So do workouts really help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! Haven't made the big change yet (to moderate- have had no motivation) but I am getting in the mindset! Just wondering how much the workouts help you too feel and how it affects your want for drinking. Thanks in advance!!!!!

w7

They help me A LOT because:

Makes me feel strong and good about myself

I see fabulous bodies @ the gym and know I will never have one if I continue to drink like a fish

Occupies my time

It does not mean I do not want to drink but if I went to the gym that day, I have less drinking hours available.

I will be interested to hear what others have to say. I think it is a critical ingredient to success. I bet Java Runner Girl has some wise words on this topic.

Comment

Pope-Duck is right...

I'm no athlete however the 3 hard workouts I get per week are immensly important to me. Exercising causes the glandular (including brain) functions to come alive and you WILL feel a wonderful transformation both in the short and long term.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Yep - absolutely agree with all said - the endorphin high from exercise makes me feel so good about myself / strong / fit that it makes me want to drink less.

Dont want to spoil that good self image as it were.

Satori
        xxx
        "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Hi there

I,m no athlete but love to walk..it helps me to think clearly and its good to have time away from the daily noise and appreciate nature.

its also another discipline..so that makes me feel good..If I promise myself to walk each evening or monday and i achieve 5 out of 7 then i,m good with that!!(never could do perfection!!)

So i think its great to work rest and play...still trying daily to moderate and stick with 2 nights drinking a couple of wines...messed up slightly last night had 2 small wines watching a dvd..all is not lost as at leat i stopped at 2!!!

good luck and go do the work out...Cassy

Comment

My regimen of cross-training workouts has been absolutely essential in my quest to become sober.

I can honestly say, many many times, during those first few months, that an almost "self-punishment" workout was all that stood between me, and a relapse into gross drunkeness.

I'm not an athlete, nor do I have any illusions that I ever will be. However, I can outperform over 90% of people my age now (51) in a great number of things.

Even today, I was trying to pull a couple of shopping carts apart, and a fellow about my age and size came up and said, "You pull on one, and I'll pull on the other to get them apart" So I tugged a bit, and the other guy just about fell over and his eyes got real big. They were stuck fast, jammed solid, but my muscular power has probably increased 100% in the last year and a half.

That alone makes this thing a motivation for me. I know 90% of guys my age, could not run 2 miles before collapsing. I went 4 last weekend.

It is the psychological, emotional, mental boost that the workouts give that allows me vastly increased strength to beat the booze devil. There just is no substitute for me. The physical power and endurance increases are just a extra-added benefit almost.

Neil

Comment

Yep,
              It does help to exercise. It helps with tension, and gives you a since of acomplishment. Not to mention it makes you fill strong. IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Neil, you are an inspiration...in many ways
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thank you all -very motivating!

Comment

I guess I still have "delusions" of being an athlete...:H
                    Coming up on the big 47! But I refuse to act my age!
                    Some joints are'nt what they used to be ... but some of me can still work-out...even if it kills me! LOL!
                    Just crank the tunes louder & paddle harder & faster!

Neil...I'll arm wrestle ya!
                    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

St. Jude:

Ha-ha! I am reminded of the mightiest arm wrestle match I ever saw in my life. It was probably 1971 or so, and I still remember. You will like this story.

I was in high school, and there were a brother and sister fraternal twins. They were both very big, muscular, and strong, and both were raised on a cattle ranch in the Texas Panhandle. Both tough as nails.

Anyway, one day in study hall in school, they got into an argument, and an arm wrestle match ensued. There were like 50 of us in that study hall, and the teacher had left for a while to go to the lounge or something. I never heard such loud cheering, or whatever at even a football game. Guys rooting for the guy, and girls rooting for the girl. It went on for almost 10 minutes I think, with both struggling, bright red faces, and everything. It was incredible.

Guess who won in the end? The sister did. Completely shattered my image of how things are. Still makes me laugh to this day.

Neil

Comment

Three great reasons to exercise

Couldn't agree more with everyone here. Exercise is so important. If you're really serious about getting well--and you must be if you're here--please don't overlook the importance of exercise.

Here are three reason why:

1) It curbs your craving

2) It lifts depression and anxiety

3) It'll grow back your brain cells

(I should probably add a 4th about shopping carts :H )

If you're new to exercise, be easy on yourself--and be realistic, too. Find something you like, add some variety, do it to music, make it fun. I posted something about my conservative exercise routine ages ago on the MWO blog
                        , you may want to take a read. It includes a couple of links with some really good resources.

No time like the present. Grab your shoes and get moving.

RJ
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Good thread! I am very impressed by RJ's article on growing back brain cells...wow!!! Looks like real scientific evidence there!

Comment

Exercise really contains my anxiety. And, as RJ points out, exercise helps one's alcohol or even alcohol/age beleagured brain (like mine). Now where did I put my husband?

:heart: E

Comment

O.K. guys............you all just shamed me into this............will drag out my power strider later today and take up cycling again as soon as I have the old bike repaired.

Anxiety and depression trouble me, so will give exercise a whirl to hopefully lift my mood and calm me. Add to that the fact that I`ve gained a whopping 40 lbs.(feel like a balloon LOL) in less than a year, and I guess I`d better get cracking.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Working...
                              X