Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first day...again

:new:

trying again to stop drinking. got up to a bottle vodka a day for the past 2-3 months. daughter found me on the kitchen floor saturday night...not pretty. of course, i don't remember. i will not go to aa - too face to face. spent all of yesterday on line researching alternatives...this looks good. managed to only have about 6 shots of vodka yesterday and two glasses of red wine w/dinner. had absolutely no alcohol 2003-2004. i don't really know what happened, how it got back to this. i was moderating so well. anyway, got up this a.m. and rode my bike 40 miles, felt great. now that it's 6 p.m. i want to start doing shots so bad but i'm not...yet. staring down the chocolate cake pretty hard though. i remember when i quit four years ago i mainlined m&m's...what's that all about? i really don't like sweets...weird. anyway, just wanted to throw my junk out there...not exactly white-knuckling it here but i do want some vodka pretty bad...that's for sure.

first day...again

Hi Natasha, and welcome! Eat as much cake as you like!!! If you want to stop drinking, cake is the least of your worries. It's just your body craving the empty calories it usually gets from alcohol.

Personlly, I don't do this program, but hundreds have and are and have been very successful. The main advice is to get hold of the book and start doing the program.

You can get help here 24/7 (although sometimes the world seems to be asleep when you live on the other side of the world!)

Good luck, and stay strong. We've all been/are where you are.
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

first day...again

Hi Natasha, welcome to MWO!

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It can creep up on you out of no where. Even if you were good at moderating, if you are prone to alcoholism, it can lead to dependence.

I can't imagine what it was like for you to have your daughter find you on the kitchen floor. Maybe that was a wake up call for reaching out for help. You will find a great group of friends here that can help you and offer you advice along your journey.

Sugar cravings are very common when you stop drinking. I am not a sweet lover either but when I came off of the alcohol I had a craving for things such as MnM's as well. I found eating a lot of protein and whole grains helped my body get back to normal sugar levels. Also there are a lot of supplements you can take too which will help.

Take it one day at a time and read as much as you can. This forum provides a lot of insight to this disease and you will probably relate to many other's stories and struggles.

Keep posting, and again welcome!

:welcome:

Comment

first day...again

Hi Natasha! By all means, eat that cake NOW, you may feel a bit bloated tomorrow, but at least you won't be hungover!

Next, try to get hold of some l-glutamine - it's an amino acid that you can find at GNC (or even Walmart). Get the big tubs of powder and I recommend up to 15 grams per day. I first learned about it when I went on the Atkins diet; it curbs your craving for sweets. Coming here I learned that it also curbs the desire for alcohol. If you have alcohol cravings get the kudzu - another supplement that curbs alcohol cravings. I take both, as well as a ton of others!

And get the book and the cds - they really, really do help!

Remember, there is always someone here to offer support.

Now - get out that fork and shovel some chocolate!

Comment

first day...again

Hi natasha,
          Get really tough with yourself and ride it out..........stuff your face silly with calorie laden goodies.........the sugar cravings will soon pass, so will not be a long-term problem.

Am only 22 days AF, but it feels so incredibly good.

My 1st AF night was sheer Hell, but am so glad I refused to give in, as I can honestly tell you it has got so much easier with each passing day........would still love to have a glass of wine (but I certainly won`t)..........thing is, I no longer feel as if I "need" a drink.

Am loving being AF now.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

first day...again

Hey Natasha. Saw you on Chat but u must have slipped away from ur puter for awhile cause you didn't talk back.

I too am on Day 1 AF. I take Campral and Lithium orate. I went 33 days AF last time and I am a 12beer a nite drinker so that is pretty stunning.

Together we will make it and have this day under our belts. AF day 2 we can say tommorow!! :welcome:

Comment

first day...again

Natasha & Hart, Get through Day 1 and worry about tomorrow tomorrow. Taking Kudzu and L-glut really helps with the cravings. Keep yourself busy and distracted and keep reading and posting, it will help and make the time go by the first few days.. All kinds of support here when you need it... Don

Comment

first day...again

okay, the 'witching hour' appears to be over. rarely would i START after 9 p.m. getting to sleep troubles me a tad but probably not a problem with all the exercise today. thanks for all your support...it's pretty nice.

Comment

first day...again

Natasha, good for you! You can also try some Valerian for sleep/anxiety if you find you're experiencing problems with these in the days to come. PS - all of these supps are natural and as far as I know non-addictive, so they're safe to take.

Again, congrats on making it through a rough time! Everyone here knows how hard it is and what an accomplishment it is to resist!

Comment

first day...again

Well done, one day at a time!
                    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Working...
                    X