Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Topa from offshore vs. a prescription

Hello,
    I am having some trouble moderating. Perhaps it's all in my mind because I seem to want to drink more now that I have decided to moderate. This doesn't make sense. I'm sure prescriptions vary in price all over but does anyone know if the prescription cost of Topa is cheaper than buying it on the web? I don't want to wait too much longer for my web purchase! I have committed to the May moderation event and I think I might need some more help. The Kudzu seems great but I am still feeling the need to drink off and on. OK, I just bought my first house and it is kind of a big deal but it should not make me want to drink. I should just be thinking about my garden or something else nice about it, not getting wasted! Tomorrow is my first day of REAL moderation. I wonder if I should head for my Dr's office and if the Topa will be cheaper??
    Thanks!!!
    CB

Not sure where you are in the world. Here in Aus it is definately cheaper if you can get it on prescription (haven't found a DR yet to do it though)

Comment

Hi,
      My web order of Topa from the US cost about $200 US$ for about 180 tablets. I am in Canada. I have filed away the receipt - I'll dig it up. MEANWHILE I have just looked up the company on the web and it is advised that I NOT use MagellanRx because you don't get your drugs, but they charge your account!!!! Oh NO!!
      I don't need this right now!

Comment

It depends on whether you use your insurance coverage or not. My copay on topa in the US is $20 (US). The other day, the drugstore made a mistake and forgot to run it through the insurance. They wanted $431 for a months supply (90 100mg tabs) or $47.89 a tablet! Thankfully we were able to clear it up, because I nearly wet my pants right there in the store! I checked with a friend here at MWO later, and she could get 4 months' worth offshore for that price! So I guess it would depend on where you are and whether your insurance covers it and if you want to use your insurance! Our lovely drug companies here in the USA make deals with insurance companies, and then foist off the charges on the uninsured! Nice guys!

Good luck!
        Kathy

Comment

Cblossoms,
          We are both on Vancouver Island. I got my Topa prescribed by my family doctor, ran it through my husband's insurance (Great West Life) and they paid it, no questions asked.
          Do you have coverage? If so, go for it !!

Comment

I thought of something else. If anyone asks (like your friendly neighbourhood nosy pharmacist) just tell them its for migranes. As far as I know, the only records accessible by other pharmacists and doctors in BC are the meds and dosage, but not the reason for the prescription. Your doctor has a duty to keep that confidential.

From your other post about problems moderating, I would say Topa is the answer. We all have good intentions, but willpower just isn't enough. Topa gives you that edge. For years I wanted to drink only on the weekends, but by Tuesday or Wed. have given in. With Topa, I was abstinent for weeks, or months in a row. If I was you, I would run to the doctor.

Comment

Thanks so much sobermom.
              You are right about the intention to moderate and the actual deed! And true, the nosy people can not see the reason for the meds. I have no insurance (self employed) but that's OK, I have lots of medical problems and pay for my scripts out of pocket. I hope it's not too expensive as I am moving house soon. I will make an appointment! Hugs.
              CB

Comment

Hi Cblossoms,

If you don't have insurance, you might want to check on Canadian pharmacies. Just in looking I have found substantially cheaper prices than in the US.

I'll be doing May abs as well, but I have to think at work this month. I'll be ramping up topa as soon as this project is over.

Good luck,
                Pansy

Comment

Can you even get Topa online without a prescription. If yes where?? Thanks, Patty

Comment

HI,
                    Here are the two sites I found. The first one, I think, is the general sight of choice here, the next I found myself and I just got an email today that my shipment will arrive in about 6 weeks. Too bad I have to wait that long, but I guess I've waited this long to admit my problem and find the program, so I can adjust my way of thinking while I wait for my Topa!!

www.inhousepharmacy.co.uk...pamax.html

www.scripttrust.com/d/buy....shtml.htm

I hope you find your way here and that you get the results that you want.
                    Hugs.
                    CB

Comment

If you live in the US and have insurance, Topamax is far cheaper with a prescription than buying it offshore. I initially went offshore for my Topa as I wasn't ready to admit my drinking problem to my physician. As I began to feel empowered by my sobriety I felt ready to discuss my drinking with him, and now have it covered by insurance.

Patty...yes, you can buy Topa offshore without a prescription from many sources. Many months ago there was a thread 'pinned' to the top of this section of the forum on places to get supplements, etc. Now that RJ is thankfully selling them, that thread is no longer required. However, there were also a number of sites listed in there where you could get Topa. Here's a link to that thread:

Topa Sites

Amy

Comment

Topamax

I have three boxes of sealed Topamax, 20 tablets in each box, 25 mg. I purchased them in Tecate Mexico when I was down at Rancho la Puerta. I tried Topamax but it conflicted with the HRT I am taking so I had to go off it.

[Remainder of message deleted by RJ]

I cannot reach this member to ask that she modify the post. I just learned of it. Please, please, folks: no transactions of offshore meds here. It puts the entire board in jeopardy.

RJ

Comment

one more thing about the Topa

Having checked out prices online and I believe I paid about $20 a box in Tecate, [edited by RJ]

By the way, another great book to read is Natural Highs by Hyla Cass. I am now on L-glut and Taurine - working well for me.

Comment

Re: one more thing about the Topa

I just upgraded to 50mg tablets. With insurance, 140 tablets cost me $60.00 USD, or $2.33 per tablet. Without insurance, the cost would have been an astounding $618.39 USD (without tax) which would have been $4.41 per pill, very close to Kathy's $4.78 (Sorry Kathy, you were one decimal place off). That's 8 cents per milligram, regular price!

With no insurance, I would pay out something over $4000.00 per year if I went up to 300mg and stayed there indefinitely.

Don't tell me those Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical execs don't have some every nice vacation homes, and retirement plans.

Considering the retail cost, Topamax should work perfectly, and have no side effects whatsoever, right? :rollin

Comment

Working...
                            X