Alcohol Withdrawal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol Withdrawal?

I experience so many different physical ailments on a daily basis, I never know what to think. I've suffered panic attacks and a lot of physical symptoms (to which there is no explanation for) since the age of 23, and now I'm 46. For instance, yesterday I felt very fatigued and weak, so I drank and I felt better by the end of the day. Then last night I awoke at 2:30 a.m. with a shooting/throbbing pain in my shoulder and tingling in my hand, which led me to believe I was having a heart attack, so I started drinking this morning around 10 a.m. Drinking is the only thing that eases my fears but, at this point, is alcohol withdrawal the reason I'm experiencing these symptoms? As I said, I've had these physical problems for a long time but I'm on a vicious cycle. Can any relate?

Alcohol Withdrawal?

I'm familiar with how I feel when withdrawing from alcohol... And it's never had anything to do with shoulder pain or tingling in my hand. I'm concerned, for you, especially if it's your left hand. I'm not a Doctor, but I've heard that, that could be a symptom of heart problems. Do you have anyone there with you? Or someone you can call?

For me alcohol withdrawl is more ,... just uncomfortable, anxiety, sweaty shakey... nausious..

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

You are not alone

Carol, I have similar problems. I am so completely anxiety ridden, and was even before I started heavy drinking, that every little twinge I feel in my body I am certain is some catastrophic illness. I then drink to help assuage those feelings. I do believe strongly, however, that if we were to not drink every day we would not be in this vicious cycle. While we think alcohol is helping, it really is exacerbating the problem, don't ya think? I am trying for moderation, drinking a little less each night, and then hoping to go 3-4 nights a week without any. Maybe you should try the same and see how it goes. Good luck! Molly

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Re: You are not alone

Hi Carol and all,

I've certainly woken in the night with vague aches and pains leading to worry, though nothing as strong as you describe. Is it crazy to ask if you have had a physical? I certainly understand drinking to relieve the anxiety, but I would sure be happy to see you also have a doctor visit to rule out heart problems, as well as bursitis, or some perhaps some muscular problem. It might be as simple as your having slept on it funny:

I know it is hard to cut down/stop drinking, but I am concerned about the vicious cycle you are in, particularly if you're not getting a doctor visit in there too!

All the best!
        Kathy

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Thanks to all of you for your replies. It really makes me feel so much better. Like I said, I've had various ailments for the last half of my life and have also had tons of testing, all with negative results. However, once you're 46, you really wonder whether your symptoms are real or not. My latest symptom of shortness of breath had been ongoing (on and off) for about 2 years and, although I consulted my physicians a few times, I had a pulmonary test, an EKG and echocardiogram in November, once again with negative results. I actually think I was hyperventilating without realizing it. Panic and anxiety, especially when it manifests itself in physical symptoms, is so hard to deal with and that's why I began abusing alcohol in the first place. I always enjoyed drinking, but drinking to excess only became a necessity due to fear. My body keeps playing tricks on me and although I've been to many doctors (therapists included), no one has seemed to be able to help me with my problem. Drinking was my only relief and now I fear that as much as anything else. I guess I just need to keep on going one day at a time. Thanks again for the support.

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Glad to hear you've been to a Doc. Hope yours is better than the ones here.... in "Hickville", USA! At least I was able to get topa, but thank God for these boards or I never would've figured out the correct way to start taking it!!
            Hang in there, I hope you start feeling better. Do you have the book? Sorry, if you mentioned that previously, I din't re-check your first mssg...:rolleyes

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Carol,

I feel for you. I agree with the others that you need a complete checkup which should ease your fears. Also make sure you have good nutrition. It's amazing the pains that poor nutrition can cause. Like low potassium can bring on a "charley horse" and lots of other things--when all you need to do is eat a banana.

If you were having a heart attack, drinking is the last thing that would help it. In fact, it woud be very dangerous. Do get that checkup and I hope it will allay your anxiety and let you take the first step here at MWO.

All the best, Ned

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Symptoms

Here are some symptoms of alcohol withdrawl

Mild-to-moderate psychological symptoms:
                Jumpiness or nervousness
                Shakiness
                Anxiety
                Irritability or easy excitability
                Rapid emotional changes
                Depression
                Fatigue
                Difficulty thinking clearly
                Bad dreams

Mild-to-moderate physical symptoms:
                Headache -- general, pulsating
                Sweating -- especially the palms of the hands or the face
                Nausea and vomiting
                Loss of appetite
                Insomnia (sleeping difficulty)
                Pallor
                Rapid heart rate
                Eye pupils enlarged(dilated pupils)
                Clammy skin
                Tremor of the hands
                Involuntary, abnormal movements of the eyelids

Severe symptoms:

Delirium tremens -- a state of confusion and visual hallucinations
                Agitation
                Fever
                Convulsions
                Black outs -- when the person forgets what happened during the drinking episode

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Re: Symptoms

Carol,

Have you seen a psychiatrist for medication for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder and/or panic disorder? They can be treated very successfully with some of the SSRI antidepressant medications for some people.

Kathy

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Hi, Carol. I can relate, too having had those same symptoms and addressing them with alcohol. I'm fifty. I went to my doc and got anti-anxiety meds and those help alot. When I started this program just over a week 1/2 ago I was drinking about 1.5 liters of chard nearly every day, or on one horrid occasion, even more. Then I found this great place, great people and in spite of my rant about the CDs they are helpful once you get past the first horrid one. Also get the supplements and buy/download the book. I read the book, got the supplements and also take a multivitamin and magnesium (( think that's it - not manganese) every day. I did a slow withdrawal for three days (half my usual intake) and have now been alcohol free for 3 days. Today starts day 4. I cannot BELIEVE that I have gotten this far. It is important to come in and chat, get the stuff recommended, but you do have to really WANT to do this. Hence my screen name.
                    Rock
                    Welcome and good luck. You can do it if you put your mind to it. Have family and friends help support you but if they don't, it's still your decision and this board will help. I know the program is working for me - I tried AA and nada. The only thing I got out of AA that IS for sure true is "one day at a time". That's it. It's that simple. Try to be good to yourself, and do things you normally don't allow yourself to do while you are busy taking care of others or work, or whatever. Whether it's reading, crosswords, TV, walking, exercise, or eating a box of cookies .... having sweets on hand, By the way, makes it easier initially I have found in these three days. It's a chocolate milk every night or cookies.

P.P.S. One last edit - was thinking some more in the shower and forgot one very important thing that happened to me. After two days it was becoming bearable (with the anti-anxiety meds), after three days I feel like I haven't felt for years. Today begins day four and I slept well as I haven't for years and woke in a good mood and peppy, not all distraught about the crap I did last night (which now not drinking I am not doing) or hungover or anxiety-ridden. I have already realized that alcohol sets me up for anxiety. But it does get better if you can hang through - Memorial Day Weekend, while often filled with drinking parties, etc. could be a good time to start the withdrawal if you have to work Monday or Tuesday, wherever you live. Again, best of luck. Please stay in touch.

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Good luck, Carol!

And Rock, Well-done! I'm 50 too, BTW!

Kathy

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Carol,
                        I had shoulder pain and hand/finger tingling as well.Over several weeks I thought something was very wrong as it would come and go. My Dr. checked out heart and it was o.k .Finally she sent me to a neurologist who gave me an MRI.I had ruptured a disc in my neck and had surgery to fix it. The funny thing was that my neck was a little sore but it was my shoulder that hurt and my fingers tingled. Irritation of the neck and its muscles frequently cause shoulder and arm pain.A bulging disc can give you hand tingling. Often physical therapy can help.If you get anxious try lying down and listening to the cd's. Alcohol will relax you at first but afterward can bring on more anxiety.So many of us know from experience
                        GoodLuck
                        Janet

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Re: new to the board

has been really great today reading through everyone's postings. i've been on the program and starting week 8. am finding being at 250 topa a bit challanging really. feeling a bit dopa since i hit around 100 mg. i increased also the kudzo. i'm doing all parts of the program and am needing to be more diligent with all of the cds. the drinking has cut down sizably. still after not drinking for 7 days i had 2 glasses of wine yesterday. sigh. feeling like i want to do the abs program for june. am excited and nervous about it. one day at a time i say. do you get kicked out of that if you slip? am a bit disappointed i haven't really lost any weight. i think 8 lbs or so. very very thirsty, drinking lots of water. am a bit concerned about going to 300 mg. is anyone on 300 mg? do you stay on that indefinitely? i think i must be a challange as i want it and have cut the drinking amazingly so but haven't quit entirely. have actually gone several days without it love the community here. k:b

Comment

Alcohol Withdrawal?

Thanks, Young AT Heart. 50 ought to be more fun once we get dry or at least ... drier. I suppose that I have to be dry ... I'm not a moderate person at anything I do. Best, Cathy

Comment

Working...
                            X