Coffee- yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee- yes or no?

There seems to be conflicting views on coffee for recovering alcoholics. Most experts say "no coffee", but some research shows coffee drinkers are less likely to develop liver disease. Anyone know anything about this?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Coffee- yes or no?

All I know is that if someone tries to take away my coffee they'll live to regret it!

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

yeh, I know what you mean, but I have been cutting way down because I thought that was an important thing to do in healing but now I wonder. I would love it if we actually SHOULD drink coffee. (Reminds me of that Woody Allen movie, "Sleeper").
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

I agree about the confusion. Many authorities say to stay away from caffeine if you are an alcoholic but the study shows that 6-7 cups (that is a lot) protects the liver.

A true dichotomy!!

I, personally, drink coffee, love my coffee and don't want to give it up.

I wonder if perhaps decaffeinated coffee has the same liver protecting properties are caffeinated? I tried to research that but haven't found that answer.

If anyone has found that, let me know!!

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

hmmm

so coffee protects the liver? i hear drinking too much is bad for the liver so maybe we could cut down the alcohol? easier said than done!

Caffeine is not good for the nervous system. It seems like common sense to me that if we are motivated to drink by psychological/emotional factors like stress, we should steer clear of things that make us jumpy or edgy.

6-7 cups!! no way!!! There are better ways to protect the liver. Not that I have looked into them but I think Determinator has looked into all this.

1-2 cups is ok. coffee/caffeine in moderation.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Nancy,

Here is a link about coffee and liver.

Coffee defends liver against booze | The Register

Note, they are not sure that it is the caffeine, so if decaf would work, I may start going that route. (As well as continuing the AF goal.)

I agree, a stimulant that adds to stress is probably not a good idea for an alcoholic. Especially one like me, who uses drinking to self-medicate against anxiety.

However, I do sooo love my coffee.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Yeah, I sure do love coffee too but I guess it's because caffeine is addictive!!

I have a big fight with myself after my one allowed cup per day. I wind up filling my second cup and just having half of it. I used to have about 6 cups per day. weekends, I often had three double espressos.

I feel a LOT calmer since cutting out my caffeine addiction. my stomach problems are about 1/10th of what they were before. I am sleeping better. When I go AF for a while, no problems sleeping. Edginess that used to drive me to drink has eased considerably.

I thought decaf wasn't healthy because of the process used to decaffeinate the coffee?
              I don't have that either.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

I heard not too long ago that coffee can help protect against a 'fatty' liver. I drink about 3 cups of fairly strong coffee everyday. Not Starbucks, but my own - I make it pretty strong.

Caffeine is also good for maintaining circulation and preserving your youth apparently. Of course in a small quantity. I heard this on Oprah a while back when she had Dr. Oz on.

I think it is good for you if you aren't drinking gallons of it - it can cause edginess and increase anxiety.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

I don't know about coffee and the liver. But as an asthmatic, caffeine DEFINITELY helps with asthma. It opens up the bronchial tubes. And once when I was way underweight and was trying to stop caffeine and developing an ulcer, I tried stopping coffee and Man I had headaches, was grumpy and.......well I have to have my caffeine!:cupajoe:

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

obviously, caffeine is addictive and we are trying to get away from that. One minus for coffee. But it helps protect the liver. One plus. But it increases edginess, anxiety-- major reasons for drinking alcohol. one minus.... whew, I'm spinning.

I guess for now, I will stick to my max 2-a-day rule, must be before 3:00 pm.

One thing, though, although caffeine does increase edginess/anxiety, in small amounts it is relaxing (I think).

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Coffee in small amounts doesn't increase anxiety or irritability for me. I find it relaxing to get up at 5am and have two cups before the rest get up. That is my favourite time of day!

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

I should probably quit coffee because it does make me edgy, even one cup. Then I want wine to calm down from the stupid coffee. But I love the taste of coffee and decaf doesn't taste very good.
                        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

coffee is good for you if not taken in large quantities. it's like chocolate mood enhancer.
                          if all you do is drink coffee and eat sweets, you will definetely end up a nervous wreck
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

I, too, have been reading a lot of research on how good coffee is for you. I read that the reason coffee has gotten such a bad rap in the past is that because many of these studies were done when smoking was also very popular and many people were smoking while drinking coffee, so they now realize what they thought was bad about coffee really needs to be attributed to the cigarette smoking. I thought that was interesting. Sadly, I am like Happy where one cup can make me edgy and irritable, but I still want one cup in the morning. I now just have 1/2 cup and drink tea the rest of the morning. For some reason the caffeine in tea does not bother me as much.
                            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Lushy I knew I loved you for a reason. :h
                              Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X