Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atkins: Going off induction

Hi folks:

So my two week period of Atkins induction ended last night. I stand at a 10 lb. loss in only two weeks, and roughly 3 to 4% body fat loss.

BMI went from 25 to 23.8 in that time. So back into "good" zone. 6' 2" and 185 lbs. So far so good. Primary goal is 180 lbs. My main real goal is to be able to see my abdominal muscles again, with no gut. Muscle mass per my Tanita analyzer fluctuates from 138 after waking, to 144 right after work. I think after waking, the dehydration from sleep has a lot to do with that variance. Also, body fluids tend to move into upper body while laying down, and go back down into the legs as the day wears on. The Tanita sends the signal through the legs, so I can understand why it seems to vary like it does.

So I celebrated my first off induction snack with 2 ounces of pecans. Gosh were they good.

I messed up at lunch today, and got a little cantaloupe and honeydew melon slices. I only ate maybe 3 or 4 ounces of those, but I could tell my blood sugar zapped pretty good. I felt like I had just taken a shot of whiskey or something when the melon sugars hit my bloodstream, and then a slight headache. Amazing. I had a lunch of chicken, green beans, salad greens, before those melon slices, but my body just seemed to grab the fruit sugars like crazy. Should have limited the amount to just an ounce or so I think, but you all know how it is.

Anyway, at least it wasn't a bag of oreo cookies, and a Mars bar. Very interesting all this is for me. Another day in the trenches so to speak.

Neil

Good job making it through induction Neil. I am almost done with week one of induction myself and I know how that goes. Don't worry about the fruit. I remember having that first taste of pizza after induction and it was the best thing in the world. This is my second round. The first round I dropped 30 lbs in 3 months. Then I got pregnant and now I decided to go back at it. It's like your body gets trained after the first 2 weeks and is very forgiving after a cheat or two.
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Xtexan,

Unusual for me to respond to any of your posts, and here it is two in one day.

However, I am a pro on the Atkin's diet. My husband is a very close to type II Diabetic and has many issues with carbs.

People HATE the Atkin's diet because it is not balanced, blah, bah, BUT it is the only diet my husband successfully loses or maintains weight on.

In the last two months, he has lost 27 lbs by going back on the "induction phase" (actually, he just avoids carbs). I know you are a physically fit person who exercises regularly, so the induction phase is probaby too harsh for you on a long term basis.

Unfortunately for my husband, it is really a lifestyle. When he adds back the "good carbs" and I mean the good carbs, he starts gaining weight and his cholesterol AND sugar goes back up.

What he does do, though, is try to avoid eating too much fat, especially saturated. He eats lots more fish and chicken than red meat, he does eat eggs, but has reduced the bacon/sausage thing.

I have absolutely no idea why I am posting this, except that there are some people, like my husband, for whom the "glycemic index" has no value. He cannot eat whole grains, oatmeal, etc. His body converts that stuff to fat and it really messes up his chemistry.

So, as the loving wife (he would snicker), I worry about the other vits/minerals. However, he has found that supplementation keeps him healthy and I am just grateful that there are so many good supplements out there today that will keep him healthy without affecting his blood sugar/insulin issue, or his cholesterol.

Really just posting this for those who have a really tough time with their weight/sugar/cholesterol and may be looking for an alternative that works. His doctor has finally decided that despite the 'best' advice from the world of nutritionists, my husband is stuck with high protein low carb forever, unless, of course, he wants to become a diabetic and start taking medication.

He chooses to eat what works rather than go that route.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Low-carb update:

I was shopping at the Super Wally World (also referred to on another forum I visit as the "evil empire".) For our international members, this is a little U.S.A. cynical humor.

I found some whole-wheat plus soy tortillas for making wraps and tacos!! The brand is LaTortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low-Carb/Low-Fat Tortillas. Made in Santa Rosa, CA.

Stats:50 calories each, 3 grams net carbs (11 grams total carbs-8 grams fiber). No saturated or trans fats. 1 gram polyunsaturated, and .5 gram unsaturated fat. 5 grams protein.

Just thought I would pass this on, because I've been searching for low-carb bread and grain products for my new diet. I've been hunting grocery sections in the stores for things like this, and thought a few of you might be interested.

Neil

Comment

Will be curious what you think of those tortillas Neil. I bought them about five years ago when they first came out, but you could only buy them online. I was forced to buy a case which I quickly gave away to my friends because I could not stand them. I am wondering if they have revamped their recipe perhaps.

The best low-carb pasta I have ever had is made my Dreamfields. Unreal, how real it tastes. I can find them at some local stores or you can buy it online. Might want to consider it if any of you are pasta lovers.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Lushy:

Well, I just munched one cold out of the wrapper. It definitely was not a full tilt delicious corn or white flour tortilla, but was not terrible. I can live with them for now.

I will hunt for the Dreamfields pasta, as that is being missed as well. I found some whole grain wheat and rice penne pasta, that had fairly low carbs. Haven't tried it yet, but will soon. It is Heartland brand.

I am wondering it I could deep fry the tortilla chips in something like safflower oil or something to make them crunchy like chips. I was a massive Frito and Doritos addict, but have given those up of course for the near term.

Neil

Comment

Yep, I am a chip addict as well. Good idea to try and fry them. Perhaps try olive or grapeseed oil. Much healthier. Definitely check out the Dreamfields pasta. You will be amazed. It is all we eat and no one ever notices a difference...
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Be careful about doing anything lo-carb Neil, especially if you are training, you are better off eating the right carbs as opposed to restricting them in any way.
                It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Hi Java
                  have been following this thread with interest. Can you please
                  advise which are good carbs?
                  Thanks

Comment

Anything unbleached, un refined, such as whole grain breads, whole grains of course, and sugars that are in their natural state, as opposed to table sugar. (honey, molasses, stevia is a good substitute)Legumes, fruits, vegetables. The Atkins doesnt specify unless you read it thoroughyl, and even shuns fruit for a while, out bodies use carbs as fuel, and Atkins restricts that to cause you to have a diuretic effect, meaning you lose mostly water, in addition to it being hard for your body to handle.

Your body processes good carbs differently than bad carbs, good carbs to not have a dramatic effects on your blood sugar causing a "crash" whereas bad carbs do....Good carbs cause a steady rise, and feed your body the way it is meant to be fed, they also leave you feeling full longer.

Atkins would shun the potato, but it is a good carb full of nutrients...should not be avoided.
                    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Working...
                    X