Can't stop drinking,even with the topa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so stressed and it seems the only thing that keeps me going is wine. Its not in great amounts--less than a bottle a day but now its every day but the thing is I have HepC and I shouldn't drink at all although it doesn't bother me. I take lots of herbs and I'm up to 250mg. of topa but so far it hasn't stopped the craving but havent recieved the CDs yet. Maybe thats what I need the most. Any suggestions?
    Linda

hey moonlight.

i'm no expert and i don't have a clue what topa is! i do think that a bottle a day is too much..(i drink around 6-7 pints of beer a day.) i find that the best way to cut down is to try and leave it till as late as possible before having my first drink because once i've had my first one thats it, i'm on it all night or until i've had too much. i know the craving is really really hard to resist but the longer you fight it the less you drink and hey presto you're on the way to cutting down!

Comment

It is recommended that you drink a lot of water while taking topa. I know, the more water I drink, the fuller I feel, & the less I can fit in there... also have to spend more time running to "water the lawn!" Oh , almost forgot... we have running h20 here...& neighbors! Oh well I can still go out back, for old times sake!
      You can take the girl outa the Tree-house, but just don't try to civilize her! Ha

But really good luck, something's gotta work. Have you tried any Self help books, or Daily Meditations? Some times just pounding things into the ol brain repeatedly...
      Are you exercising? That usually gives me an extra kick to take care of myself.

Comment

Moonlight,
        Do you mind me asking, did you titrate up to 250mg of Topamax at 25mg per week, is it perscribed, and what daily level of wine were you at before you started the Topamax? In other words, has it helped reduce the intake at all? You say "now it is every day" Was it not every day before?

Topamax does not work for everybody. Maybe someone here knows of an alternative? (I have the CD's but am a bad procrastinator, and have not started yet)

Peace,
        BP

Comment

I don't think topa by itself is going to make you quit. It with the other recommended sups and cd's will help. The rest is up to you. It's hard. I'm there right now. It takes a lot of self discipline. We have to bite the bullet and hang in there till we get past the cravings or till they lighten up, and they tell us they will. I was drinking a bottle and a half of wine every evening. To do the program, I couldn't tapper off, I had to stop completely, and tough it out. I'm in day 4 of abstinance. I have a Brother with HepC. I know how important it is for you to take care of yourself. Please don't give up. E.

Comment

Hi Moonlight,
            I have HepC as well. I've been abstinent for 11 days now. I thought just finding out about the hep was enough to make me stop. It worked for a few weeks, but then I started drinking again. My doctor told me I couldn't take Topa because it is digested by the liver, so you may want to check on that. Like Eliziby said the topa alone may not make you stop. Because of the Hep C you shouldn't drink at all. Maybe pursue Campral instead. The supps, cds, exercise, the whole program will help more than just topa. Topa isn't a magic pill, you have to be determined and motivated to stop drinking as well. I sent you a message to your ezbox mail as well.

This program will help, but you have to want it! Good luck,
            Marcie

Comment

Eliziby,
              I'm proud of you for stopping cold turkey. Hang in there.
              Nancy

Comment

I hope I didn't give the impression that I did it without help from the program the program. I am doing the whole thing. The All One, the sups, the Topa, and cd's. I have cravings every evening, some worse than others, and I have had to bite the bullet and get through them. When that time of the day gets too hard for me, and nothing else has worked, I take one or two Calms Forte Tablets and seems to calm me down. What I was trying to say to the writer of this post, is that topa alone isn't gong to do it. We have to really want to stop and be determined to do all we can to not give in. If we do, and so far I haven't, don't give up. We have all the right stuff to start again. God Bless Us All. E.

Comment

Hi all,

It does take time...the whole process to quit drinking! This program can work, but, NO, it is not a "WOW!...I don't want to drink again". It takes determination and hope on your part and still after all of that a whole heck of alot of will power! Then even after you figured it out for a month or two..,you still have all the after math to deal with (emotions, feelings...). It is a LONG, hard road but is one that is SO worth it in the end!

So, No, I don't think the topa is the answer. But it can help, exspecially in the beginning. But you also have to be ready to say NO to drinking and keep doing the supps and CD's (if they help you!) That is the key! You need to find what is right for you!

Take care,
                  ~Tammie

Comment

Hi, Linda and welcome.

I'm curious also if you titrated up at the recommended schedule/timeline and noted any reduction at all in the amount you've been drinking. Many individuals do seem to need the full 300 mg and in Dr. Johnson's clinical study on Topamax as reported in the Lancet, full effects of the meds seemed to be observed at week six of twelve--as you probably know, that's the 200 mg level according to the titration chart. (These were meds only, of course, not the MWO program.) Everyone's different, there's no hard and fast rule, either.

But given your Hep C, you may want to consider some other strategies. Here are some ideas:

* Absolutely give the CDs a try, they can be enormously helpful.

* As Judie mentioned, give exercise a go. If you're currently involved in a workout program, trying ramping it up a notch. Here's a site to download a variety of fun workouts, I really love her stuff. (This is the site I mentioned recently. Her downloads were free at the time; she's now charging 99 cents each.)

* If okay with your doc, up your intake of Kudzu to the higher levels (3,000 mg per day) to match last year's clinical study in which subjects significantly reduced their alcohol intake. You'll find details in our research area.

* Consider the "L-Glut" under the tongue trick (half a capsule) when you get a nasty craving. This really does seem to work for many people. You can also take it daily as an additional supplement if you don't now. Again, only with doc's approval.

* Consider auricular (ear) acupuncture. Find someone in your area who specializes in this technique for treating addiction.

* Talk to your doc about Campral. I believe Naltrexone is contraindicated for those with impaired liver function and assume s/he would not recommend or prescribe it.

* Start your day with a high quality green tea, which can help reduce sugar (and alcohol) cravings. It may also transition you away from caffeine, which some people feel is helpful as they curb or eliminate alcohol from their routine.

Hope that helps and please keep posting. You'll find lots of support here, as well as some really wonderful members who are dealing with both alcohol dependence and Hepatitis C.

RJ

Comment

I did titrate up slowly as was recommended but what I realize now is that as before I was using will power and common sense, once I started taking the topa I just figured the topa would find my level and I just went all out and ended up drinking more! Whereas I would often go for a week without wine I was now drinking everyday.I'm now back under control and realize I have to do the whole program and still use will power.

Comment

Thanks, those are great suggestions, I have also ordered the CDs so expect those soon, I will look into the Campral. And thank all of you for your support, this is such a wonderful board!!

Comment

Thanks,Marcie, I'm new to all this so I'm still trying to figure out how to get into myezmailbox. I'll get there eventually. Thanks. Linda

Comment

Linda,
                            If you are on the main page that lists all the discussion groups, in the upper right corner, you should see a link that says ezbox and that you have new mail.

Marcie

Comment

Hi Linda,

It's great that you are achnowledging that your drinking is harmful and want to improve that. When I began to take topa, I thought it would be a silver bullet type of fix. I did well at first but then began to drink right over top of the topa. I have found that quitting is a combination of many things, including good old fashioned will power. It's helpful to view topa, CD's, suppliments, exercise, diet changes, MWO, etc. all as tools in a toolbox. Fixing the problem requires a different and unique combination of tools for each person. I found that I was a habitual- drinker. By that I mean my drinking pattern was very much ingrained into my internal clock. It was a "huge" habit. At the same time of day, when I arrived home from work, I was "programmed" to drink, and very much ~ craved the alcohol. Changing my PM habits was a tremendous help. A suggestion would be that you totally change what you do, during the time of day that you normally begin drinking. Do this for about a month. You will find that when you stop associating that time of day, with drinking, that things should improve greatly.

Good Luck, Best
                              "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X