Unable to tolerate the meds - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am hoping that someone will offer some sage advice on what I can do to beat these cravings before they beat me! I have been working this program off and on with the supps/cds for over a year but haven't been able to go more than 6 days AF - my goal is 30. Being a holistic girl at heart - I was really wanting to do it without meds. I tried flower remedies too but it didn't have any affect on the cravings either. I have had success with moderating, but still drink more than I want to.

I finally relented and went through the hoops and rings of my insurance co. to get a referral to see a psychiatrist. My regular doc wouldn't prescribe meds for cravings/addictions. Got a sample and prescription for Campral - insurance wouldn't cover - tried the 7 day sample and it didn't work on the cravings at all and gave me yucky runs. Back to the doc and got a prescription for topa. It took 3 weeks for insurance to approve. I cut the 50mg pills in half and took one a day for 5 days and yesterday decided I just can't take drugs. I was tired, irritable, lethargic, and I could feel the drug in my brain - and that was just 25mg! There is no way I am going to dose up. It might have helped slightly with cravings (it was hard to tell cause I wasn't really thinking clearly) but I still drank every other day - I did that without the meds.

Anyway, I am starting school this week (going back to college to get my degree at age 43 - yeeha!) and I want my brain at full capacity. I am also a full-time mom and need my wits and energy. I love the supps and am hoping to get back on a regular schedule with the CD's when kids go back to school.

The kudzu alone doesn't really help me with cravings - does anybody out there know of anything else that may work? I am feeling desperate! HELP! I will take any and all suggestions into consideration. Thanks.

Love & Light - GG

I think you might want to try the hypno CDs...

also,in another thread on L-glut, Determinator suggested doses at levels of clinical trials. you could look up that thread.

i think you need to get the powder form of lglut to get the higher dose.

Comment

Try the Chantrix, its really working well for several of us, I too, am very alternative healthwise, even tho we own a pharmacy...lol...the L-glut. powder is awesome, toss it back when you get a craving, the GABA helps you not feel "edgy" and "itchy", the Lithium Orotate is awesome for a settled down feeling, mood elevator, and gives you time to think about pouring that second drink, or more...its natural, you can get it at a high-end health food store, or we have the Dr. Niepers here, I can send you some....its 200 tabs for 19.95, take 1 3x a day....it got me to major mods, the Chantrix is just helping me get to AF....Just hang tight, keep posting, go to chat....pray....this is not for sissies as you know!
      "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you, ToughinTexas. I am writing it all down and will try everything you suggest. Never heard of Chantrix - what exactly is it? I am a regular at my health food store and also shop a lot at Vitacost.com. They have incredible prices on allone and other supps - I will have to check out the items you suggested.

Feeling hopeful again and ready for round 10? 15? I've lost count, but will never let this thing beat me! I really appreciate your response. Love this place!

Love & Light - GG

Comment

I guess you are taking the supps, right? I suggest increasing supps, especially vitamin C-- it is shown to reduce cravings in very large doses and can't hurt you even in huge doses (except maybe give you a loose stomach)-- keep popping them throughout the day.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I also try to do everything holis, but couldn't beet the cravings not matter how many herbs I took... so, on the TOPA front, Ihad TERRIBLE brain fog, couldn't seem to get out - even after about three weeks. So, I went off, cleaned my system out from it and went back on ONLY taking at night, or about 4:30 each day. I read that from someone else. It makes me a bit tired, but at the end of the day that helps me to wind down and not want a drink. I am actually going to up my dose to 50 mg as I haven't had any side efffects this time - and that is coming from someone that feels side effects from baby asprin!!!!
            Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Me too me too - what is chantrix - I'm writing it all down also, thank you toughintexas .

I too am having digestive and ear ringing problems with the supplements. I am trying the topa and it doesn't seem to bother me, but I am just at 25mg this week. I will try to up it to 50. The cravings are not any better yet.

LIke you Green Goddess I have never been into medicine and am a fairly green girl. But I think any drug is better than 25 glasses of wine a week!!! Plus I could stand to lost 30 pounds - the cravings are pretty similar so I'm hoping the suppls and topa help cravings for alcohol AND food. And the CD's, which I am trying, but I can never find an hour where no one will bother me until the kids are back in school.

I've been camping, but now I'm back and glad to be here again.

Comment

So I went to vitacost.com and checked out the l glutamine powder, great price! 1000grams for $27.99. Also got some of the inositol powder for sleepy time as I sometimes experience insomnia. As I was checking that out, the site recommended 5-HTP so I looked at the info on that and it is supposed to help with sleep, weight loss, cravings, etc., so of course I threw that in the cart. I also ordered another tub of allone - the two month supply and my total was under $100. I found the lithium orotate for $12.50 at herbspro.com. I am so excited about trying out these new, healthy alternatives.

I checked out the chantix, it is a new drug to help you quit smoking. That appears to be how it is being marketed, and it is expensive! It was over $100 for a starter pak - ouch. I think I will start with the supps and see how it goes.

Thanks again to all of you for your support, advice, and encouragement.

Love & Light - GG

Comment

I posted this before and would encourage any of you have a history of depression to please do your research on Chantix. RJ posted this in the subscriber forum and there are some very scary stories for some people who have taken Chantix, including suicide even in people who were not depressed before taking the drug. Might work for some, but please research, research, research before you consider. The big drug companies are quick to put drugs out because they may fix one ailment, while ignoring the other HUGE side effects that can take place.

Pfizer's Smoking Cessation Drug Gets FDA Approval
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

GG - I haven't started the topa yet but I plan to next Fri night. I am waiting because I ordered something called adrafinil (sp?) from nubrain. I read on the topa board that it helps with the side effects, especially brain fog. I also hope to never have to go over 50 mg of topa. I will be using the l glutamine, GABA and some other supplements also. Last fall I took L-glutamine and GABA (for different reasons) and I oddly (very oddly for me) went AF for two months. And I lost 18 pounds (I was doing Atkins). I ordered Kudzu too but am now afraid to take it because on the FAQ page it says do not take if you have endometriosis which I do have.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X