Any Artists Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Artists Out There?

I'm a songwriter, dj and musician, and I'm wondering if there are any other artists/creatives here who would be interested in corresponding via email. I've had a full time job outside my field for the past 4 years, and between that & the drinking, my music has slowly come to a complete halt. Not good for the soul as you can probably imagine!

So now I'm trying to get back on track, and bring my creativity back to life, and I'd love to have MWO people to connect with. Abs, mods, doesn't matter to me, nor do I care what medium you work in, if you're involved in the creative process, or have lost your way like me, let's talk.

Deirdre

Any Artists Out There?

I have been a studio potter for the past 15 years, with a little painting on the side (mostly watercolor). Like you, I have let it slide and am just getting back to it. I would be glad to "talk".

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Hi, I'm a decorative tile painter who works at home. I'm just starting out in this program because my business has gone from booming to just enough to get by. Im so glad to have found this board!

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Hi Kris,

My major in art school was painting (oil), and I?ll always love it, but I decided to go back to my first love shortly after graduating. I was doing pretty well writing songs and I have a home studio where I produce them. I was also working part time as a dj for about 8 years. After 911 the work just stopped coming in (I live in NYC) & so I had to get a ?day job?. Since then it?s been really hard to find the time & energy to write. Of course, drinking myself to sleep every night after work didn?t help! But even now that I?m not drinking, it?s hard to find time. I just know it?s something I have to do though, if I?m going to live the life I was meant to.

What are you working on these days in your studio? I?d love to hear about it, or anything else, if you feel inclined to share.

We can move this to our ezbox?s too if that?s better.

Take care,
        Deirdre

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Hi Bacardi,

Welcome & congratulations on starting the program!

If I read you right, you?re saying that drinking has interfered with the success of your business. Yep, I know the feeling. Well, you?ve come to the right place. So tell me, which aspects of the program are you doing so far? How is it going?

Deirdre

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Bacardi - welcome to MWO. I would also like to hear how you are doing. For me starting was a bit scary and I was none to sure I could do it, but it is worth the effort. I love tile painting, do you make your own tiles?

I would be glad to share info on my pottery and painting (I am a much better potter than painter), and hear about your art. Probably be best to do it via e-mail once we know who else will be joining - then we can send pictures!

I never counted on art for financial security, but drinking made me less motivated, I couldn't drive to the studio, and it is hard to do fine work when your hands shake. Two weeks of abs has been an enormous help and returning to the studio, has been a great motivator to continue the program.

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Hi dreaming, I'm an audio mix and mastering engineer. I am not as creative as I would like to be with music, I just know what I think sounds good. However, my mother and sisters and I are all painters as well. Yes it is hard to be thoughtlessly creative when you are drunk. So many of us feel like if we wind down it will be easy to create, yet then we take it so far that we end up drunk and lazy and uncreative. Sad.

Let's all help this world to be more creative, we all have so much to offer.

--T

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Yes, how do you think I gave myself my name. Music.. E -Me yes I know I would not post ,but I can't stop reading ,and this is real important.. music...!!!!!

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

You're right Temple, it's hard to be creative when you're drunk. It's funny though, because now that you say that it reminds me that I really started drinking in college. Not at parties like you might think, but in my studio, while I was working on paintings at night. It was fine back then, but now, forget it, especially when I'm trying to play something new on keys, or figure out some technical problem on my software. I can't remember what's what. You know how people forget phone conversations the next morning? I would forget if I saved a song that I worked on all night. Or at the end of the night I'd forget HOW to save a song. So even if drinking makes creativity flow, you still need to get it out, and without your faculties, that ain't gonna be easy!

How are you doing with the program? And the painting?

Deirdre

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

No it'ts really easy to be creative when drunk. Some of my best paintings ,and solos in my band were tits.. Sorry for all of you but TITT'S In music or maintenance means really good..I know what you are going through. I "litterally spell" Gave up on my music.Because of acholl and pot.. Respond to this or E-me on this site...That is why I quit playing because the only time I felt like playing was when I was drunk.. Not to mention either the jobs paid good,and the music sucked or the music was good ,and no money... That is why I sit at my pond and fish.. I realy want to get back to playing cause I want to. But so far that has not happend yet...What a Dick I am..Good love to you all..AS far as painting , yea you will really come up with some really good stuff!!!!Paint drunk or sober or both.. But live your life sober.. You got to go on you know? m

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Looks like you didn't too big a response, but I would be glad to hear what you are doing and share my story. I have to admit that while I love all types of music (OK, maybe not RAP), I have absolutely no musical talent. I would love to hear what you are composing.

I have always been involved in artistic endeavors, photography, painting, crafts - although I didn't begin until after college. About 15 years ago I took a pottery class and it became a passion. I love the fact that it takes total attention and that no one will ever learn all the facets that it presents. Taking a lump of clay and helping it evolve into something beautiful is a joy. When I took an early retirement from a job that was total stress and 24 hours a day on call, I meant to spend more time at the studio (and at the gym). Unfortunately, working from home doing computer consulting left me way too much time for drinking and thus little motivation for other things. I have not picked up a paint brush since January.

It has only been 17 days of not drinking, and we have been out of town, had a series of family crisis situations and I am working on a Art Auction on 6/2 to raise funds for the teaching art center I belong to. (I do all their computer work.) So while I have done some pottery, I hope that I will be able to return to it with a clear head and more motivation in June. Like you, now I feel I should be able to do more, but time is still an issue.

I am thinking that right now not drinking takes a lot of attention, but that I should soon be back in the studio. Let's share our "road back" journey (and perhaps some picture and audio clips of our sober creations.

Kris

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Hi Kris,Congrats on 2 weeks! I'm on day 4 and still doing ok.Now that I'm somewhat clear-headed,I'm hoping to get lots of new business and hopefully some creativity will come back. I used to be a potter also and then an art teacher before starting the tile business. There is nothing better for getting your frustrations out than throwing giant pots. I really miss it. Thanks for writing-I'd love to keep in touch.This board is a big help

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Big Pots

Bicardi - Got to love big pots! I have shoulder problems, and a fused elbow from a ski accident - pottery is not the best thing for me. What do I love most? Making really big, on the edge, stuff. I do some small, fussy stuff, but not my love. Centering and pulling way too much clay is the best.

This is day 18 for me, not easy but I am taking it a day at a time. Day 4 for you - that is great, and tomorrow will be day 5! I have to say that I have already found this has helped my pottery - it is hard to trim if your hands are not steady. I hope it works for you and that you are soon able to return to pottery or whatever you love most.

I would love to hear about your tile business. I have not had much luck making my own tiles, but do some tile painting on bisque tiles I have ordered.

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

HI, Deirdre - musician here and often times band leader

I'm into swing music and have had several very successful bands. Totally lost interest, though, mostly because of some health probs and the always-prevalent psychology of leading large groups and their personnel probs.

Right now I'm into planning and arranging. I know the feeling described of the initial creativity and then the too drunk to remember how to save, or too drunk to finish or too drunk, period. I'd love to correspond with all of you, painters, tiles, music - matters not. What did we really carry on from high school? NOt algebra. I miss my music. I need to get it back.

Hang in there and keep hoping and trying.
                            Rock

Comment

Any Artists Out There?

Re: HI, Deirdre - musician here and often times band leader

Hi all,

my artistic leanings are all of the tactile/visual sort--
                              was (before heavy drinking) and hope to return to: handweaver, spinner and dyer of yarns (still sell handdyed yarns to yarn shops in my area); used to be artist-in-residence at local arts school; faux painter (marble tabletops, critters that aren't really there, etc.) and was member of co-op gallery in artsy little town. Creative impulses took a major plunge a couple of years ago when my husband of 20 years died and the drinking got really bad, but last year I took up stained glass and am now enamored of that; just a small stasis period because of mom's illness and death. But I want to get back in there (had an invitation to a large stained glass show but declined because of mom). I'm thinking of purging all the old unfinished projects and just starting out anew.

Ter

Comment

Working...
                              X