meditation cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meditation cure?

This article from The Times might be of interest...

Buddha and the bottle - Times Online
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

meditation cure?

Thanks for sharing that Marshy.
    About a year ago I went to a therapist briefly to address my drinking, and she quoted some addiction author who said that the only effective replacement for the addiction to alcohol was an addiction to meditation. I've remembered that, because it seemed to make a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the reminder.
    Hugs,
    imatree

Comment

meditation cure?

Addiction to meditation? That's interesting. I've started going to meditation classes (not the course mentioned in this article, although I might check that out) and have found them really beneficial - very calming and giving me a new perspective on things. My next 'fix' is tomorrow and I've been looking forward to it for days!
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

meditation cure?

Thanks for posting that article. It makes a lot of sense to me. i find that the reaction to the problem is worse than the problem itself. Taking this approach has really helped me a lot.I am very impatient about meditating though.

I have read about mindfulness based stress reduction in the US. I wonder if that is a similar program? It's more expensive than the course cited by the article and may not be covered by insurance. It's very structured and has a lot of individual feedback.

Center for Mindfulness - UMASS Medical School

Comment

meditation cure?

Thanks so much for this Marshy-I will check it out properly later but will certainly give London Buddist Centre a go!
          The Londoner
          IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
          Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

meditation cure?

I meditate every day for about 45 minutes and I also go to a meditation group once a week. I have found it to be one of my best tools in the fight against alcohol and would recommend it to anyone...
            A F F L..
            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

meditation cure?

Hi Irish, just interested how do you meditate, as I kind of self taught meditate (I think its meditation)it started out as relaxation but now I go deeper and give myself lots of positive thoughts. Just interested in what you do if you care to share, dont worry if you dont GGXX

Comment

meditation cure?

Thanks for this post Marshy. Great to see this stuff filtering through. During my 20mths sobriety (most of 2004/all 2005), I meditated for 45 -60 mins every evening (vipassana style, following the breath/mfulness of the body), and think that it definitely helped me make the distance. Meditation changes your relationship with everything. This is a great reminder for me to get back on track.

Nancy, I did a mindfulness-based stress reduction course here in Australia based on the Mass. one started by Jon Kabat Zinn. Seems like a similar program, which emphasises daily, consistent meditation (relaxation/stress reduction) sessions.

And talking of tracking - would anyone be interested in a meditation thread?
                The support and encouragement could function like the 30 day threads?

Kyna
                Kyna

Comment

meditation cure?

I think a meditation thread would be great.
                  I'm working with the book Healing the Addictive Mind, and am learning so much about how my thoughts sabotage me constantly (often obsessive thoughts about shame, fear, blame, self-beratement, self-pity, etc). I also understand that meditation is the key to quieting those thoughts and reconnecting to the pure self beneath.
                  I have so much healing to do of old pains, and I'm certain that meditation must be a part of my healing program.
                  FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

meditation cure?

I also think a meditation thread would be great. Like Garden Girl I am trying to self-teach myself meditation.

Comment

meditation cure?

Bumping this, `cos think it could help a lot of us. Satori got me thinking about meditation a while back and Jas` post the other day got me thinking about the benefits of being able to live in the moment.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

meditation cure?

Star,

How funny you bumped this thread up. I, too, have been thinking about meditation.

My doc recommended I try it. He said it is very beneficial. He told me that we stay so busy with life and needs, we forget to listen to our bodies and minds. Meditation is simply giving yourself some time to listen to yourself.

If you find any good sites that describe how to meditate, post the link.

Speaking of busy lives... I am really late for work and have to run!!

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

meditation cure?

meditation is a good way to clean out all the useless thoughts and negative triggers inside ones head.
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
                          X