What can I expect???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I expect???

After drinking bourbon for most of my adult life, and progressing to a pint a day (in the evenings) and sometimes more on the weekends. What can I expect if I go cold turkey. Frankly from all I have read about withdrawls it scares the hell out of me. Can anyone offer any insight ?

What can I expect???

Welcome! Going cold turkey can be dangerous esp. if you have been drinking daily for several years. Could you go and see your doctor and consult on an effective way to help you stop? I, personally believe this is the safest way, and at least you will be monitored. I would suggest weaning yourself down but.... most end up drinking just as much.

Comment

What can I expect???

Welcome...i wish i could be of help on withdrawl but i dindnt have much...i thik the doctor is a good reccomendation...if you look on the medication thread there is some great info there on drugs that have helped others...im so glad you found this place... there is so much support and help here...i'm sure someone will post more regarding withdrawl...i know i have read more threads about it....Welcome again and good luck to you! buckle

Comment

What can I expect???

Hi kj.
        Guess a good indicator of how each person will react during withdrawal is to look at how much and how often they are drinking. I found withdrawal anything but pleasant, but wasn`t in any danger as I knew I wasn`t physically dependent on the drink.

Am confused (as ever!!! lol).......is bourboun whiskey??.......sorry, was a wine drinker. Anyway, if you`re drinking a pint of hard liquor every night, you would likely be classed as a heavy drinker and should take appropriate care to withdraw and consult your doc. Don`t be afraid of withdrawal........dying prematurely from drinking excessive alcohol is far more scary in my book, kj. Withdrawal is safe, even for a heavy drinker, as long as you have the necessary medication from your doc to allow your body to cope without the alcohol in your system.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

What can I expect???

thank you guys for your input/support, but there has got to be someone out there that can relate to my situation. Is there a MD here that I can talk to , no pressuure or liability. Just someone willing to and able to give me some answers.
          Thanks for your support guys, it means alot. But I`m desperate for some answers. Because I am , or appear to be in control (as long as I`m drinking) But I and Only I know that I am just a click away from a total meltdown and total loss of control. You see, I have rededecated my life to christ and I feel there is no turning back for me. I also have people in my life that have no idea or understanding of where I am , trying to guide me. And even they are trying to help I feel there are guiding me through their desires/hopes without really knowing what the consequences (phisically/ mentally) could be. So in short, I NEED INFO, AND LOTS OF IT... Someone please help!!!

Comment

What can I expect???

Hi there

There is a section on this thread about withdrawals. I haven't seen too many doctors on the site. there is one but i can't remember his name. Maybe Dr Mike? something like that.

So, sorry to say that if there are doctors in the house, they don't identify themselves as such.

Read what you can and maybe call AA? perhaps they can refer you for an anonymous medical consult? sorry i cannot be of much help. Heavy drinkers need medical attention to avoid the bad withdrawal effects so please please seek help.

Comment

What can I expect???

Hello, there.

There are many here who can relate to your situation. Several have gone through serious withdrawals and a couple or so have mentioned seizures.

If you are in the category of very heavy drinker, and it sounds like you are, at the very least go to a doctor and discuss with him/her that you are now abstaining.

There are meds they can give you to help keep you from having seizures and you only take them for a short while and taper down off them.

Best of luck to you!!
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

What can I expect???

Thanks guys, I really think I know and have known for some time now how I should start (w/a docctor) out. Just the shame of walking in that office and asking for help has kept me a bay. I guess I have been looking for something that is not there, a magic bullet or something. I know I`ve got to take the first step to start , and one thing is for sure. Talking to people here is helping build the courage to take that step. Thanks agian to all.

Comment

What can I expect???

hi KJ, and welcome here. I'm no doc however I've done a fair bit of research for my own knowledge. Not a lot of docs will let you detox at home unless they know you fairly well...but it's worth a try. No matter what happens I would immediately start taking B1 (Thiamine) twice or three times per day. Can't really OD on it and it will prevent some brain damage that results from drinking and withdrawals. I'd try to get a total of 600 to 900mg per day. I take a reduced amount of 250mg now once per day.
                  If you can gradually taper down over a period of a month or so it's a great idea but I could never make that work reliably myself...I'd keep slipping up after drinking a certain ammount. Please keep in touch and hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in here.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

What can I expect???

Thanks Determiinator, I have been getting alot of support from others but no real helpful information. If tappering is possible to do w/o serious health risk, that is what I would like to try at this point. I just can`t see myself locked up for a week or so being detoxed. Because like many others, the people around me are not aware of how bad alcohol has a grip on me and I don`t want to lose the respect of those around me. I have a very good career, good marriage, but I have suffered financially. I never could have imagined that drinking alcohol could be as costly as it has become. Thanks, again!

Comment

What can I expect???

Hi Hope

I am no expert on anything but I have been through withdrawal more than a few times after drinking buckets full of scotch on a daily basis for a good many years.

I have now been sober for almost 3. I am also a retired R.N. I think that every individual considering quitting or controlling their drinking should consult a physician.

I know that this is easier said than done. Especially in the U.S.

Cold turkey is never a good idea, in my opinion, and in the medical community at large. Withdrawal can quickly become a medical emergency and result in death from heart failure and seizures. It is horrendous and painful in oh so many ways. I've done it, not by choice, seized, and ended up in hospital.

Some believe in tapering down, I don't and I'll tell you why.

It takes remarkable willpower- to time and measure your next "dose" and to be honest with yourself. I don't think it's safe as I don't think it's a good way of maintaining a constant level of alcohol in your system. This method frightens me almost as much as cold turkey. I know that there are those here who have done it but I don't know how many of those good people are now AF. Perhaps they might respond.

Medication such as librium or valium are given for withdrawal symptoms ie shakes, nausea, hallucinations and to help you sleep. They are tapered down over 3 to 5 days and along with lots of fluid, good food and vitamins withdrawal is tolerable. By taking a medication you are assured of a constant level of drug in your system. A detox centre is one route to go, another is rehab, or your GP.

BUT.........all of this depends on how much and for how long you have been drinking. I can't determine that for you. Only you and your physician can.

Unfortunately there still is the stigma associated with this "disease" and we all have to deal with it. You just might find, however, that by being honest about your desire to slay the demon you will earn the respect of your significant others.

I hope this helps. Welcome. I'm glad you're here.

Magic xx
                      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                      I am in the next seat.
                      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

What can I expect???

You guys are scaring me. Does a bottle of wine most nights constitute hardcore drinking and am I at risk of seizures and possible death if I don't detox without a doctor's care? I know that I feel worse the day(s) after when I am able to go AF, but I don't feel like I am at death's door. Besides medical intervention, in the whole process of getting the poison out of my system, I am curious if I should do more than drink lots of water and take vitamins. I appreciate the suggestion of taking lots of B1, although the brain damage comment was quite frightening. Most vitamin supplements make me sick to my stomach, although I have a pharmacy of vitamins in my cupboard (no B1 though-- I will pick some up and hope it doesn't make me sick.) I'd rather follow a certain diet specific to meeting deficiencies in vitamins and minerals because of alcohol abuse, but I'm in need specific information.. It's really difficult to find any information on the internet about detoxing at home. Everyone refers you to medical centers, AA, etc...Anyone come across information regarding diet that offsets the affects of alcohol damage?

Thanks,

Julie

Comment

What can I expect???

I was drinking 2+ bottles of wine most nights, I was able to stop/detox without medical intervention. However this was me, I'm sure it is not the same for everyone, so please consider that even though I was fine, you may not be. I was irritable and didn't sleep well the first few nights, even a bit sweaty in bed at times. I'm sure this was some withdrawals, however nothing serious, the supplements did help a great deal.
                          Marcie

Comment

Working...
                          X