Prescription for Nutritional Healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a wonderful reference book and has a HUGE section on supplements and healing for alcoholism, recovering, withdrawls, etc. Here is some info.... Amazon is a great place to get this..

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 4th Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements

Prescription for Nutritional Healing by nutritionist Phyllis A. Balch and James F. Balch, M.D., has long been considered one of the most trusted, comprehensive sources on the mind-boggling array of vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other dietary supplements now available. Working from the premise that a good diet promotes good health, this third edition of PNH still starts with the basics: consume fresh produce, grains, and lean meats; avoid foods that are processed or high in saturated fat; cook using glass, stainless steel, or iron--never aluminum; and drink filtered water. The authors also stand by their claim that the government-prescribed recommended daily allowances are ridiculously low, and that the book's optimal daily intake for nutrients should be followed instead.
    So what's new in the third edition? Along with now-accepted remedies, like zinc and echinacea for the common cold, the Balches also explore many of the newer supplements to hit the market: SAMe (recommended for depression and joint pain), phosphatidyl serine (mental acuity), red yeast rice (cholesterol), and 5-HTP (weight loss, insomnia, depression). You'll also find an expanded chapter on alternative therapies that encompasses Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine, along with a hefty section on pain control that offers a grab bag of options such as acupuncture, biofeedback, guided imagery, chiropractic care, and massage.
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Got the book Mama. My healthy grocery store had it. I do not know why I did not already have it. I have seen it for years and used it for reference. Off to read now. Alcoholism is on page 170. I already read that part. I like that they indicate there are problem drinkers and alcoholics. They suggest Moderation Management for problem drinkers. I prefer MWO much better but that was interesting to see.

I think I am going to make appt with Ayurvedia place for health analysis. I cannot even figure out why type I am. There is a place super duper close to me. I swear, I cannot imagine getting well or free from alcohol without nutrition, exercise, supplements, meditation, and hypnosis. I think it is impossible.

Comment

I just gave away from old versions of their book but this new one sounds intriguing. Will check it out. Thanks!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I think I got scared of SAM-e when I read:

CAUTION: Anxiety, mania or manic episodes may occur if you take high doses of SAM-e. Once you have enough SAM-e in your system, you may only need to take 100 mg every day or every other day.

They also say not to take it if bi-polar. I have never been diagnosed as bi-polar but I also avoid head docs @ all costs. I learned from this site a huge % of drinkers are bi-polar so I decided to quit taking it. I really like the 5 HTP. My goal is to take 200 mg 2-3x per day.

Let me know how the SAM-e and 5 HTP work together. I wonder if they are redundant?

Comment

my guess is that they may be redundant.. less may be better in this case, but I think you are safe adding GABA to these
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

OH- HERE IS MY MISSING POST!!!! The above post was supposed to be on another thread. Oh well-

Thanks for the substantiation Mama.

Comment

I have had that book before and really liked it, too. One of my kitty cats peed on it, so I had to throw it out

Maybe it is time to get a new one! I bet there is yet another edition. This book is addictive.

Pansy

Comment

I have read this book and think it is absolutely fabulous! Anyone who has any interest in natural methods of healing should go out and get this book! It is often referred to as the Bible for nutrition, and rightly so.

Comment

I still have the original 1st edition from 1990, that I bought that same year I believe.

I suppose if it is in 4th edition by now, many things have changed.

Just today, I was looking through my first edition of "Life Extension", by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw. That book was ahead of it's time as well, as it really had some great info on the bio-chemical reactions involved in aging.

Been doing some research on Super Oxide Dismustase, and CoEnzyme Q-10. My latest foray into supplements, has been a lot of reading on enzymes and their effects on aerobic performance for the over-50 crowd (yours truly). Fighting off the years.

Great book, and has a broad spectrum approach to many things.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                  X