A Half Life of Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Half Life of Drinking

I'm 50. I began drinking regularly at around 25. Over all these years it's been more or less the same -- a couple vodkas (Skyy most often), or maybe a gin, with an olive or two, before dinner, red wine, or maybe just the third or fourth vodka/gin, or occasionally white wine, with dinner (just "table wine," usually around $10 for a 1.5 liter bottle, for either the red or white), and then a couple more whatever after dinner. In the past year or so, my tolerance has lessened for the after-dinner swigging. Maybe on one or two Saturdays and Sundays per month I'll have 2-4 bloody marys or screwdrivers in the late morning. When I was younger, on some Saturday nights, I would get plastered, particularly when wanting sex.

Most of this time I've lived alone. I drink to alleviate the solitude. To break up the monotony of an unmedicated internal mind that is too much with itself.

I also smoke pot; typically about a joint a day, during the daytime mostly. It's much easier on the system than booze. Although I've only had two breaks from drinking, each a few weeks, I've had numerous pot breaks, some as long as six months. I experimented with hallucinogens and cocaine when I was younger, but they never became part of my life. I'm gay, and from about age 25 to 40, used poppers (amyl nitrate) too much. Prescription drugs, except for a sleeping pill about once a week, are not on the agenda.

I eat well and I exercise. I'm about 15-20 pounds overweight, because of the drinking, I think. Until I hit my mid-to-late 30s, my weight stayed perfect, and I never thought about it. About two years ago I developed rosacea, and my nose is now pretty red. From what I know, drinking doesn't cause it, but it doesn't help it either.

Drinking has never caused any big problems in my life. Never drove anyone way because of drinking; never lost a job because of it.

I've never been able to identify with anything at all about AA. The cultishness, the higher power stuff, the equation of booze with Satan....

I've had a reputation almost all my adult life for being difficult. I nearly got expelled from one graduate program because I couldn't fit in, and have been fired from a number of jobs because of my "attitude."

I'm a horrible underachiever. Was a brain as a kid, and am overloaded with graduate education, but until 2004, never earned more than $40K. Now I write business reports. I go into a small office a mile from my home, and the work is pretty solitary, except for phone calls to people for info about the reports I write. This year I'll probably make about $65K, and my parents will gift me another $10K-$15K. I have no savings to speak of, only what should be a big inheritance from money my parents accumulated in their later years from land mined for natural resources..... if I manage to outlive my mother.

I rent a nice house in a good neighborhood in a large central Florida city. The yard is well-landscaped, and it requires a lot of work to keep it going. I've been here a year, and am just starting a second roommate. It's somewhat for the money, but as much for the companionship. This one, like the first, is a much younger guy. I'll probably buy something in the first half of 2007, but doubtfully this house or one as nice.

I grew up in a smaller Florida city, but have lived everywhere as an adult -- New York, Washington, San Francisco, New Orleans, Caracas, and that's only about half of it. I'm pretty much a green/Marxist/leftist/atheist.

When I was in my 20s and living in New York and working out every day, I had lots of sex with gym guys and models. I did odd jobs there; newsroom assistant, documentary video center administrator, taxi driver, waiter. When I lived in Washington, I worked as a business journalist for 9 years, much of it freelance.

I've always thought that if I found love or a work/political/ artistic passion, I would be so preoccupied that I wouldn't habitually drink. But it hasn't happened. The only time I feel less of a want to drink is when I'm visiting my parents or nephews. I sometimes think, though, I drink because this world is so @#%$ up and dying that it's become impossible for someone like me to find happiness without altering my state of mind.

I know next to nothing about this program. I just found the website yesterday. But I tend to doubt that a pill a day can override 25 years of behavior.

I'm not even sure that I want to stop drinking. The main reasons for it are my weight and the rosacea (my personal beauty). But I have so little hope of meeting another gay man past 40 with whom I could click, and in the past year I've pretty much wound up intercourse with pretty young things. I think something like male menopause has set in, and while in a general sense my attractiveness still matters, I've stopped thinking of being "alluring."

Well, there's pretty much who I am. If anyone would like to share him/herself with me and talk about drinking, here I am.

A Half Life of Drinking

Hi

(This message was left blank)

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

Welcome Raphael,
      If you download the book or order it from Amazon, etc. It is helpfull. This site helped me realize I am not the only person with a respectable career and home life with a drinking problem. There are many people around like us. I would encourage you to get to know people on this board, you have more in common with us than you think.

Marcie

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

Hey Raphael,

Thank you for opening up and really telling us about yourself. I really appreciate your honesty. I can appreciate the fact that you really aren't sure at this point whether you want to give up drinking or not, even if you know it is a problem. Life is pretty hard these days, not just the shape of the world, but the fact that we realize that we are limited in how much we can really do about it! We are just so much more aware of our limitations as we age, and then we look in the mirror, and what we see bears no resemblance to how we feel, either! Part of the reason that I chose my name, Young At Heart, is that I turned 50 two days before I found this site. I'm 50, divorced, not many guys my age look that great to me(or appeal to me mentally for that matter)--I'm not sure I look all that great to them either:eek . So I can relate to what you're saying. As for being difficult, well, I'm sure my ex-husband and ex-fiance would have lots to say on that topic!

You can start up some e-mail relationships right here on this site by clicking on the user names of people who have posted whose posts you like and correspond by e-mail here. If you get to liking each other, then you can exchange e-mail addresses. Perhaps some other people may have already e-mailed you since you courageously put up your address on this thread.

At any rate, I wanted to acknowledge this post, because I know I was hard on you the other day. Thanks for sharing about yourself. I extend my sincere welcome to you. If you read the posts, you'll get to know me along the way. I'd write more about me, but I'm just about pooped this evening. If you haven't already, maybe you'll join chat tonight. Just click on join chat on the upper left of the page, and you should just get right in!

Again, welcome!

Kathy

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

Hi Raphael,

Welcome, hope you don't mind my saying hello here. I can relate to the desire to drink, I don't really want to completely quit, I just want to stop using so much of it to escape.

I agree that I don't believe a pill every day will change my meager 10 years but, I think only a real desire for change can do that, meds and vitamins just make it a little easier. I think alot of people come here, like me because they know something needs to change, whether that means being more moderate or stopping all together. I don't know yet where I fall, I am fairly new. But I need to stop for now. Good luck with what ever you decide. I look forward to your posts.

kitkat

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

Wow, Raphael ... what a wonderful, powerful post! Thank you.

I need some time to work on a worthwhile reply. In the meantime, I'll ezbox you - just to show you that you can have private conversations within this group. (Ezbox is found upper rhside of screen - you should see (1NEW)

Thanks for sharing.

Tawny

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

All these stories sound so familiar. I'm 47 and been abusing alcohol for 20 years. In fact, I probably have not gone a day without a drink in this time except for a three week period when I quit and started going to AA. Emotionally I felt no better so I went back to my routine. I know all the stuff about visiting different liquor stores, planning different routes home. Popping out to the "hardware store" on weekends and all that life of evasion. This would have carried until I died or faced it head on. Happily my wife confronted me this weekend and I've done it. I know she's been wanting to do it for some time, but I've been avoiding the day. I won't be following this programme, but going into three week rehab on Sunday. Just need to decide where. I don't think there's any middle road for me - it's either or. Currently I'm on a bottle of vodka a day, starting about 12:00. Good luck to all of you. I'll probably be popping back after then to share support.

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

I didnt say I dont have things in common with people here. I dont know. No one seems to have any kind of profile about who they are.

I really dont know anything about "the book."

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

Many people have posted under "MY STORY" Raphael, if you want to learn more about different people. Not everyone has written their stories, though, I never have even though I;ve been here for a bit. We just get to know each other a bit at a time.

Kathy

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

Hi Raphael,

In your last post you indicated that you didn't know about
                    "the book." This program, called My Way Out, is presented in a book form. This book can be ordered through Amazon or downloaded in pdf form from the website. The book is informational, generally woven into the narratives of people
                    implementing the program. The program involves a) vitamin, herbal, and amino acid supplementation, b) hypnosis CDs that can be used to assist in the process, c) possible medication (Topamax which can be prescribed for those who are still drinking and Campral, for those who have already acheived some degree of abstension) and d) moderate exercise.

I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the various aspects of the program. A previous poster suggested that you would find you had a lot in common with many on this board. That post was intended to welcome you to the board - not to imply some hidden meaning in your earlier, brave post. It sounds like you are struggling with many of the same issues frequently discussed on the boards.

I agree with Kathy that your statement regarding lack of clarity on whether or not you even want to stop drinking is particulary honest. It's also an issue many of us struggle with. At the moment, I am abstaining (41 days), but can't imagine never having a drink again!

Another book you may find useful, if you are into supplementation, is "7 Weeks to Sobriety." This book is very detailed but has good information. MWO is easier and more simple to implement, but 7 Weeks has more background information on the chemical effects of alcohol on the body.

Good luck Raphael, come back, read the boards ...
                    Pansy

Comment

A Half Life of Drinking

Raphael;

Thanks for being here. Every time someone new comes into MWO, believe it or not you teach us something that we realize we have in common with every newbie that joins us. I've been following some of your posts, and I truly say, Welcome to the Family.

Brandy

Comment

Working...
                      X