No announcement yet.

finally accepted i have a problem bit lost as of where to go from here though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi all,

i don't really know how to start this so i will just begin by introducing myself, i'm 26 years old, love life, single and have a good job, i realized a few days ago that i have a drinking problem, it spiraled out of control recently which resulted in my decision to take action. i've never done this before so i don't really know where to begin. i've checked out many websites and to my horror found i had most of the symptoms associated with this, i don't have access to a counselor so this is really the only tool i have, im not drinking now but i'm worried it might start again, so i came here to see if anyone coud give me some advice on how to proceed. i started taking a look at myself and realized i have issues that began when i was small and just got greater as my life progressed i am working on these i just think it will take time. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi wanttoquit,
    Count yourself lucky that you have the good sense to want to nip your drinking in the bud at a relatively young age........over time it will rob you of your youth and a whole lot more besides..........if you let it!!! Too many of us here, considerably older than yourself, have allowed drink to swallow up a large part of our lives............don`t allow that to happen to you.

Best place to start is to download the book to consider your options, devise a plan, and take it from there.

Wishing you luck and love.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Hi Wanttoquit, and welcome,you have come to the right place for support.
      Have you read the mwo book? keep reading and posting.
      Best wishes Paula.

Comment

this is the best place to come, listen to advice from others who are in the same boat

good luck max
        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Hi - how fortunate for and brave of you to face this while you are young and you still 'love life'. Read read read. Do not allow your mind to trick you into believing that you don't have a problem if you truly do. Deal with this now.
          Post here, spill your guts, bare your soul. Read our stories and struggles. Learn of the tools that can help you and enlist those that make sense to you. If you falter get back up and try again. And again and again and again if necessary.
          You'll see that many of us have been trying to quit for a long time - what is important to realize about that is that we are not giving up.

Welcome and good luck!
          Hugs,
          imatree

Comment

Hi Wanttoquit - I am glad that you found this site as it has made a real difference in my life. Today is my 30th day alcohol free! When I first found this site it was by accident as well but after reading the intro and the posts I couldnt help but check it out, it was my last resort!

My advice, as previously stated, download the book. Lets face it, the $12 spent on the book is a lot less then any night of drinking! I opted not to go to my doctor and started the supps without prescription and it has worked fine! I was so afraid the 1st night that I would be crawling the walls but I DIDNT HAVE ONE CRAVING!! It is an amazing program and an even better journey!

I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Oh, and ditto to what Starlight said - make a plan. Write it down. From what you are going to do with your evenings and what supplements you are going to take, to what you are going to say when somebody offers to buy you a drink ... and what you are going to buy with the money you save on booze!
              Hugs,
              imatree

Comment

Hi wantotquit.:welcome: As has already been said, download the book, get the supps, consider the meds, and post and read. Good on you for reaching such a life affirming and positive decision. You love your life, and you want to make it better. That is awesome! Stick around-we want to hear more from you!
                Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

thankyou everyone,

i wil keep fighting the urge and i will keep reading, i've already read many of the threads and as i said to diamond, there are so many kind peope here and they have all been afflicted by somthing so freely available, and to people so young.

thanks again everyone keep up the fight.

G.:thanks:

Comment

Hi Wanttoquit. Just wanted to add another welcome, and also more encouragement to download the book. That's where i started, and today is Day 32 alcohol free for me. I wish I had found and executed this program a LONG time ago. Don't want to sound like a broken record (but i will anyway LOL) - don't let a problem with alcohol consumption rob you of YEARS of the good stuff of life. It crept up on me big time and I lost a lot.

Best wishes,

DG
                    Day 32 AF
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Wanttoquit. As you can see, there are lots of folks here you know exactly where you are coming from - we've all been there, and we are all ready to support you every step along your way to sobriety. Congratulations on making that first big step - admitting you have a problem and resolving to do something about it. It won't be easy, and it may take a few attempts, but the important thng is to keep on trucking. This is the one instance where it's good to be a quitter! Again, welcome, keep reading and posting, download the book, etc. :welcome:
                      The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Hi Wantoquit
                        Another big welcome here too. I was just 'saying' something that might fit somewhere else...under 'Changes' in New Posts (in case it helps anyway!) that I now realise just how much I was being affected by the 'firewater'... maybe not so obvously in my 20's but I know I had my moments!! Looking back, I would prefer to see a me that didn't lose the plot thinking that I wouldn't get caught out by booze and I didn't 'need' it etc. etc. But that's not who I see - I'm 50 in October and glad to be alive and healthy to enjoy the next 50 (?!) without all that ugh booze brought. I'm not sure I am very proud of 48 to 49-and-a-half.... (well, I'm not and that's all there is to it...!)

Getting back in charge now is really brave, sensible and wise.
                        The very best of luck to you - keep telling us how it's going and this great palce will help all it can!

'Feet' x

Happy Day 1 and here's to many more...(toasting you with that wonderful, lifegiving substance - water!!!)
                        :heart: c: :heart:
                        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

helo

Hi wantoquit, Im new here also and dont really know how to use this right yet..but welcome aboard and where to go from here is make some good friends and a support system..that is what I hope to do...

Comment

A warm welcome from me too, Wantoquit.

This is a great place with supportive and non-judgmental friends to help you on your way. I found reading, reading, reading to be a key to being able to put together an effective plan - you can pick and choose what you feel might work for you - there are many brilliant ideas out there from people with many different experiences, though to some extent or other we have all 'been there done that'. So you're among friends and i think it's absolutely brilliant that you've recognised and accepted that you need/want to make changes to you drinking - you're already ahead of the game!

Good luck and look forward to hearing more from you.

And a warm welcome to August too - you'll find your way around in no time!
                            :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                            Goals:
                            Days 1-7 DONE
                            Days 8-14 DONE
                            Days 15-21 DONE
                            30 days DONE
                            60 days
                            100 days

Comment

Ditto on doggy (as usual)-- and welcome and keep with us.
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X