Does anyone take effexor xr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The psych prescribed this for me also, I start taking it after I have been on Campral for a week. He told me to take it in the morning. I took prozac at night because it made me sleepy. He said this may cause insomnia and that is why I should take in the morning. Does anyone else have experience with this drug?

Thanks,
    Marcie

no and I have been on everything so it must be pretty new.

Comment

I think it has been around since 2000, so not that new.

Comment

wow do NOT listen to me ever. I thought I had seen them all!!

Comment

Effexor

I took Effexor back in the mid-1990's (it was first approved in 1993); it made me quite agitated and irritable...I didn't find it sedating at all (not like I did Prozac and Paxil)...on the other hand, I was eventually diagnosed as Bipolar and many of the antidepressants actually made my mood swings more exaggerated, so being agitated on Effexor may have been due to my own situation...

Finding the right medication is so important and it can be so challenging...hang in there!
          best, susan

Comment

Re: Effexor

It did sedate me...but new medications have a tendency to do that to me.

The only antidepressant that doesn't have that affect is Wellbutrin.

Comment

Re: Effexor

Marcie,

I knew one person who took this, and they had to take at bedtime beccause it made them tired.

Donna

Comment

Re:effexor

Yes i'm on 225mg a day. Its never made me drowsy or agitated (except if i miss a dose). It's been the best ad i've ever had (and I've tried many!), but they all affect people differently.
                Hope you find something to help you.
                I think you take it in the morning because it is slow release and the drug wears off during the night, as oppose to taking it at night when you don't get the best benefit.
                Hope that helps!

Comment

Re: Re:effexor

Thanks evie,
                  I was instructed to take it in the morning, and I was worried that it would make me tired all day. I guess I'll have to adjust the time if that is an issue. I just wanted to see what anyone else's reactions were to it.

Marcie

Comment

Hello....new here! I take Effexor and Wellbutrin. Both at night before bed. I've been on both for a couple of years. Works great for me. I'm just wondering how the Topomax will affect me. I just got my script yesterday.

Comment

Hey Marcie
                      I have been on effexor then effexor xr for around 10 years and by the looks will be on it forever. For me it is an excellent drug, no side effects unless I forget to take it, it has a half life (whatever that means) and you need to take it at around the same time every day. I am on 150mg per day and it keeps my moods very stable and for that I am grateful. I have anxiety problems and that is why I take the drug, unfortunately it is a chemical imbalance and thats just a fact.

No weight problems as far as gain and really if you take it properly you should know within a month if it is going ok for you.

I say give it a go and don't analyse it too much until around the four week period, unless you break out in a rash or turn into a vampire or start eating the furniture or something serious like that. Will you titrate up or start on 75mg? Let us know how you go, feel free to email at any time. PS. I take it with my morning orange juice around 6.30am each day.

Jools

Comment

Jools,
                        I have to start at 37.5 for 3 days, then 75 for 3 days then 150. I don't start until next Friday. I started Campral last Friday and he told me to wait a week and then start the effexor. I'm probably going to wait until Saturday though, so I don't have to worry about taking it for the first time and then go to work all day.

Marcie

Comment

Marcie,

Good idea, I am also taking Campral and find the two together quite good. I had a couple of strange days on Campral first up while I was getting used to it but have no problems now, you need to take the Campral after food or u will get the trots!

Keep me posted and ask me anything!

Jools
                          xx

Comment

Thanks Jools,
                            I was feeling kinda nauseous and out of it on Friday after my first does of Campral, but after that I was fine. I haven't been taking the Campral with food and not having any issues.

Marcie

Comment

I take Effexor... the first week was horrible. I could hardly function at work...could hardly stay awake and felt sick to my stomach. (I'd go out to my car and nap at lunch. That seemed to help) After that it has been fine. Actually been the best I've been on so far (Zoloft, Wellbutrin). Good luck.

Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X