Going under the knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going under the knife

Well actually the needle:eek , June 9th. I made an appointment today for a liver biopsy. I thought having a date scheduled will help me maintain my abstinence. I know I can't drink at all, but that hasn't stopped me in the past. Now knowing I have that appointment coming up in 3 weeks will be even stronger motivation. I want my liver to be as healthy as possible before I go in. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I have minimal damage.

Marcie

Going under the knife

Good luck Marcie, I wish you the best!! You deserve it, after all you have been through. Just stick with the abstinence, think how great you will feel in three weeks when the biopsy comes back with good news.

Hugs
    Ter

Comment

Going under the knife

Do you have the Campral? They should give it to you if you don't.

Comment

Going under the knife

Patty, I've been on Campral since last Friday.

Comment

Going under the knife

Best of luck, Marcie.

I can somewhat relate though I have not had my liver tested (though I probably should). I did have a breast biopsy though and a lumpectomy and boy, the drugs they give you to get through those things are better than the booze (trying for a lighter note and not really succeeding - I apologize).

Keep your spirits up as much as you can - and I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Sometimes things happen for a reason - sort of like a wakeup call - breast cancer scare is also related to alcohol consumption - at least the type I supposedly had. I was fortunate, it came through okay. But it made me wake up and start to change ... just a little bit or I would not be here today.

You will be in my prayers.
          Cathy

Comment

Going under the knife

Re: Best of luck, Marcie.

Hey Marcie,

Good luck, Girl! As Cathy said, they should at least help you have a good *legal* high for a bit!!! The friend I have mentioned who has been sober for 20-something years now from drinking/drugging has always cherished her *legal* highs, always with an impish grin! keep us posted, you know that we will be with you in spirit right up to and through your biopsy day and beyond!

Cyber hugs ((((()))))
            Kathy

Comment

Going under the knife

Marcie;

My thoughts are with you...I will definetely stay in touch.

Hugs
              Brandy

Comment

Going under the knife

Ter, Cathy, Kathy and Brandy,
                Thanks so much for thinking of me. I'm not too worried about it yet, but that is because it is three weeks away. I'm kind of anxious to get it over with.

Marcie

Comment

Going under the knife

That is understable

Once you have it behind you, you know what you have to face. The anticipation is what really kills us anxious folk - hence the need the drink or drug or smoke ... whatever we smoke.

speaking of which, has anyone tried smoking instead of drinking? Was it better or worse? I was never a big smoker of stuff except for about five year right after college.

Marcie, hang in there. You can do it, girl, I know, cuz I did and I have major anxiety issues!

Hugs
                  Cathy

Comment

Going under the knife

Marcie,

My fingers, my toes, my arms, my legs, my ankles, my wrists, and whatever else I can think of crossing. Best of luck to ya Marcie!! Counting days right along with you!!

Donna

Comment

Going under the knife

Marcie, gotta add a note about the procedure--I have spondylothesis--sp?--slippage of a vertebrae along with two herniated/bulging discs. Would have recovered from husband's death but pain led to more drinking; now I'm intent on getting it fixed--long story short: Needle procedure to the spine, first lidocaine, then needle into the spine; first time was very short but hurt like hell because I was nervous and afraid; second time I already knew what I was facing and my first comment to the doctor afterwards was "is that it??" Moral--relax, think of good things, biopsies are very short procedures, and above all, don't drink and you will definitely pat yourself on the back in three weeks.

Hugs (obviously I'm having a sleepless night but I refuse to go out to the bar for a pint; only a half mile up the road)
                      Ter

Comment

Going under the knife

Rock/Cathy--to answer your question, I had to quit smoking because it seemed to worsen the need for drink--very bad interaction going on there. And I gave up cigarettes a year before I found MWO. NOT a good substitute. It took me over four years to finally quit smoking, and I was not a heavy smoker (half pack a day?). My personal advice (and I welcome input from anyone else) it does not bode well to substitute one addiction for another, unless it is an addiction to something like knitting, reading, biking, hiking, you get my drift. 8)

Something not linked to a known addictive substance.

For relaxation, try yoga, walking, meditation. My personal escapes are films (my passion), different teas (becoming my passion--the olfactory senses are overwhelmed now that they are not so deadened)--yes regular alcohol use even deadens your nose--and gardening--it's amazing how good earth smells. And gardening turns up earthworms, which make my little woodducks following me around the yard VERY happy. I try to keep occupied with this kind of stuff all evening until the liquor stores in my area close at 9:00pm.

Hugs
                        Ter

Comment

Going under the knife

Marcie you sound like you're doing so good lately! Lets hope you get some great news back from the Doc with your results... You're in my prayers, sweetie! Hugs, Judie

Comment

Going under the knife

Please let us know has this goes, I'm interested in the procedure cause I'm probably next. I get my next round of liver tests June 1st, So I'll have the results before your procedure. If not enough improvement I get the same procedure your getting.

Best of luck to both of us.

Dug

Comment

Going under the knife

Marcie,

I am thinking of you- and your ears were probably ringing today because we were throwing good wishes from Starbucks to you today. Is the Campral helping?

Wow I wonder how Brian's date went/is going???

Comment

Working...
                              X