Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topa Vs. Campral

Hi All!

Has anyone here had experience with both topa and campral, both on comparative craving reduction properties as well as side effects, etc. I sometimes still feel quite tired on topa and wouldn't mind doing several months of abstinence at some point in the future with campral. I'll miss the weight-loss help with the topa though!

I'd love some feedback if anyone has had some experience with both. Thanks in advance!

Kathy

Topa Vs. Campral

Hi Kathy,

I haven't been on Topa just Campral and I slipped this weekend pretty bad. Campral has given me no side effects at all.

I had read that on Campral if you slip it will make your slip less bad but that is simply not true, not for me anyway. I woke up this morning and there was a glass of wine on the bedside table next to me. First thing I saw when I opened my eyes. I am disgusted with myself and took the the day off from work today. Reading Adria's story made me even more ashamed of myself, plus it was Mother's Day, what a great mom I am. I remember nothing past around 7pm last night I think, and I think it's because of the Campral, the wine, and the Klonopin. My husband is talking to me but I can tell he's pissed and I am too embarrassed to ask him what happened last night and how did I end up in bed with a glass of wine. I know we must have had a fight because he slept on the couch.

My family took me to brunch for Mother's Day and I chatted with pansy and some others Sat night asking for advice about how to handle it because you get a free drink with brunch. Not only did I not do what they advised but I drank Sat night! At 9pm I announced I wanted a glass of wine, I had a huge craving and should have taken an L-Glut. My husband tried to talk me out of it but there was no stopping me and I thought on the Campral I would nurse one and that would be it. I drank a half a bottle (maybe a little more) and decided that at brunch I would skip the drink and start anew. But I didn't. My family doesn't know so they were offering me drinks when my glass was empty and I just never said no. My husband couldn't stop me because my family doesn't know. Even when it was dessert time I ordered a glass of wine instead. Then a woman I haven't seen in ages who is 82 came in and had a sad story, that her hubby had to be put into a home because he developed dementia and she was very sad. This is the second husband has has lost. I knew both of them very well. She is an alcoholic too and isn't going to stop, she's 82 and has had it rough. I'm certainly not going to preach to an 82 year old woman about her drinking while I'm sitting there drinking with her.

My family left and I told my husband I'd be home in 20 minutes (this place is right up the street from where we live). Well 2 hours later he comes back with the baby in the stroller and hands me my cell phone and storms out with her. This must have been about 5pm.

So now I have to start from scratch. I was 11 days abs, does this mean I have to be at day 1 again? Please tell me no, someone...Patty

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Kathy,
      As long as I am doing well with abstaining the Campral works great! When I drank on it, it was like a placebo...didn't help me at all. Same thing I experience with antidepressants. I am at a point where I don't know what it is doing because I've been on it since December. I don't feel any side effects, nor have I ever since starting. I no longer have a desire to drink, whether it's because of the Campral or just a combination of things, I don't think I'll mess with my formula at this point. I recently tried a couple doses of topa to see what it was like. Didn't like the foggy effect and felt SO tired the next morning which was a struggle during my 12 hour shift at work. I know it was early effects, but decided it wasn't for me since what I have is working. Gina

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Hi Gina,
        Is it ok to mix Topa with Campral- is there any research on it? Where did you get it??

How's the cool job?

Thanks, Patty

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

(This message was left blank)

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

(This message was left blank)

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Hey Kathy imagine the weight you'd lose if you didn't drink at all!!

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Oops!

Thought I wanted to say something here, but I changed my mind! Sorry!

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Topa Questions?

I'm starting the program Thurday and have 2 concerns-

1). The side effects of the Toparamine. I run a large Real Estate office and speak weekly at Sales meetings with 75+ people.

2). What is the time line for gett off the Meds. I haven't seen in any of the literature so far. Also my wife and my Dr. have both asked me that.

I appreciate any advice or direction on these.

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Re: Topa Questions?

The time line can be what you want it to be. Some people start titrating back down after a period of abstinence/moderation to see if their brain chemistry has changed sufficiently to handle it without the meds. Others opt to stay on the meds for a much longer time, even for life, if they want.

It's up to you. Have you read the book? I'd suggest that, if you haven't. Also, check out program updates on the home page for any changes to the book!

Good luck and welcome!
                    Kathy

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Re: Topa Questions?

Okay, Thanks.I had read most of the book when I posted this and haden't found any time line. I did find it after your post, Thanks!

I will just have to see how things go. I'm completly ready now and can't wait to see the Dr. tomorrow and get started on the Topa.

The schedule for dosing up seems pretty fast pace. I don't like the Idea of staying on any medication forever so I'm hoping like 6 months to a year at the most.

My drinking pattern is so similar to Jewells even with the vodka as her preferred drink this program seems like a perfect fit. I am also about 75 lbs over my desired weight so I have a lot of work to do.
                      I'm ready!

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Kathy,
                        As you know, I've never taken Topa. Started Campral on Friday and haven't had any side effects except the first day I felt a little nauseous a couple hours after the first dose. Could have been because I hadn't eaten anything all moring, not sure, but it didn't happen again.

I hadn't been having cravings the first couple weeks before I started Campral, but decided to take it anyway just because I knew last time I relapsed bad after a few weeks of abs.

I guess it was good timing, cuz last night I was craving wine. I think just being in the sunshine for the first time in a week(hopefully the rain is over now!), I thought about wine for a bit. I just shook it off and it passed pretty fast. I'm not sure if that was the Campral or not. I'm having an NA beer tonight, and it's not really hiting the spot. Just not interested in it. Maybe the Campral is working and I just don't realize it.

Marcie

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Thanks for sharing your experience Kate,
                          I guess that was the Campral that made the craving seem like just a side thought that I didn't even think about following through with. I wasn't sure if it was the Campral or not. I have to say that was a great feeling!

Marcie

Comment

Topa Vs. Campral

Kathy,
                            About the weight loss and the Topa, does the Topa decrease your appetite or is it because of simply drinking less. I've lost weight on the Campral but it's because I haven't had like 30 bottles of wine in the last 15 days! I really want to moderate in the next few weeks. You're still tired? When does that ever end?

My prescription is coming soon, how does the dosage work, how long does it take to get up to the max? How long should I do the 50mg or is it just until your body gets used to it and you get to a level you are comfy with? Are you relaxed or simply tired or both? Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks dear. Patty

Comment

Working...
                            X