ! Wine is my reward. My sancuary for performing those multiple multiple tasks. I get my manicure. I occasionally get a pedicure (in the summer). I lunch with friends rarely. I have no husband. My boyfriend lives 1800 miles away. My former boyfriend was my HS sweetheart who dumped me twice now and that's why I started drinking too much 3 years ago anyway. Wine is my sanctuary. Am I really bored? I have TOO MUCH TO DO! I want relief! So yes and no to boredom. :eek

Maggie

Comment

The role of boredom

Hi Ivy.
                          In summer, I garden until I drop.
                          Winter is harder. I hook rugs, shoot trap, shoot pictures, read, cook, and make whatever interests me.
                          I often take a course on something. A couple of years ago, it was welding. LOVED IT. Gets me out and doing stuff.
                          My daughter drags me out tobogganing and building snowmen.
                          My husband wiggles his eyebrows at me. Nudge nudge wink wink.
                          Anyone else?
                          Helen

Comment

The role of boredom

boredom

Grrrrrrrh! I just wrote a long post and it disappeared!

Helen,

Thanks for reminding me about taking courses. I used to do that a lot, often in the evenings. Taking photography, doing darkroom three nights a week, I lost 20 lbs without even realizing. (those wine calories missing!) Getting through the evenings is the hard part. My problem now is that I have a lot of arthritis pain and get tired at night. I should push my butt and sign up. I'm thinking about it.

Ned

Comment

The role of boredom

my idea of fun...

Okay, this is going to sound very childish, but my kids tell me I am still a big kid at heart in many ways -- one in that I LOVE being silly.

So I stumbled across a "new addiction" that only works at night. I was at the mall with my daughter shopping, and we split up. I wanted to go in Spencer's and buy one of those laser lights for my lab, as she loves to chase things, and quite frankly I get tired of having to throw tennis balls four times a day for her. So a friend of mine has this laser light and she will shine it all over her floor and both her lab and her cat go nuts chasing it. I was thoroughly entertained...

So I bought one for my lab, Luci. Well guess what? Luci could care a less! She looked at the light moving on the floor, then back at me like..."Am I supposed to be impressed?" Well, my cat absolutely loves it. So I take it with me everywhere I go, and LOVE to sit out on my back patio at night, as I can see a long way and there is a jogging trail that runs behind my house. Well after it gets dark, I will go out there and when I see people jogging, I will often do that little light on the sidewalk in front of them, and it totally freaks people out!:lol

I will especially do it if they have a dog... I have more than once had other people's dogs who go NUTS and start going after it, and their owners are totally confused...:b

I even went out around the neighborhood one night with my daughter and her friend (they are 15) and we were shining this thing around and hiding behind trees... it was a blast! Now my obsession is taking it to restaurants... I have gotten to be very good with it.. I love shining it for "little blips" on someone's table, or on the menu while they are reading it, and they look all around the room and everyone is acting normal...:hat

So there you have it. My daughter and I snatch it back and forth from each other, and now my husband will sometimes say... "give me that thing... you see that guy over there.... watch his face..."

Okay, so I'm nuts, but I have had many a drink-free night when I got totally sidetracked with my laser light!

Allie

Comment

Working...
                              X