Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topa and its effects when you drink- how do you feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you only have a glass of wine or two do you feel drunk? Or do you just not have the interest in the alcohol or getting drunk? I'm curious because I may take that path down the road and want to know what the appeal is other than it curbs your drinking (which is great on it's own but really curious to know how it makes one feel). Thanks, Patty

topa

Good Morning Patty - doing okay today?

Peb

Comment

Re: topa

Yep, day 14, or day 2 depending on how you look at it!
      I actually have a bad tummyache but I think it's unrelated.
      Ate too much last night- that's the next thing I need to curb.

Thanks for checking in on me! Patty

Comment

topa

Glad to hear it Patty. I too am on day 2 (not even close to 14 like you - thought the run would be easier today but is wasn't! I have heartburn - still withdrawing from the wine. Had a great nights sleep though.

Just waiting on all of my stuff - should be here by Thursday. Trying to go non rx as my doc is a bear about anything prescription. She would rather have me go under the knife than provide drugs.

Take care and I hope the sun comes out for you. It is always out here - we are very blessed to live in the desert.

Peb.

Comment

Patty, Sunday Evening, Mother's Day, Was the end of day 7 for me. I was feeling pretty good about my progress and at that time was feeling no cravings, but as I explained in another post, I was a little ticked at my husband. He had been out of town all week. Came home Fri. eve., only to leave again Mon. AM to be gone another week, and was spending the evening in the study playing computer games while I sat watching TV alone. I wasn't a happy TV watcher. I faught only a little while before breaking down and having a glass and a half of wine. As I said in the other post, I enjoyed every swallow of it but didn't want a bit more. My usual is (was) 8 or 9 glasses in an evening. I can say that the Topa does curb the desire, or did for me. I wish now, that I hadn't given in. My plan was 30 days of abs while beginning MYO. I was glad, however, to know that I could stop with that small amount. E.

Comment

Hi Eliziby,
            So you just didn't want it? Did it alter your state? I'm really curious? Did it just turn you off where you really didn't have a taste for it?

A glass and a half is nothing- and Topa is meant more for moderation that abstinence I think, maybe you want to get Campral and then switch back to the Topa? I am on Campral and slipped on it but don't go by me I screwed up not the Campral. Sounds like with a slip better off on the Topa! My usual was about the same as yours- 2 bottles of wine. So in 7 days you have not had 63 (ok 61 1/2) glasses of wine! That is fabulous! You should be very proud of yourself! I am on day 14 (would have been 16) so i haven't had 126! Not bad! :rollin

Comment

Happy,
              To original 2 questions

"No" to the first.
              Almost always, or usually no to the second.

Ever since being on it, have not ever gotten the same "high' I used to get. And also have never, in the last 2 months, drank in one evening or day or week, the amount I did in the months/years leading up to MWO and Topamax. Has not been the miracle pill for me, but in many ways, damned near.
              Peace,
              BP

Comment

Reply to your questions Patty. Been on topa 3.5 wks right now at 75 mg. From day 1 same effect:

1)If you only have a glass of wine or two do you feel drunk? ANSWER: NO

2)Or do you just not have the interest in the alcohol or getting drunk? ANS: FOR ME VERY LITTLE INTEREST IN ALCOHOL PER SE. MORE HABIT. ABSOLUTLEY NO INTEREST IN GETTING DRUNK. PERIOD. DO REALLY WANT TO RELAX.

3) I'm curious because I may take that path down the road and want to know what the appeal is other than it curbs your drinking (which is great on it's own but really curious to know how it makes one feel). ANS: I AM NOT EVEN SURE 1-2-3 GLASSES OF WINE EVEN MAKE ME FEEL MORE RELAXED PHYSICALLY. I LIKE THE TASTE THOUGH. BUT MAYBE IT HELPS ME RELAX -- DUNNO. NEED TO GET IN SHAPE. THINKING AT SOME POINT WITH EXERCISE MAY ABSTAIN. LIKE EVERYONE USED TO DRINK WAY WAY MORE THAN THAT + V. THOSE ARE THE GOOD POINTS ABOUT TOPA. I HAVE MY STRUGGLES.

Comment

thanks for all your input keep it coming!

Comment

You pose an interesting question,
                    And really a key question.

Previously, alcohol would trigger a MORE MORE MORE!!!! response in my brain, and in my whole being, it seemed. And my "buzz" (without topomax) was much more powerful (controlling over me?) in terms of swooping me into the next 5 or 6 drinks without thinking. It used to be more a of a liquid, fluid, definately longer lasting, losing of yourself buzz. So its different now. This is a good thing!

Now, it is shorter lived. It is like there is a little angel on my shoulder whose voice I can NOW clearly hear saying, "oh, that is probably enough." The discomfort associated with the buzz , or impending drunkeness is not ignored or drowned out now. (like it used to be)

The tricky , and key part, and probably this is how "normal" people feel ......and that I had to acknowledge ...the fact that I would go up..... then I would come down.
                    Then the night would be over. There would be no more going up and up and up and up, for me! No more chasing after that elusive "better buzz" drink after drink,......until I am so drunk I regret it horribly the next morning.

I definately do feel a relaxation of the tight muscles around my shoulders from the stress of the day with one glass of wine. I definately do feel a little more expansive and talkative. But I feel that the there are little buzz cleaners in my head sweeping it all up,
                    and after an hour or two, ...... it is over and along with the normally drinking people..... we move on to coffee or dessert , and conversation, or after dinner chores, and the whole thing is over. No more drinking, no more buzz.

What a gift.

Comment

Working...
                    X