rough hangover/withdrawal day after binges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI all-I have not done as good as planned at all-I have pretty much binged for about 6 days-who knows-10-16 beers/day? Went back to work today -had 1 before and my 3rd one now just trying to moderate a bit do not want to go through withdrawals and the stress of how horrible I felt all day I am stressed about a couple of other things like job and money but I have an awesome family. I just want to feel better and do this safely so I figured after all that binging I'll have a total of 5 beers today, 5 tomorrow and 4 on Sunday so I can start my work week fresh and feeling good about myselft then I can cut down my weeknights as well-any input would be great-thanks!

Wanttostop ? I'm not sure what to say. Do you wanttostop or not? I don't see how your plan will enable you to start your work week fresh and feeling good about yourself. None of us WANT to go through withdrawl but if you wanttostop it's part of the package. Most of us have made it through withdrawl by following the MWO plan using the recommended SUPPS ( ALLONE, kudzu,l-glut,etc) and listening to the cd's, reading the book and basically making a committment to "do the program". I'm not sure I understand what exactly it is that you want to accomplish. If you really think you are going to have SERIOUS withdrawl symptoms then you should consult your doctor. That being said, there are a lot of folks here that drank an awful lot for a long, long time and made it through withdrawl. Of course it's not easy, but it's no worse than a bad case of the flu. We are all here to help when you are ready but it really is up to you. I guess that's my input. You know you can PM me whenever you like. Good Luck and keep reading and posting. You CAN do this. Don

Comment

Wantto,
      Do you have any supplements? Also if you drink in the a.m. like it sounds like you do- you may need some sort of detox to get you through. If you drink a lot every day you can risk seizures. You have to be careful and cannot do it without some meds. Can you talk to your regular doctor about getting some short term meds to get you through?
      Chief, for some it could be very dangerous, I'm just not sure about this.
      Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

HC, I know, that's why I suggested speaking to her doctor if she feels a real threat. Only she knows how much she's been drinking. Don

Comment

Well, a lot of people don't want to go to their docs for various reasons. I have never gone through that kind of withdrawal, so I'm really not sure what to advise - although I know it can be dangerous.

I do know that the tapering down was the advice peeps gave to Rachel when she was going through this; 5 beers is 1/3 of what you were drinking before so that's good! If you can continue to taper maybe you can get to where you have AF days. Do get the supps - kudzu and l-glutamine help. Also, I understand that people have real anxiety from withdrawal - if you really don't want to talk to your doc to get some meds, try taking some Valerian to calm your nerves; also, I take a supp called True Calm - it's got Gabba and Inosotol (sp?), also great for nerves! As well, drink lots of water and EAT! It'll fill up your belly and you won't have enough room for all the beer! Try eating some complex carbs - a giant baked potato with the skin is GREAT!

All of that being said - if you get to feeling really bad, if you feel bad enough that you're scared, get to the ER because it can be dangerous. And remember that there are always people here to support you!

Comment

Thank you to all of you-Don I understand I have been back and forth on this and I know I need to decide what to do -I want to taper off-I do take Campral and have the Kudzu and L-Glut -my Dr gave me Xanax for times that I feel anxious. I had a very rough day yesterday but I still managed to only have 5 beers and was ok with stopping there-plus I don't think I've had only 5 beers in one day for a long long time! I'll be at a couple of parties today so I'll stay at my 5 as my goal and tomorrow go down to 3 or 4. Thanks for all of your input and for being there! Oh and by the way I slept alot better than I have in a week last night and feel pretty good this morning-and there is a water next to me this morning not a beer! ; )

Comment

Hi wanttostop7,
              Many people wean themselves off the drink, but it can also be quite a difficult approach to adopt, if we fear the alcohol consumption reducing on a daily basis. Certainly, doing this makes it a smoother ride for people who have been drinking very heavily.

Like you say, you to and fro, so perhaps you haven`t really decided which way to go yet, as regards whether you really do want to quit or opt to moderate.

My advice is to get your intake whittled down first, and then make a plan and arm yourself with the tools that will give your plan a greater chance of success.

Like I said before, we can all do this, and that includes you, it`s just that the hard part is that we have to make it happen for ourselves.

Wishing you love and strength.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Good Morning Wantto, I'm glad you are feeling better today. I know you are going through a rough period right now just trying to decide what to do. Take your time and think it through and when you decide we will be here to help. Good luck today on your goal of 5 beers. Keep reading and posting so we won't be worrying about you. We care and we all know what you are going through even though I know you feel alone. You are not. Don

Comment

thank you-so much-so far so good!

Comment

Hang in thier !
                    We can start agin ! iad!
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

well, it sounds to me that you have already decided what you want to do and are already doing it. You just want our support.

From long experience, I would say it sounds like a good plan if you can really carry it out. Since you have the meds to help you (Campral) and the meds for withdrawal symptoms (Xanax) and you seem ABLE to taper, I would say you are well on your way.

The main problem with a plan like yours is that many people just cannot taper. I have tried and failed many times (but I had no meds or supps to help). Just remember the supps and good eating. This will help tremendously. I did finally manage to taper with the help of supps and other good lifestyle changes. It beats cold turkey.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

P.S. If you taper too fast, it can be the same as stopping cold turkey, with all the dangers involved like seizures etc. Please be careful with this. Can you consult a doctor who knows your history better?
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thanks Beatle I do feel real comfortable doing it this way and yes my Dr is aware she prescribed the Campral-I saw some people worried about talking to the Dr about alcohol due to insurance-why is that? I am in the U.S. maybe it is different everywhere.

Thanks to all of you too!

Yesterday I did not stick to 5 BUT I went to one party without a drink at all and the other we were there for quite awhile and I had water in between beers -I had a total of 8 from noon-7pm which is awesome for me-I always drank before noon the past few months (since my Father passed-no excuse I know) and I had no problem without. Plus-I kept a tally of how many drinks I would have had normally in a day like that and I came up with 17!!! The reality is so scary I wish I did this sooner-so even though I did not do 5 I am not beating myself up as I did less than half of what I would normally do. I feel great this morning-had a great sleep, got a workout in this morning and feel like it will be a productive day. I only feel sad that I feel I should have a couple in fear of withdrawal-but I know I can control it as I really do not feel the need for it-I hope I am not jumping the gun here but I am really feeling free-

*Another thing-I have the Xanax yes but I am a sissy I am scared to take it-is there any risks?

Thanks again! Hope you all are well!

Comment

Not everyone does this the same way. Do what WORKS for you. I, could not moderate or taper down. It was all or nothing. I tried MANY times to moderate and every time it lead me back to a drunk episode, BUT there are several people here that moderate successfully. You will find the path that works for you. Just make sure it WORKS and is something you can continue long term...whichever route you take. It isn't easy either way, we all know that or we wouldn't be here. You will find your path and we are all here along to route there.

Comment

Wanttostop

Like many have said, you have to do this your own way, or it won't work at all. For now your way may be to taper down, and maybe or maybe not that will work. But if it doesn't, and you decide to go cold turkey, (with the proper help!) you will have made the decision to do that, and it will still be your way - important thing is that you have to make the decision about how you are going to do this, & then follow throu. Be ready to admit that method didn't work if it doesn't, and then be open to trying something else.

But keep trying! You will find the right time & way to win this battle. Meanwhile, we will be here to hold your hand. :hug:
                              The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Working...
                              X